PAS Find of note

Emily

It says that you got it back, so at least you get to look after it and it wasn’t a forced sale to a museum or something. ☺️
Live long and prospect
stanslad

What a lovely find & at least you got it back, well done.
My silver Viking find was classed as National Importance & then they kept it,
that was after it had been in my cabinet for 10 years, then I took it to the new FLO for info about it when they started visiting local museums.
Clint :cry:
Jamesey1981

stanslad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:52 pm What a lovely find & at least you got it back, well done.
that was after it had been in my cabinet for 10 years, then I took it to the new FLO for info about it when they started visiting local museums.
How did they justify that exactly? Was it an artifact? Therefore treasure?

Unless it's a treasure find or the landowner wants it I'm keeping it, lol.

I haven't got it back yet, but she's nearly finished this batch so it will be coming back soon.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
alloverover

stanslad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:52 pm What a lovely find & at least you got it back, well done.
One of the best detecting finds ive seen that was Clint, other than the big hoards :thumbsup:
stanslad

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:09 pm How did they justify that exactly? Was it an artifact? Therefore treasure?

Yep, it was a sword scabbard mount/hanger thingy,
They had it for 2 years, did metal tests on it to confirm it was guilded silver & also soil tests on some bits still left in a recess in the back as they didn't believe I'd found it in this country & where I said I'd found it!
It went to Denmark where an expert told them & showed them similar Viking copper alloy ones, then went through treasure process when back at BM.
Clint :roll:
Jamesey1981

stanslad wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 pm Sucks to find out it's treasure and lose it after so long, at least with coins it's quite easy to definitely ID it and unless it's part of a previously discovered hoard then surprises are not so likely.

I have never found anything that qualified as treasure, but although I'd be sad to lose it I'd still be proud to have found it, would be a right kicker if it was after a few years though, it would be a lot easier if I knew on day 1.

Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 pm I have never found anything that qualified as treasure, but although I'd be sad to lose it I'd still be proud to have found it, would be a right kicker if it was after a few years though, it would be a lot easier if I knew on day 1.
I think that it would be easier to part with something after a few years rather than pretty soon after finding it as you have had the initial enjoyment and got used to it. Still a loss but maybe not quite such a great blow? Well that's how finds are for me. I was not that fussed about a really nice gold treasure item I found which a museum bought but would quite like to keep a medieval silver mount that has been going through the process for seemingly forever, but due to circumstances I did have it for about a year. It's great to keep your own pics too! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HolzHammer

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:04 pm I have already posted the quarter stater on here for ID when I found it, but since you asked I'm going to take that as my cue to post it again, these are better photos than last time too.
Now you are just showing off!!! 😁🔥 Beautiful coins I am very jealous!!!!
Jamesey1981

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:06 pm Now you are just showing off!!! 😁🔥 Beautiful coins I am very jealous!!!!
You find more good stuff than me Alex, you'll have to excuse me milking these a bit, lol.