Hammered

pmm212

So all year ive be waiting on s hammered coin, my mate regularly finds them and we are on same permissions at the same time. So at the weekend he had a good target on his nox, i went over it, the etrac suggested junk, we dug it......... junk, smug me. Yesterday we were out and he found a charles 1st penny, waved over the etrac ding ding, 12/15 on the screen, put it on surface ding ding, put 1 inch of soil over it ...... gone, adjusting setting the best i could improve the signal too was such a bad signal, can anyone help in my frustration?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dr otek pin pointer and etrac, not everyone's cuppa, but we're finding stuff
Easylife

Maybe there was a big lump of iron just under it. I would try the experiment again on known clean ground. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

As Easylife has said there could have been iron underneath or close by that your machine was nulling out
I know it shouldnt make a difference but the Etrac does not like air pockets, so loose soil is not its best test area
Best take the same coin next time and dig a hole, then push the coin into the wall of the hole at a few inches depth and try it again

If you are a fiddler as i am with the machines settings, then it may be worth a factory reset and spend a bit of time setting up your machine again,
If you use discrimination then just check you havent gotten a rogue block taking out a few numbers
Dry ground is another problem as it has less conductivity properties than wet ground

If it were me i would next time go armed with an array of finds and spend an hour digging some test holes, pushing your items into the side walls and running your machine over them to make sure it is picking up everything

The Etrac is a very deep seeking machine, slow and low being its mantra
I always ran mine on all metal, sensitivity as high as each individual field would allow, and i would manually set it onto channel 2
There is a write up somewhere on the net about the values of channel 2, but i cant find it at mo
If you use auto selct for the channels then try and use the lower numbers, if my failing memory serves me correctly then the higher channels are equivilent of taking down the sensitivity, although in reality you arent actually doing that....it gets technical from then on
Blackadder43

Oh, i just remembered something else you need to check to
This is something i debated with the old minelab forum of years ago, and i got banned because i advocated using "recovery deep" in the off position for general use
Please check whether you have "recovery deep" on or off

If you have it turned on, then please read this report by one of the minelab engineers as to the affects of using recovery deep on
I always had it switched to off

https://www.minelab.com/community/treas ... p-in-depth
pmm212

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes i had recovery deep off as in manual suggests that. Will check the channels for sure. Off to detectival so didn't want to change much, that said I feel the factory reset coming on. Thank you again for your wisdom. Totally agree on the dry airy soils. I hear new dectirtors out soon will get a companion detector as had great winter season cheers
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dr otek pin pointer and etrac, not everyone's cuppa, but we're finding stuff