Thank you!!! ( and what's this??!!)

HolzHammer

Firstly, just to say thank you to the Forum who have been extremely helpful recently on aiding with some great IDs on some stuff Ive been finding. Its a great hobby this and like a lot of things , once you have been shown what something is you don't tend to forget.

For Example, I found my first Bishop Boy token a couple of months ago... at the time I thought, "that's a very intricate lead token looks exactly like a hammered made of lead..." A bit of research, which wasn't hard, showed me what it was. I found another yesterday and knew exactly what I'd found!!!
Even better, I get to keep this one as the first I gave to the landowner as it was a find of local importance - never thought I'd come across another so fast!!!

Anyway, any ideas as to what this might be? Bronze, copper alloy, same design roughly on both sides....
Its quite sharp on the pointy bits!
Any help much appreciated as always
All the B
Alexander
Attachments
AVW_5189.jpeg
AVW_5190.jpeg
AVW_5191.jpeg
stanslad

That’s a Havette or Harbick,
A double ended hook, a few of them would be used for securing/stretching skins/cloth to a board or horse etc during the process of scraping or shearing the nap,
Late Medieval/early post Medieval,
Well done on a lovely different find Alex.
Clint :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

stanslad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm That’s a Havette or Harbick,
A double ended hook, a few of them would be used for securing/stretching skins/cloth to a board or horse etc during the process of scraping or shearing the nap,
Late Medieval/early post Medieval,
Well done on a lovely different find Alex.
Clint :thumbsup:
Clint, good knowledge, thank you! I've never heard of them let alone found one up until now! Well well....
mattjb

Very interesting, I’d never heard of one either! That’s the great thing about detecting, the sheer unpredictability of what you might find!
Blackadder43

I love the knowledge that people have here, and the willingness to share it :clapping:

Great find Alexander, and i imagine one off the list too :thumbsup:

Gonna have to research that now for future reference :ugeek:
Metalurgy

That’s an interesting find and great ID.👍
stanslad

There's not much knowledge between these old ears I'm afraid,
I just went through some notes I made a few years ago, after getting one back I found from the FLO, as never seen or heard of them before, the design/hatching in the middle is there so you can grip it if your hands are wet or greasy.
Clint
Oxgirl

Lovely find! I actually knew that one cause I saw one in the ‘Finds Identified’ book and was intrigued about what it was. Yours has a beautiful patina!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Great find, that. Cracking condition, too :thumbsup:

Aren't these also called "tenterhooks"?
Reiver

Great find and great ID :thumbsup:
Well found and well saved.
shaggybfc

Lovely find and great ID
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

Great find, Alex. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Never seen or heard of one of these either.
We learn from the finds of others that are posted on here.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:27 am

Aren't these also called "tenterhooks"?
Similar but not the same. A tenterhook is a type of angled nail hammered in long rows into a wooden frame to attach one length of a piece of cloth and were permanent. A havette was used to stretch the cloth on a padded bench and were temporary, being removed and replaced as required. They could be used with tenterhooks but were originally used on their own. Guessing that’s because havettes were used to stretch the cloth to trim the nape and so you’d want it to be flat whilst tenterhooks were used to hold the cloth vertical?

More info here
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:50 am Similar but not the same. A tenterhook is a type of angled nail hammered in long rows into a wooden frame to attach one length of a piece of cloth and were permanent. A havette was used to stretch the cloth on a padded bench and were temporary, being removed and replaced as required. They could be used with tenterhooks but were originally used on their own. Guessing that’s because havettes were used to stretch the cloth to trim the nape and so you’d want it to be flat whilst tenterhooks were used to hold the cloth vertical?

More info here
Thanks Cath that’s very helpful – but I’m still not completely up to speed with how they worked – I’d really like to do a physical demonstration for my next video so if anyone can help with that it would be much appreciated!
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:19 pm I’d really like to do a physical demonstration for my next video so if anyone can help with that it would be much appreciated!
That volunteer will need to have a high pain tolerance then, those things look sharp! :shock:
Or was that not what you meant? :Thinking: :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.