First finds of the season

BuriedByTime&Dust

First go on a field that was kind to me last year. It's still in wheat stubble though, so detecting was inefficient to say the least.

Lots of pieces of lead are an indicator that there is plenty more there to find when the field is disked, but it did throw up a few grotty georgian/victorian coppers, a musket ball, a 17th c. buckle and a solitary roman bronze (Constantine). It also turned up a surface find in the form of a vape pen that I presume fell out of the combine during the harvest because it was in the middle of the field!

It was a reminder of how tough stubble detecting is though, so I'm looking forward to the disking being done.
Attachments
vape.jpg
finds170821.jpg
Dave The Slave

Well done on the 2 finds pictured, plus your others.
Bet the Tractor driver is fuming or rather not fuming over the loss of his vapor.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

As you say, detecting stubble isn't as effective but you managed a couple of decent finds there and by the sounds of it there's more to come :thumbsup:
pmm212

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm First go on a field that was kind to me last year. It's still in wheat stubble though, so detecting was inefficient to say the least.

Lots of pieces of lead are an indicator that there is plenty more there to find when the field is disked, but it did throw up a few grotty georgian/victorian coppers, a musket ball, a 17th c. buckle and a solitary roman bronze (Constantine). It also turned up a surface find in the form of a vape pen that I presume fell out of the combine during the harvest because it was in the middle of the field!

It was a reminder of how tough stubble detecting is though, so I'm looking forward to the disking being done.
Bring on the discing i very much agree
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dr otek pin pointer and etrac, not everyone's cuppa, but we're finding stuff
BuriedByTime&Dust

I'm told that next year's crop is sugar beet. That will get things turned over :thumbsup:
Easylife

No doubt there will be some great bits to come. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Right now I’m dreaming about stubble because I’ve nowhere to go :cry: I’ll be cursing it after 5 minutes though cause it is awful isn’t it!

Really glad you got out and some good finds there. Unsurprisingly I’m going to gloss over the Roman (although that’s the star really) to the buckle, because it’s got a lovely patina and I have a soft spot for asymmetric buckles :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:43 pm I have a soft spot for asymmetric buckles :Star:
I like asymmetric anything, it just has more character as well as usually being older. :D
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:43 pm Right now I’m dreaming about stubble because I’ve nowhere to go :cry: I’ll be cursing it after 5 minutes though cause it is awful isn’t it!

Really glad you got out and some good finds there. Unsurprisingly I’m going to gloss over the Roman (although that’s the star really) to the buckle, because it’s got a lovely patina and I have a soft spot for asymmetric buckles :Star:
Stubble isn't great, but as you say, it's better than nothing. Well it is for the first hour - after that it gets to be very tiring! :problem:

This field has produced countless featureless roman coins (I can't get excited about grots either!) so it was nice to get just one and find that it had decent detail on it.

Undetected fields will open up soon, but this one has been the most productive so far at that farm so I'm not too upset that it's going to be the only one available for the next week or so.
Easylife

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:02 pm Undetected fields will open up soon, but this one has been the most productive so far at that farm so I'm not too upset that it's going to be the only one available for the next week or so.
The way that I see it is that the losses have laid there for hundreds of years so a few more weeks, months, or even years aren't going to make too much difference if only you detect it. But the wonder of what another undetected field may bring? :Party: :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:15 pm The way that I see it is that the losses have laid there for hundreds of years so a few more weeks, months, or even years aren't going to make too much difference if only you detect it. But the wonder of what another undetected field may bring? :Party: :thumbsup:
There are a few undetected fields still to be explored on this farm, but undetected does not always mean productive. One of them has a small moated wood of unknown origin in the centre (not recorded and certainly not scheduled) and looked fantastic. The soil type was also not the typical heavy clay of this area, so hopes were very high when a mate and I got on it last year. However, after three full days, we had almost nothing to show for our efforts - a post-medieval buckle apiece and a few buttons. There might well be a good random drop find to be found on that field somewhere, but signals of any kind were very few and far between.