PAS Find of note

Jamesey1981

My silver unit has finally made it on to the database, and it has been designated as a Find of note, county/local importance. I'm guessing this is down to the excellent condition.

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... id/1020138

What does this mean in practice? First time this has been done with one of my finds and I'm wondering if I am now king of sussex or something, or if it might mean that this one might get used as a reference example in their literature or something like that?

Anyone know?
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
shaggybfc

That's a beauty Jamesey :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Jamesey1981

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 pm That's a beauty Jamesey :thumbsup:
Thanks, I was pretty happy with this one, quite a while ago now, last summer. Still can't believe the condition of it, has been ducking the plough for 2000 years and not been hit once!

Oxgirl

Ohhh nice! :Star:

Sometimes finds of note are included in the annual PAS/ Treasure report - I had a scrappy 17th century trade token included last year. Otherwise it just means it’s important for your local area - a unique or rare find in the area where found. You’ll find out in December when the report is published :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Jamesey1981

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:27 am Ohhh nice! :Star:

Sometimes finds of note are included in the annual PAS/ Treasure report - I had a scrappy 17th century trade token included last year. Otherwise it just means it’s important for your local area - a unique or rare find in the area where found. You’ll find out in December when the report is published :D
That makes sense, thanks for that, I'll keep a look out in December.

I'll be giving her the quarter stater to record soon so we'll see what she thinks of that one, the condition isn't quite as nice as it's a bit worn on one half but it's still pretty good.

Dave The Slave

Ref the Find of Note.
Had this in the write up of a description on a Vespasian Denarius.
As it was in my first batch of recordable finds, when i went to collect them, asked whether this was due to rarity for that area or condition.
FLO said it was neither but out of the finds taken in over a certain period, one for including in their regular reports to their managers.
However you also have County/Local importance which would be due to rarity/condition in my eyes.
Well deserved Official recognition on a lovely coin. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Jamesey1981

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:53 pm Ref the Find of Note.
Had this in the write up of a description on a Vespasian Denarius.
As it was in my first batch of recordable finds, when i went to collect them, asked whether this was due to rarity for that area or condition.
FLO said it was neither but out of the finds taken in over a certain period, one for including in their regular reports to their managers.
However you also have County/Local importance which would be due to rarity/condition in my eyes.
Well deserved Official recognition on a lovely coin. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Thanks, I'll ask her what the reason for the designation is when I see her to pick them up and drop off my next heap of finds, in the similar items section there's one other that is also so designated, but not in quite such a nice condition, and one that isn't designated, but is pretty worn, that's why I was thinking it's down to the condition.

I didn't even have to clean it, it came out of the ground with all the high points shiny and the low points dark, exactly how I would want a coin of this age to look, quite staggering on a heavily cultivated bit of arable land.

Pete E

I think the designation means you're expected to drop off off some cream cakes next time you visit your FLO! :D

Joking apart, it's very nice find and it's good that it's been recongistised as something a bit special by the archaeological establishment..
Jamesey1981

Pete E wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:20 pm I think the designation means you're expected to drop off off some cream cakes next time you visit your FLO! :D

Joking apart, it's very nice find and it's good that it's been recongistised as something a bit special by the archaeological establishment..
Surely I should get the cream cake??? :Thinking:

It was nice to see that, she hadn't told me she'd done it.

One of the reasons I record everything is to keep a record for myself, so it's nice to get a gold star on one as it were.

I really want a cream cake now.....

figgis

Blimey, that coin's a belter! Well done :thumbsup:

A "find of note" can be recorded as such for any number of reasons and my avatar (a statuette of Mercury) was recorded like that and it does give a huge sense of satisfaction to have contributed to the knowledge database and be recognised for it.

Hopefully you'll get a few more :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

figgis wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:16 pm Blimey, that coin's a belter! Well done :thumbsup:

A "find of note" can be recorded as such for any number of reasons and my avatar (a statuette of Mercury) was recorded like that and it does give a huge sense of satisfaction to have contributed to the knowledge database and be recognised for it.

Hopefully you'll get a few more :thumbsup:
I'm wondering if my quarter stater may be so designated, have to wait and see.

Here's a couple of photos I took when I found it, bear in mind I haven't cleaned it at all, amazing really.
Attachments
20200816_141951.jpg
20200816_142028.jpg

alloverover

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:40 pm I'm wondering if my quarter stater may be so designated, have to wait and see.

Here's a couple of photos I took when I found it, bear in mind I haven't cleaned it at all, amazing really.
Absolutely cracking coin that one Jamesey :thumbsup:
PAS should of used your, in focus photos rather than the ones they took, they dont do it justice :thumbsup:

Whats the quarter stater ?
Jamesey1981

I have already posted the quarter stater on here for ID when I found it, but since you asked I'm going to take that as my cue to post it again, these are better photos than last time too.
Attachments
FE630352-4601-4198-B9D9-87007ECC21CC.jpg
191F1011-1AFC-4397-8A00-0DE4A251E5C0.jpg

alloverover

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:04 pm I have already posted the quarter stater on here for ID when I found it, but since you asked I'm going to take that as my cue to post it again, these are better photos than last time too.
Afraid you wont get a find of note for that one, lovely as it is its a fairly common type in reasonable condition whereas the silver unit is just a little less common but in the condition its in is indeed, a find of note :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

alloverover wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:12 pm Afraid you wont get a find of note for that one, lovely as it is its a fairly common type in reasonable condition whereas the silver unit is just a little less common but in the condition its in is indeed, a find of note :thumbsup:
That's what I was thinking, it's really good on one half but pretty worn on the other. I'm still happy with it though.:)