Roman or Medieval??

Saffron

I have been on a fairly new permission today.

A good friend of mine has detected it for several years and made some great finds there previously, but we both know with how heavily detected it has been that finds are now few and far between.
Before anybody comments my friend actually suggested I go there as I had know the farmers family for very many years, and we have even detected it together.

He has assured me that I will find Roman and Medieval.

Well today was about 4 1/4 hours detecting, with a reasonable amount of finds. But I am unsure if they are Roman or Medieval?

When it comes to fighting I always think of the Roman's using pilums (the throwing spear), short stabbing swords and the famous shield wall.
While when it comed to Medieval I always think of the long bow, mounted knights, and the heavier "slashing" sword.

So I am rather confused. Which used the .22 rifle?. Well over half of the targets I dug were .22 slugs, backed up with a couple of rimfire cases :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out:

NOT impressed.

Evan
mattjb

I feel your pain! Went to a field I've been waiting to get on at the weekend. Newish permission,supposed to have Roman occupation on this field. Didn't realise they were using buttons 2000 years ago,I had 16 plus a thimble and a couple of pre decimal coins ! Nothing even remotely roman!
Saffron

mattjb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:34 pm I feel your pain! Went to a field I've been waiting to get on at the weekend. Newish permission,supposed to have Roman occupation on this field. Didn't realise they were using buttons 2000 years ago,I had 16 plus a thimble and a couple of pre decimal coins ! Nothing even remotely roman!
16 buttons, a thimble and TWO COINS ..... I would have killed for a day like that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had 4 1/4 hrs detecting, and 45 mins drive each way, and you beat me by 14 buttons, a thimble and TWO COINS.

Evan
Oxgirl

Two things for both of you - there were lots of targets on both of your fields. That means others have missed things or it’s undetected. I kept reminding myself of that today when I was finding yet more lead. Anyone would dig a button, coin, lead or nice copper bullet case. So if they didn’t dig them they either gave up on that area or were discriminating things out. Once you’ve cleared those things the better stuff will surface.

You might be asleep in the corner exhausted by then (or in a white padded van having gone mad :lol: ) but underneath those things are other better stuff :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

It sounds like your friend has heavily detected it, made some good finds but only now feels that it's about done so invited you along. Then when you get a new permission full of goodies you can invite them on it to return the favour and to show just how grateful they are they'll detect it for you even when you are not there yet still show you their Roman or Medieval finds of what you could have won! :D
Sometimes especially on pasture you just have to avoid all of the shallow targets! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:49 pm Two things for both of you - there were lots of targets on both of your fields. That means others have missed things or it’s undetected. I kept reminding myself of that today when I was finding yet more lead. Anyone would dig a button, coin, lead or nice copper bullet case. So if they didn’t dig them they either gave up on that area or were discriminating things out. Once you’ve cleared those things the better stuff will surface.

You might be asleep in the corner exhausted by then (or in a white padded van having gone mad :lol: ) but underneath those things are other better stuff :Party:
As you say with the amount of targets I found it hasn’t been heavily detected or detected at all.I also had the usual bits of lead etc. I was wondering that as the Roman stuff was discovered when a gas pipe was dug whether it’s deep down and maybe out of reach.
There were a few bits of pottery about but from what I’ve read Roman sites are often littered with the stuff.
That’s several fields I’ve been on lately that according to HER info should be good but have produced zero finds in line with the records! Makes you wonder how much guess work goes into it rather than real evidence with some of them!
shaggybfc

Arh the old "in theory it looks great, in practice it's rubbish" paradigm.... there must be a Loki god of detecting somewhere that scatters pellets, molten lead, shotties and green waste over these great looking sites. :D
I have a permission that has produced loads of Victorian'ish era copper coins, modern tat. I've detected this field for 5 years. It's only now that the loud shallow copper, (and occasional silver), targets have been removed that the more interesting, deeper targets are coming up. I've had 5 nice hammered coins from 2 acres in the last 12 months, from land I’ve wandered over hundreds of times.
The field is like an onion, seems to have many layers to go through - the same with most areas of occupation I'd expect.

My advice - stick with it. if you get fed up of pellets - disc them out for a few hours or a day, and accept it’s possible you’ll miss something nice, but probably not - work through them and you will be rewarded :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Rocketfella

If you hang some pictures of the slugs and casings we can decide if they're Roman or Medieval, normally the .22 casings I find I like to think of them as Roman.🙂