BBC News

figgis

A BBC News article which is a little more informative about the law for a change :thumbsup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-58001604
Pete E

It makes a change to see the hobby presented in a good light. I know very few detectors who try to derive monitory gains from the hobby and most are gutted if they need to sell a "good" find to pay the landowner half its value...

I was out yesterday with an internet Club and some really nice finds came up, ( not for me sadly!) including two treasure items, but not once did I hear anyone discuss potential cash values rather all were interested in the historic nature of the items....
Steve RC

Since when did reporting single gold or silver coin finds to the PAS become law ? I must have missed that change.

Presumably the author of the article has become confused with reporting Treasure items which actually need to be reported to the coroner for the district. Natually this sends the wrong message when it is is picked up on a Google search as fact.

Imagine the problems if one had to report all finds to the FLO. I cant even get mine to take any in for recording and the wait for returns is endless Covid or no Covid.
figgis

Steve RC wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:11 pm Since when did reporting finds to the PAS become law ? I must have missed that change.
And I think I must have missed that part of the article :lol: It certainly references reporting of potential treasure, but I can't see where it suggests reporting of all finds is mandatory.
Steve RC

The wording used suggests that any single coin find made of gold or silver over 300 years old must be reported to the PAS - that means a single hammered coin for example would need to be reported as potential Treasure.

The coroner is also the reporting point for Treasure finds unless that is changed following the ongoing TAct Review.