Unusual trade weight/token

Kenleyboy

Back out on the fields again for a few hours , this being a more strenuous one on a freshly ploughed strip of the land , nice and fresh and very soft soil . The weather was warm but overcast with the occaisional burst of sunshine creeping through the grey sky and with Autumn not too far away , my season begins again on my favourite permission .
20210902_183201_resized[7224]loughed field.jpg
I have to admit this was rather hard going , only the previous visit this was all stubble and I struggled with the sea of barley stalks but I still did ok but with the soft sinking soil and huge clumps of freshly turned mud made walking a bit of a task .
There are high hopes though , the plough scooping up deep furrows of earth , cutting and shifting the soil into hopefully fresh exciting finds but the downside are the numerous air pockets and whatever was scooped up was most likely buried just that little too deep for the coil to pick up.
Plenty of iron and numerous scraps of foil and aluminium and of course buttons .
20210902_191451_resized[7225]spade of scrap.jpg
My first interesting find was a remnant of world war 11 , a bullet casing stamped DM 42 no doubt expelled from one of the many American bombers that graced the skies in those far off turbulent days . I have found a number of these large calibre shells even a few in my Garden and with one of the many now defunct airfields just a stones throw away it is little wonder that the fields are littered with them .
My one and only top find was from a really pleasant two way signal , it was sharp and clean and turned out to be a nice looking circular lump of lead with a stamped central decoration . I am not entirely sure whether its a gaming piece or trade token of sorts .
32mm diameter and 4mm thick so a nice chunky piece of history .
There is a crown above within a circle and beneath looks like numbers or possibly a key symbol , very hard to decipher but a nice addition to the finds cabinet .
20210903_081029_resized[7236]trade weight.jpg
shaggybfc

nice trade weight :thumbsup: quick calc suggests it's about 36.5 g (1.25oz)
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Blackadder43

Nice one fella, a few holes dug there and as you say, new ground almost with the plough turning things over
I read somewhere once that it takes 7 ploughs to bring the field back to its original state, how much truth in that i dont know
But i imagine 3 or 4 ploughs into a field would be optimal for the deeper finds

Your Deus should handle the airy soil far better than my Nox would :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Good to see you out and about, Paul.
Only did ploughed once on the Rodney Cook 2019 rally, awkward to walk over and lack of signal, so you have done well there.
DM42 Headstamp, Des Moines, Iowa
May be going onto a field this Monday that has WW2 practice stuff, hiding the older items.
Shame you did not find the Token/Gaming piece last week, would have been a suitable entry for the restorative pencil draw.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:21 pm Good to see you out and about, Paul.
Only did ploughed once on the Rodney Cook 2019 rally, awkward to walk over and lack of signal, so you have done well there.
DM42 Headstamp, Des Moines, Iowa
May be going onto a field this Monday that has WW2 practice stuff, hiding the older items.
Shame you did not find the Token/Gaming piece last week, would have been a suitable entry for the restorative pencil draw.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Thanks for the ID on the shell casing . :thumbsup:
figgis

Blimey, you're more determined than me when it comes to rough ploughed, KB, and the return you had finds-wise makes me think perhaps I shouldn't turn my nose up at it. Mind you, the soil is comprised of a lot of clay and a bit of an ankle breaker for the unwary.

I don't think I've had a field yet where I didn't turn up some form of munition, but that's all down to the part of the world we live in, eh?
Pete E

figgis wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:33 pm
I don't think I've had a field yet where I didn't turn up some form of munition, but that's all down to the part of the world we live in, eh?
My old history teacher used to reckon no matter how far back you go, that you can not find more than a ten year period in British history when we haven't been been involved in some conflict or war, either home or abroad...
Oxgirl

I tried some ploughed yesterday and didn’t last long :thumbdown: . Wasn’t expecting it - 5 days after harvesting is unusual for my farmers. Assuming they are going for a fast seed.

You did well in those conditions. Great weight :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking