Hi from The Cambridgeshire Fens

mattjb

Dale wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 pm I do a fair bit of piking on the local drains so I'm familiar with Ramsey.
I'm in Farcet :thumbsup:
Hi Dale, another pike fishing detectorist here so you are not alone there!
Dale

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:40 am Hi Dale, another pike fishing detectorist here so you are not alone there!
Hiya Matt, you'll know me from The Pit (Tiercel) :thumbsup:
mattjb

Dale wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:25 am Hiya Matt, you'll know me from The Pit (Tiercel) :thumbsup:
I remembered there was a Dale with a different user name on the Pit and wondered if it was you. Funnily enough I started a detecting thread on there the other day in the non fishing section.
TheFenTiger

There is another detectorist that detects not far from you in the Yaxley area and is known as Widgeon on another detecting forum. Detects a lot of land that was around Whittlesey mere. And there is a social detecting club in Ramsey. They are on facebook.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 am I remembered there was a Dale with a different user name on the Pit and wondered if it was you. Funnily enough I started a detecting thread on there the other day in the non fishing section.
Is it the state of pike fishing these days that we are all turning to detecting? :lol:

I've fished the fens quite a lot over the years and those dark soil fields always look promising from a detecting perpective :thumbsup:
TheFenTiger

Where Dale is is not far at all from Must Farm and there are some barrows in that area so bronze and iron age stuff is a possibility. My dad and uncle found a bronze spear and flint arrow heads close by when they were growing up.
Dave
mattjb

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 am Is it the state of pike fishing these days that we are all turning to detecting? :lol:

I've fished the fens quite a lot over the years and those dark soil fields always look promising from a detecting perpective :thumbsup:
Yep living in the Bristol area the pike fishing isn’t great especially now Chew isn’t what it was!
Dale

mattjb wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 am
I remembered there was a Dale with a different user name on the Pit and wondered if it was you. Funnily enough I started a detecting thread on there the other day in the non fishing section.
You certainly did Matt and once my head is straight ( got alot going on at the moment ) I'm sure I'll post on it :thumbsup:
Dale

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:36 am There is another detectorist that detects not far from you in the Yaxley area and is known as Widgeon on another detecting forum. Detects a lot of land that was around Whittlesey mere. And there is a social detecting club in Ramsey. They are on facebook.
Yaxley is within about a mile from my village.
I know about the club in Ramsey but I believe they're not taking new members. To be honest these clubs don't interest me at the moment as I prefer to detect on my own permission either alone or with a guest who usually doesn't have a permission of their own :thumbsup:
Dale

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 am
I've seen your avatar on The Pit so I'm pretty sure I know who you are :thumbsup:
There's plenty of those dark soiled fields around me, but sadly permissions as you know are hard to come by.
TheFenTiger

Dale wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 pm I know about the club in Ramsey but I believe they're not taking new members. To be honest these clubs don't interest me at the moment as I prefer to detect on my own permission either alone or with a guest who usually doesn't have a permission of their own :thumbsup:
They are not meeting at the moment but I don't think they are stopping people joining. It is a social club as they have no land but meet up in Ramsey to ID finds and have a general chat.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

Dale wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:19 pm I've seen your avatar on The Pit so I'm pretty sure I know who you are :thumbsup:
There's plenty of those dark soiled fields around me, but sadly permissions as you know are hard to come by.
Very true. Landowners are generally wary of granting access to their land to someone that they've never met before. If I was in their shoes I think I would be too, so it's understandable.