An imposter is amongst us...

figgis

...and I'm not talking about that swine who turned up at the Club last week claiming to have attended our School - had the right tie, knew the School Song and everything - but who wasn't quite the ticket, don'tchyer know. Something about him was off and it wasn't just the fact he disliked gin. Nobody could remember him, for a start, though that's nothing unusual after a lifetime's enthusiatic consumption from the barrel. No, what finally outed this cad was that he knew nothing about The Stick & Pineapple Shove, our traditional rite of passage from Upper Fifth to Lower Sixth which everyone knows and is (or should be) in utter dread of from day one. So we rounded up the required components and enlightened him. Lord, he could squeal, but that should teach him not to impersonate his betters :thumbsup: He should be walking in a month or two, but I digress...

What ho,

With one of Gussie's fields harvested I fired up the Jenks and had a go at it. It's not a productive field by any means but it was a lovely day and I was finally swinging a coil again so any find amongst the moo tubes was going to be a bonus. Had a few enjoyable hours on the stubble and was very happy with the pewter spout which is a first for me and looks to be carrying a bit of age, then decided to head back. I was tired and as it's the furthest field from the parking I cadged a piggyback off Great Aunt who started wheezing after a bit and kept stumbling over the rucksack she was forced to carry in front of her so we stopped to give her a breather. We just happened to be next to the Roman field so I decided to have a quick swing in the tramlines and bare spots, and as usual this field came up trumps with a nice 1stC strip bow brooch and a possibly identifiable grot. But the last signal of the day in a tramline proved the star find.

The signal was iffy in the extreme, with a huge iron grunt finish, but there was a brightness in there that convinced me to dig it. Sure enough, the clod gave a bright ping when out and searching in it I saw a small, blank square item which I took to be the back of a coin weight. I turned it over and removed some of the soil to reveal what looked like a cross, which threw a bit of a spanner into the coin weight theory, and there were reddish depressions in the quarters. I checked the hole and sure enough there was still a lump of iron in it (hence the grunt) and I presumed the red to be rust, but I decided to clean it properly at home. A little water and soft brushing revealed, for the second time in a few months, some enamelling to my find and the coin weight was transformed into a lovely little Roman seal box lid :thumbsup: It's lozenge-shaped rather than square and the missing hinge would possibly have been at the top of the image.
seal box lid.jpg
seal box lid back.jpg
Here's the best of the rest, by the way:
14-08-21 80acre & footpath.jpg
Goes to prove that one should always trust one's lugholes, eh? And ain't it nice when a find has a pleasant surprise in store for us?

Pip pip :thumbsup:
mattjb

Nice work, a good day’s detecting there :thumbsup:
Easylife

Well done. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

What a great opening paragraphium :lol: :lol:
Followed by a great find of a coin weight metamorphosing into a Roman Seal box lid, talk about turning water into Gin, think that`s what the miracle was. Superb.
Would have been happy to find the other items at the moment.
If you can find the box, you could put Cath`s Sestertius in there. :P
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Reiver

Great finds ,great write up :clapping:
Well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
Reiver.
figgis

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:24 pm talk about turning water into Gin
That's what the alchemists got wrong in my opinion, Dave. Just imagine - if they'd spent all that effort on turning water into gin rather than base metal into gold... how much better the world would be today :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Loved that write up Mr Figgis :thumbsup: . So nice to see some new artefact types amongst the coinage too. Never find much Roman artefact stuff. I wouldn’t mind that type of thing that much. Some of it is beautifully made and the buckles can be stunners.

Hope you get out more now the harvest is in and the servants are back from their annual days holiday :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:01 pm Hope you get out more now the harvest is in and the servants are back from their annual days holiday :D
Day's holiday? 20 minutes if they're lucky, and even then they're on Gin Watch :thumbsup: