Commonwealth penny

Jamesey1981

Went out with the club today, on a field I've not been on before but the club has been detecting on for years.

Finds were a bit sparse, found a George 3rd half penny that actually has a little bit of detail on it, but nothing much else of note.

Came across an area that was full on iron, literally constant chatter from it, so figured I would get in amongst it and see if I could pick anything out, I was using the deus which is my choice for getting into iron infested areas, still not got the hang of the nox in this kind of terrain.

Switched out of Hot and into Sonar, not an everyday program but one I use to pick through rubbish, and out pops this little commonwealth penny.

Another first for me, wanted to find one of these for ages, tell you what though, I had no idea how small they were until I had one in my hand.
Attachments
20210919_151808.jpg
20210919_151749.jpg
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Blackadder43

Great little find there Jamesie :thumbsup:
And great use of your machines programs and settings too
It doesnt seem the norm today to fiddle with settings and choose something that has a particular use for a particular area
Top marks fella :clapping:
Thanks for sharing the experience which may help other Deus users
Jamesey1981

I probably use hot with the sensitivity cranked and the reactivity at 2.5 90% of the time, but sonar is a handy little program to have, very high reactivity and it does lose depth because of it, but it's a killer program in the right circumstances.

It's a three tone program with a tone break as the discrimination channel so it only actually has two tones, and the good target tone is set very high, you literally can't miss it, really good for a properly iron infested area, gets right in amongst it, this was the third target that came out of the hole, pulled out two rusty nails with the pinpointer first so it was right next to them.

mattjb

Nice work Jamesey. :thumbsup: I’ve got a deus lite so can’t alter tone breaks etc. Could the hot program with a higher reactivity achieve something similar or would it need other adjustments? Like you I normally use hot with 2.5 reactivity and sensitivity around 95. I’ve got used to full tones and like the feedback.
Jamesey1981

mattjb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm Nice work Jamesey. :thumbsup: I’ve got a deus lite so can’t alter tone breaks etc. Could the hot program with a higher reactivity achieve something similar or would it need other adjustments? Like you I normally use hot with 2.5 reactivity and sensitivity around 95. I’ve got used to full tones and like the feedback.
It's based off deus fast like Hot, and yes you could step the reactivity up, but part of what makes this one a killer is the altered tones which you wouldn't be able to change, to be honest though, if you don't have the XY screen then this program wouldn't be all that useful, you're much better off sticking with hot and full tones, if all you have is audio then you want as much audio information as possible otherwise you'd be digging a load of iron.

Reactivity is certainly something to look at on sites like this one though, the deus is great in amongst iron and by increasing the reactivity when you have a heavily contaminated area you are increasing your chances, you will lose depth, but you'll probably lose more to iron masking if it's as bad as it was today so it's worth having a play with that next time you encounter a particularly noisy bit of ground.

mattjb

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 pm It's based off deus fast like Hot, and yes you could step the reactivity up, but part of what makes this one a killer is the altered tones which you wouldn't be able to change, to be honest though, if you don't have the XY screen then this program wouldn't be all that useful, you're much better off sticking with hot and full tones, if all you have is audio then you want as much audio information as possible otherwise you'd be digging a load of iron.

Reactivity is certainly something to look at on sites like this one though, the deus is great in amongst iron and by increasing the reactivity when you have a heavily contaminated area you are increasing your chances, you will lose depth, but you'll probably lose more to iron masking if it's as bad as it was today so it's worth having a play with that next time you encounter a particularly noisy bit of ground.
Cheers, there’s a pasture field I’ve been on with the explorer that’s full of iron and when the grass dies back over the winter it will be interesting to see what the deus can pick up that has been missed.
Jamesey1981

Places you have gone over with the explorer is exactly where you would want to try out a higher reactivity, you'll have got the deep ones with no iron nearby with the explorer, get right into the bits where the explorer was giving you an ear bashing with high reactivity and I bet you'll pick out some bits that the explorer missed.

mattjb

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:51 pm Places you have gone over with the explorer is exactly where you would want to try out a higher reactivity, you'll have got the deep ones with no iron nearby with the explorer, get right into the bits where the explorer was giving you an ear bashing with high reactivity and I bet you'll pick out some bits that the explorer missed.
This particular field had the ears ringing with every sweep all over with the explorer so it will definitely be worth a go :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Nice one :thumbsup: I’ve never found a commonwealth coin and that one has good detail so I’d be chuffed to bits with it.

I really should try out the sonar programme on a couple of very iron infested areas where I can winkle out rose farthings but only by going like a snail and getting an ear bashing. If my other fields aren’t harvested this week I’ll try it and report back.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Jamesey1981

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm Nice one :thumbsup: I’ve never found a commonwealth coin and that one has good detail so I’d be chuffed to bits with it.

I really should try out the sonar programme on a couple of very iron infested areas where I can winkle out rose farthings but only by going like a snail and getting an ear bashing. If my other fields aren’t harvested this week I’ll try it and report back.
I'm very happy with it, really confused me when I dug it up and it didn't have a portrait, then it clicked what it was! It's already bagged up and labelled for my trip to the FLO next weekend.

It's definitely a useful program to have loaded up, for normal detecting it makes things that are clear as a bell in hot sound scratchy and rubbish, but in amongst iron it works like a dream.

Little tip, I find it works best with a medium fast swing and a slow walk, then you get the good target tone in both directions, makes it easier to pick a target out of the sparky background noise.

Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Little tip, I find it works best with a medium fast swing and a slow walk, then you get the good target tone in both directions, makes it easier to pick a target out of the sparky background noise.
Great tip, thank you :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TheFenTiger

Great wish list coin I also found this year. Well done
Dave
Easylife

That's a nice find Jamesey. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

TheFenTiger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:35 pm Great wish list coin I also found this year. Well done
It was thanks to yours and Paint's posts that I figured out what it was, I knew about them but it was a lot fresher in my mind, so thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Metalurgy

Good find there,found one last year and I remember it giving a belting 16 on the nox👍