Lost it Found it Lost it Again

keyfits

Lost it Found it Lost it Again

My first day on a new permission started very promising, 3rd signal in, dug the clod and checked that the target was out then used the pinpointer but not a peep, so used the old method of grabbing a handful of dirt at a time and waving it across the coil, eventually it was in my hand and i continued to split the dirt until i was left with a tiny piece that still brought my coil to life. Wiping the soil off a tiny piice of metal revealed my first hammered coin albeit a broken one.

During that day a must have looked at this amazing chard bit of history 20 times, as this is the holy grail for a lot of detectorists, but knowing nothing about hammered coins i had no idea what monarch or date it was?

This find spurred me on all that day before returning to my car where i placed the tiny coin in my glasses case and put the case in my detecting bag for safe keeping, but to my horror when i went to take it out of my glasses case later it had gone, i still relive that heart sinking feeling even now from time to time, anyway searching through my bag to my relief there it was, it had fallen out of the glasses case in to the bottom of the bag.

I detected this field periodically for months afterwards, thinking there will be more hammered here, but no it was the only thing of real interest that i found on this Roman Road field before a compulsory purchase order kicked in for a new road to go right through the field and 13 more neighbouring farm fields that i had permission on.

The hammered coin took pride of place in my collection concealed in a money bag, the kind you get from the Bank, along with other cherished finds until one day i decided to take some better photos of a gold sovereign that i had found that also shared the money bag. Once the photo shoot was over i carefully replaced all the contents back in to the money bag happy that the new photos were a lot better than my first attempt.

Later, about two weeks later, i decided also to take better photos of the hammered coin and once again emptied the contents of the money bag on to the table and guess what "NO BLOODY HAMMERED COIN" here came that sinking feeling again. During the next few days i searched everywhere but to no avail it had gone for good this time, i can only assume that it dropped on to the floor and was hoovered up shortly afterwards.

On the bright side, if there is one, at least i found a hammered coin and also had pictures to prove it but still not sure what monarch it's from, FLO suggested Elizabeth 1 from the photo and i would agree looking at the shield but the bust looks different or is that just me.

I know that in certain parts of the Country some detectorists trip over hammered coins but where i live not so much, but at least if its gone to landfill via the hoover you never know it might get found again in another few hundred years or so by a futuristic detectorist.

"Lost but never forgotten"

If you can identify the Monarch please let me know?
One Victoria Halfpenny.jpg
Two Victoria Halfpenny.jpg
figgis

Think the obverse is upside down. Looks like Elizabeth to me :thumbsup:
keyfits

Well spotted i think you are right, just goes to show how much i know about hammered coins. The benefits of a good forum (You live and learn)
Thanks for your input much appreciated.
Easylife

It looks a bit suspect to me, not so much wear but more just poor quality? I'm going Elizabeth I, London mint, Zero mint mark for 1600. :thumbsup:
Your next one will be very much better and this one will soon be forgotten! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Looks like a Lizzie to me too, but I’m not any expert!

Glad you found a photo at least, especially as it was your first coin! Congratulations on that :Party:

If it’s any help I have done the losing stuff hockey cocky before too - found a cut quarter, lost in the bag when the finds box came open, found a few weeks later and then lost again in the house - but don’t have a photo and it was a lovely one :oops:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
keyfits

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 pm It looks a bit suspect to me, not so much wear but more just poor quality? I'm going Elizabeth I, London mint, Zero mint mark for 1600. :thumbsup:
Your next one will be very much better and this one will soon be forgotten! :D
Thank you for your detailed information. Found a couple of years ago but wont forget the euphoria of finding my first and only one to date.
keyfits

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 pm Looks like a Lizzie to me too, but I’m not any expert!

Glad you found a photo at least, especially as it was your first coin! Congratulations on that :Party:

If it’s any help I have done the losing stuff hockey cocky before too - found a cut quarter, lost in the bag when the finds box came open, found a few weeks later and then lost again in the house - but don’t have a photo and it was a lovely one :oops:
I know that feeling all to well.