The Humble Shottie is an interesting Shottie

Dave The Slave

This post was originally going to be called ...Kg of Brass but cleaning up a find that contained brass albeit the lightest of the finds, info came to light, that gives this item some prominence.
Headed off to my Detecting friends permission, one field of which had been used for target practice during the war. Usually a few chunks of No119 Fuze get unearthed, which is what happened. What we did find was a couple of chunks were colour banded yellow/Black
During the session i knew i had found a Brass cased cartridge, which looked to be a 20 Bore, although the Headstamp was encrusted did figure it to be a 20 as i owned one years ago. First example of a Brass shottie case, i have found, although i knew they existed.
Cleaning up the smaller finds at home, the cartridge headstamp had more than the usual amount of writing, which meant some research was needed..
Kynoch`s Patent,
possibly W2 then 20 which confirmed the Bore.
No 2090
Grouse Ejector.
Trawling through the web, came across this from the Royal Armouries,
https://search.aol.co.uk/click/_ylt=Awr ... 2Q4Y1cj5c-
reading the description, the leather liner mention caught my eye and sure enough there is one in my example which i have tried to photo for you.
The actual Brass case is indeed thin
and reminded me of an intact Martini Henry round my Son found 4 years ago.
Have always liked finding pinfires, probably have 4 of those but this appears to be a little bit rarer.
As Evan said in his post, always clean the headstamps as the shotties were from more local gun dealers etc, which adds to the local knowledge.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

I know yours is yellow/black, but the Americans have tonnes of colour coding and this is close minus the black for your markings
Not sure if relevant :ugeek:
Bronze/Gold/Brass

FS 17043

#a69d52

Identifies completely inert ammunition designed for use in activities such as assembly, testing, handling, drills, etc., and not designed to be delivered in a delivery system.
Dave The Slave

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 pm I know yours is yellow/black, but the Americans have tonnes of colour coding and this is close minus the black for your markings
Not sure if relevant :ugeek:
That`s a start Bruce, did come across this site yesterday but did not really make sense, do know Tanks practised in the area, although not sure which field. There are 2 that yield these lumps of Fuze.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Another good paper, and if to be believed the yellow could indicate :
2. Band. Yellow band means this item contains a high-explosive burster.
Could it be the yellow band was continuous?

https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Mark ... rkings.pdf
Dave The Slave

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm Another good paper, and if to be believed the yellow could indicate : Could it be the yellow band was continuous?

https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Mark ... rkings.pdf
Looked at this one too, Bruce although i did not take the exam :lol:
Think Black and Yellow, definitely high explosive though.
Appreciate your time though. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.