Very Hard Earnt Hammered - ID please

Saffron

Despite the heat I risked over 3 1/2 hours out yesterday, obviously on stubble as my normal old pasture is out of bounds in this hot dry spell. So that meant a 45 minute drive to a permission that has been very heavily detected for about 10 years. The ground was like rock and ideally needed a pneumatic drill, and for good measure was in a river valley with alluvial deposits and a lot of large pebbles.

Very few "good" signals and all but one of those turned out to be small lead, foil, and scrap in that order, and due to how the site had been detected previously by "small" I mean "get a magnifying glass small" and spent more time hunting the item once it was out of the hole than when it was burried. The exception being a plain buckle (probably fairly modern).

Eventually admit defeat and start heading back towards the car. Get another TID of 9 on the Nox (using Field 1 in all metal), suspect yet more lead but know I have to dig it, eventually after a lot of searching around in the earth and chaff from the stubble (to add to my woes my pinpointer had died at the start of the session!) out popped this little gem. Due in part to Covid lockdown and restrictions resulting in less detecting I only had one hammered last year and this is my first this year. So although the condition is not great the hard work put into finding it and the wait since the last one makes it worth while.
Sadly no idea what as they all look the same to me, which is why I prefer something like a military or livery button!.
Scale is mm (about 15) so fairly sure its a penny.

Evan
Attachments
DSCN0718.JPG
DSCN0717.JPG
Easylife

Well saved, it's an Eddy I or II, London mint. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
bob79

Nice to see you back on the silver, Evan, well earned.
Have you managed to patch your Nox up after your little tussle with it.
Blackadder43

Ooooh Saffron, looks like persy verance has paid off for you, and goes to show that areas are never really detected out or barren
Things arent lost in a neat pile, they take effort to find after a few hundred years
Nice one fella :thumbsup:
Saffron

bob79 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm Nice to see you back on the silver, Evan, well earned.
Have you managed to patch your Nox up after your little tussle with it.
Hi Bob, I have had a decent selection of milled silver sixpences this year but for old hammered it seems like forever.

After a few days I recovered from the "little tussle" with the Nox .... but sadly it did not. I could turn it on and off and charge it but that was all. Although usable (and it found this), I could not do even basic things like noise cancel, ground balance, change mode or sensitivity. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I contacted Steve at MSR as you suggested, they are not able to repair the control box (Minelab rules as they are waterproof and if repaired might not be!), so had to get a new control box - by chance I eventually sent the old damaged one off today (the replacement is £120 cheaper if you return the damaged control box than if you keep the original). Likewise the coil can not be repaired (although it looks as if it should be simple as its only the cable damaged - a sign of our "throw way world" where items can not be repaired).

As you know I rarely find Roman but even in this damaged state it found a Grotimas Minimus (you know that famous Roman Emperor "Grot" and it was very small :D :D ). But I knew there would be cases where I being stuck on the one setting would seriously hurt so had to get the replacement.

But before I could go to town to send the control box off I had to contact the police :shock: :shock: Yet again a car parked across the exit meaning myself and 3 adjacent properties could not get cars in or out!. They contacted the owner and eventually it was moved. Then had to go to the hardware shop and get an allen key that would fit the screws on the backplate to remove that as otherwise it was another £25.

Evan
Oxgirl

Well you kept that quiet :lol: Very well done Evan. No idea, except I’m pretty sure it’s one of the Eddies, but who cares really - it’s medieval silver :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:25 pm Well you kept that quiet :lol:
Blimey give me a chance, it was posted with 24 hours of getting home after finding it. OK I admit I took a detour to a very nice riverside pub on the way home and had a tasty bit of grub and cooling pint of cider, both of which I thought were needed and well deserved. Which if I had not done would have pushed it over the 24 hours.

Then some of us do go to bed at night, then today I have been busy -- including sorting out the replacement control box. So I think I should be allowed a bit of slack.

But I will appolgise anyway.
Very well done Evan.
Ta, I think its probably the hardest I have ever worked for a decent find with those conditions and how heavily detected the site has been in the past.
No idea, except I’m pretty sure it’s one of the Eddies, but who cares really - it’s medieval silver :Party:
Similar to my view, although always very nice to know exactly which one.
Any medieval silver is worth a :Party:

Evan
BuriedByTime&Dust

The crown shape suggests Edward III to me.
Dave The Slave

Well done on your Hammered, Evan.
Have to agree with your Quote,
" Sadly no idea what as they all look the same to me, which is why I prefer something like a military or livery button!. "
but having said that, a coin is better than no coin.
Cheers, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:09 am The crown shape suggests Edward III to me.
I'd have said the same - Edward III thrid coinage
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Allectus

Edward III, 3rd/'florin' London penny. Can't see what flavour though - needs a clean.

A ;)
Saffron

Allectus wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:52 pm Edward III, 3rd/'florin' London penny. Can't see what flavour though - needs a clean.

A ;)
Very many thanks Allectus, very much appreciated as always :thumbsup: .

Between here and my club site IDs have ranged from "They all look the same to me", "Its an Eddie but no idea which" (these being by far the 2 most frequent replies), through Edward 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th !!.

We have not had a club meeting since the first lockdown, but planned to start again in September but after talking to the venue this has been moved back to October. I joked "well that gives me an extra month to try and get something for the finds table", then this hammy came up so I posted it and said as I has actually found something meeting could go ahead. Club chair came back and joked I could give a talk about it, but I said due to all the conflicting IDs we could have a quiz "What is this coin?" and just take the most frequent answer as the ID.
So as you can see getting an expert ID is much appreciated.

As for the "Can't see what flavour though - needs a clean." You should have seen it before it had a clean!!!! It was in a right state.
As it is not in very good condition, (bent, nicked, and cracked!) I was being careful with the cleaning and to the naked eye it looks much cleaner than this photo shows it to be.
I will have another go and try to post better photos.

Evan