Ring a Ding Ding Bell

Dave The Slave

Strangely apt with the reformation of Abba this week who had a song Ring, Ring Ring, that yesterdays highlight and indeed first find of the day by my detecting companion should be a bell.
Base diameter bang on 1 1/2" height 1and 3/4 " high or 45mm to our younger members.
Entrusted with some light restoration work, before and after photos.
at this point could see the mechanism was still in there but was it attached ?
Given the go ahead to continue, removing soil despite warning the whole mechanism could fall out.
Gingerly did this with the precision of a watchmaker etc, all dirt out heard a slight ding. Called my friend over and said to ring and be the first person to hear it since its loss whenever that was, which she did.
No sign of a makers mark inside. Believe it may be a Horse bell, perhaps last hundred years or so, possibly as far back as Georgian but a great find in my eyes.
Baking hot day, thought the ground would be rock hard but was crumbly and easily dug under the surface. Had been warned there would be munnition fragments from the war and that summed up our day. Personally had 16 finds, 4 largish chunks of wartime shell pieces one of which had No 119 and IV on it, favourite find was the musket ball always a great signal. A solitary button not Military related was the only peaceful find.
Absorbed lots of sunshine, next week will be cooler.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Nice find and a lovely bell :Star: They rarely come out whole :shock: No idea how you coped detecting in this heat today. I didn’t even try it cause I’m a fair maid who would be bright red and irritable in 10 minutes :lol: I’ll wait till it’s drizzly and cold on Thursday :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Not sure I'd have been out in that, either, but hats off for giving it a go :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

How these Aussie Gold hunters do it in the heat, I don’t know.
Kudos for doing it - true Englishness style :lol:
Nice looking bell :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 am How these Aussie Gold hunters do it in the heat, I don’t know.
Kudos for doing it - true Englishness style :lol:
Nice looking bell :thumbsup:
When there is only one day a week that you can get out detecting you go for it. The only times not to go when crop free would be already rain in that location or knowing the ground is frozen. Although it was hot, was also overcast rather than blazing sunshine, which helped. Was actually the only time for at least a year have needed a cool drink, that was not too far away in the car, although there was a bottle with me, that is for emergency or sacrificial use.
Watch Aussie Gold hunters and yes temps of 40 45 degrees C, no way. Worst thing seems to be the constant swarm of flies in their faces :thumbdown: but even so would love the chance of doing that.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

I do like the Aussie Gold hunters, especially the early seasons - where Kellie of the Henri and Kellie team would find the smallest nugget and would almost wet herself with excitement…… that’s me when I find Victorian silver :lol: :lol:
Maybe TDH could arrange a rally over there, subsidised by the MODS,,,,, :thumbsup: :D :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.