... might put this in a separate topic - cos its worth it!

HolzHammer

Evening All,

A bronze 'ring' found today in Norfolk.... not completely cleaned as I want to be a bit careful but now showing signs of red enamel too - I didn't realise out in the field that it had yellow enamelling in the roundels... at first I thought it was one of those 'waisted' lead things you find but I think it is something rather grander now... its too small to be a finger ring...

Any ideas welcome - it feels a bit old!
All the Best
Alexander
Attachments
AVW_5156.jpeg
AVW_5154.jpeg
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:16 pm Evening All,

A bronze 'ring' found today in Norfolk.... not completely cleaned as I want to be a bit careful but now showing signs of red enamel too - I didn't realise out in the field that it had yellow enamelling in the roundels... at first I thought it was one of those 'waisted' lead things you find but I think it is something rather grander now... its too small to be a finger ring...

Any ideas welcome - it feels a bit old!
All the Best
Alexander
Not a clue what it is but I like it!
Oxgirl

That has a distinctly Roman or early medieval feel to it. Love it!

I’ll see if I can find anything similar :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:40 pm That has a distinctly Roman or early medieval feel to it. Love it!

I’ll see if I can find anything similar :thumbsup:
Thanks Cath _ I'm not having much luck... looks like the space outside the roundels had red enamelling... the hole is slightly ovular 13mm one way and 11mm the other... and gosh its nice to hold .... good and weighty!
Easylife

Maybe a bird ring from a dodo? :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

I'm going for a viking or Celtic "hair/beard ring"
Or maybe strung as a bracelet/necklace of the same era

Or should i just make the Tea and let the grown ups answer? :ugeek:
Saffron

I totally agree 100% with mattjb "Not a clue what it is but I like it!" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Would love to see it after its been very carefully cleaned.

Rather worryingly for some strange reason had a silly thought on the same lines as Easylife and thought "That is a fancy pigeon ring" (give me a break folks I have not finished my first coffee of the day yet).

But have a sneaky feeling BA might be onto something when he says.
"I'm going for a viking or Celtic "hair/beard ring"
Or maybe strung as a bracelet/necklace of the same era".

Evan
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:11 pm I'm going for a viking or Celtic "hair/beard ring"
Or maybe strung as a bracelet/necklace of the same era

Or should i just make the Tea and let the grown ups answer? :ugeek:
I think you may be on to something Bruce... if you could see the interior I think you'd agree your claim were even stronger - I will draw it as a photo can't show exactly what I mean....
HolzHammer

Saffron wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:42 am I totally agree 100% with mattjb "Not a clue what it is but I like it!" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Would love to see it after its been very carefully cleaned.

Rather worryingly for some strange reason had a silly thought on the same lines as Easylife and thought "That is a fancy pigeon ring" (give me a break folks I have not finished my first coffee of the day yet).

But have a sneaky feeling BA might be onto something when he says.
"I'm going for a viking or Celtic "hair/beard ring"
Or maybe strung as a bracelet/necklace of the same era".

Evan
Thanks Evan - a drawing to follow but I think you and BA are on the right track....
HolzHammer

I have just posted a video to YouTube showing a proper close up of this which might help with a positive ID so please take a look.
And so as not to get certain members of this forum's Knickers in a Twist, I won't put the link here but please follow the link in my signature!
Many thanks!!
All the Best
Alexander
Blackadder43

HolzHammer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:10 pm I have just posted a video to YouTube showing a proper close up of this which might help with a positive ID so please take a look.
And so as not to get certain members of this forum's Knickers in a Twist, I won't put the link here but please follow the link in my signature!
Many thanks!!
All the Best
Alexander
"certain members" of the forum dont pay its bills, we do, so please would you post the link to your video Alexander :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:17 pm "certain members" of the forum dont pay its bills, we do, so please would you post the link to your video Alexander :thumbsup:
Thanks Bruce - very keen for you especially to give it a watch as I want you to see the groovy sections of the bronze thing and get your take on it!
figgis

I'm currently thinking that BA's claim of making a better brew than an ID is back to front. May or may not be what he says, but it's a cracking thought and I can only hope it's right :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

After watching your video Sir, i am thinking its a very early piece
I'm thinking more a celtic piece as the vikings had different decorations on their beard/hair beads, where as this could quite easily be a celtic type design
Its a lovely piece and definately worthy of some proper investigation with some grown ups who know their onions :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing this with us, and it does open up the possibility that wherever you found that ring/bead, there are bound to be more items of a similar nature
Good luck fella :thumbsup:

Edit:
The decoration is designed to be shown, maybe a status thing
You mention on your youtube channel that it seems a bit heavy to adorn someones beard or hair braids, but maybe you are comparing that to modern day standards
Back then they used what was available
Same as today where jewellery can be worn as a status thing, or making a statement, i think back then was a similar principle
I dont think it had a working use as such, more for show

Double edit:
I know this example is far more decorated than yours is, but it shows the use this type of item had back in the day
The description for this is "Bronze Norse Viking Celtic Beard Beads Rings, Dwarven "
51klD0ez1+L.jpg
Reiver

Nice find sir ! :clapping:

I like the idea of beard ring, and surely has some real age to it.

Well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
Reiver.