This mornings bits and some family history returned

mattjb

With the other half and young un visiting the in-laws oop north (well Stoke is classed as oop north when you live in Bristol!) ,I was a free man again today. Loads of jobs to do at home but it would be rude not to go detecting again wouldn’t it?!
A field was being harvested when I left the permission yesterday and though I couldn’t remember ever finding much on it when I last had a go 15 years ago I decided to give it a go as more favourable fields were still under crop.
I started gridding the end nearest the farm and half a buckle turned up straight away ( I’m getting good at finding half buckles!). Soon after a few buttons and two lead tokens came up. One of the tokens is tiny and the larger has the letters DA on the back. For some reason I’ve got a soft spot for lead tokens so was pleased with that.
A George V half penny, toasted Georgian penny and what looks like a corroded thin Roman coin came along and then signals petered out so I decided to zig zag my way up to be the other end of the field.
Apart from modern junk nothing turned up until I had a real banger of a signal, got to be a can I thought but a nice horse brass dated 1919 appeared. I recognised the surname on it as the farmers and a text sent to him revealed it was his grandfather’s and I was pleased to hand it over to him when he passed in the tractor.It will look great when it’s cleaned up and shiny again.Finding that piece of family history and returning it made my day.
Name and location removed from pic.
Attachments
E77F4C30-045A-4C46-AE86-5A446AB5B5FD.jpeg
6D5676B9-D466-4F73-B0EC-DC67B4B447A7.jpeg
Easylife

What a great find, that should keep you in good books with the farmer. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Always good when you can return some family History.
Well done, :thumbsup:
Dave.
mattjb

Forgot to add , I also dug up a lorry!
(It won’t compete with a silver Roman and quarter stater though!)
Attachments
1E58E9F0-6444-44B8-9F7E-ED30D7381C0E.jpeg
Oxgirl

Lol loving the truck :D

Being serious, isn’t finding family things such great fun! I’ve given a couple of oblong horse brasses back to one farmer - they were his grandad’s from around 1900 and have his initials on. He loves them.

Love the lead tokens too. So nice to get ones with designs on!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:05 pm Lol loving the truck :D

Being serious, isn’t finding family things such great fun! I’ve given a couple of oblong horse brasses back to one farmer - they were his grandad’s from around 1900 and have his initials on. He loves them.

Love the lead tokens too. So nice to get ones with designs on!
I’ve only found a couple of brasses before and they were plain with no writing so it was really nice to find that one with its family history to give it to him.
The bigger lead token is a thin one,the ones I have found before are much chunkier
figgis

Good work :thumbsup: It's easy to forget that everything we find belonged to someone and to reunite something with descendants of the original owner is a rare opportunity.
Jamesey1981

Some nice finds there, nice to find something with a bit of family history for the landowner, and I like the tokens, I like lead tokens, they're a nice connection to the working man of the past. :thumbsup:
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/