Pilgrim Medallion?

Sensorman

I went out on a club dig last weekend and found what I think may be a pilgrim medallion. It is lozenge shaped and around 2mm thick. On one face it has what looks like a sacred heart with hands and feet and ornate crosses with rays emanating from the centre. There is writing around the edge -- I can only make out "In life and in death" - but there is more. On the other face there is a group of two adults with halos and a child between them. Above them is what looks like a bird (dove?) with rays coming out of it. There also appears to be writing on this side but I can't read it. At one end there appears to be a break where there may have been a suspension loop. It appears to be made of pewter or some similar alloy and, based on the writing being in English, I don't think it is very old but if anyone can identify it or has any idea as to its purpose and age, I should be very grateful.
Attachments
Pilgrim_Medal_1.jpg
Pilgrim_Medal_2.jpg
Oxgirl

The reverse depicts Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus with a dove above them, representing the Holy Spirit. On the front you have the bleeding heart surrounded by various symbols, including an olive branch, cross, etc. Definitely Catholic :thumbsup:

It might be pewter or a tin alloy. I’d guess first half of the 19th century from the style of it. Nice find. I’ve never found a modern religious medallion and that one is nice!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Nice find. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Sensorman

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:53 pm The reverse depicts Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus with a dove above them, representing the Holy Spirit. On the front you have the bleeding heart surrounded by various symbols, including an olive branch, cross, etc. Definitely Catholic :thumbsup:

It might be pewter or a tin alloy. I’d guess first half of the 19th century from the style of it. Nice find. I’ve never found a modern religious medallion and that one is nice!
Thanks Oxgirl. When I found it I thought it was a bit off a tractor so it was a great surprise to see some detail and I realised it was religious. I thought the figures might be Jesus, Mary and Joseph. But Jesus is normally depicted as a baby. So I wasn’t sure then. :thumbsup: