Spur part.

Dave The Slave

Returned a finds reference book to my detecting friend , prior to embarking on our 4th search of the season.
What i liked about this book was, it showed the progression and development of items from their earliest to latest recording with PAS.
While looking at horse related items, mentioned my first ever find was a stirrup 40 years ago, may even have been 41 or even 42.
Arriving at a field we were waiting to get on, my first signal which also happened to be my first, had a Bronze look to it, nice dark green patina, did not have a clue as to what it was, as my friend was still nearby showed it to her and with the diagonal pattern on the ringed bit at one end , both thought it could be old, Saxon, Roman. There was a mud encrusted groove in the middle, two holes at the one end and it had the overall look of a Percy and as you know the Romans liked their phallic symbols.
alas that was to be the best find of the session, 10 items dug on rock hard ground.
Best other find was a livery button featuring a Pegasus made by ....IN AND SONS, lONDON ?
Before i had even got home, had a text from my friend, id`ing the best find as the part of the spur that holds the wheel part.
No way would i have got that prior to posting on here.
So 40 years after finding that stirrup, finally had my first piece of spur and also older than last weeks 1893 6d, so slowly progressing back through History.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Nice medieval rowel box. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Nice one Dave, and a total different experience to your usual beach detecting forays
Long may it continue and looking forward to more finds to show us :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

That’s a cool find! There’s a guide on PAS that might help date it better. It’s here
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 pm That’s a cool find! There’s a guide on PAS that might help date it better. It’s here
Thanks for the link, Cath which i have already come across and thanks for all the replies..
Have not found an exact match as yet, trawling through the PAS database.
Will be my first find of the season to try and have recorded, more so due to the patterning at the one end.
Cheers and good luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Dave The Slave

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 pm That’s a cool find! There’s a guide on PAS that might help date it better. It’s here
Thanks for the link, Cath which i have already come across and thanks for all the replies..
Have not found an exact match as yet, trawling through the PAS database.
Will be my first find of the season to try and have recorded, more so due to the patterning at the one end.
Cheers and good luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Easylife wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:45 pm I'd say that this is close enough.
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/892909
Great link, Easy. :thumbsup:
Would say you are spot on the description of the marks matches.
Well done Sir and Thank You for your time. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.