Help with two artefacts please !

Beckybue

Hello all
I wonder if any of you wise people could help me ID the attached items. The first I put on the Sassy Searcher site where someone suggested it could be a pewter alloy Victorian medallion. Do you concur? I showed it to my FLO who had no idea what it was. It’s very beautiful though and the artwork on both the obverse and converse is amazing (photos don’t do it justice at all).
The second is a George III halfpenny which has a proud time round the edge of it which makes a recess of the coin on both sides . There are no joining seams visible at all.
It’s thick, heavy and slightly warped. I’d love to know what this is too!
Sorry, the photos have uploaded in opposite order 🙄. Don’t know how to fix that.
Many thanks for any insightful advice on either objects!
Attachments
D91F7C67-38E1-47AB-AEA7-18EF14C2D4FE.jpeg
9F7BA1B3-54B4-43D3-921B-63C32376166F.jpeg
5C256E80-CE9F-475C-B68C-6BC0DF3B1CE8.jpeg
5D7F03C6-144C-44EF-B555-D5D173B2C804.jpeg
Easylife

That looks like a commemorative medallion of some sort. Other looks like it may have been hammered to flare the edge out? Either way both interesting finds. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Ooooh interesting
With your George coin, there was and still is a practice of turning coins into rings, it starts by bashing around the edges before drilling through with the hole......a possibility?

As for the "medallion"
If those are doves, coupled with a family scene then maybe somesort of love thing?
Or am i just an incurable romantic :lol: :ugeek:
Beckybue

Easylife wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:35 pm That looks like a commemorative medallion of some sort. Other looks like it may have been hammered to flare the edge out? Either way both interesting finds. :thumbsup:
Thank you for your input, Easylife, there are some very faint letters on one corner of the medallion which are illegible sadly. Interesting theory on the coin! It’s so hefty though, it feels like it’s been added to, rather than the existing coin being altered. It’s intriguing (and slightly frustrating 😂)
Beckybue

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:36 pm Ooooh interesting
With your George coin, there was and still is a practice of turning coins into rings, it starts by bashing around the edges before drilling through with the hole......a possibility?

As for the "medallion"
If those are doves, coupled with a family scene then maybe somesort of love thing?
Or am i just an incurable romantic :lol: :ugeek:
Thank you for your input, Blackadder (great user name btw). It would be a ring fit for Goliath if your theory is correct 😂
Love your suggestion for the medallion, I’ll take that and run with it in the absence of alternative theories!
Blackadder43

Although a George coin wouldnt be my first choice, you have to factor in the wealth of people back in the day
But here is how they make a coin into a ring

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Ma ... om-a-Coin/
Easylife

The medal appears to be 19th C. A man sat down writing. I can only really make out the word 'wise' on the otherside but any more should lead to a positive ID.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Agree with easylife in that the style of the table indicates 19th century
Man using a quill and appears to be writing
Looks like a bowl amongst other things on the table
The lady appears to be seated too, but the child to me looks upset as she is facing her mum, almost burying her face into her dress.

The birds on the other side are either doves or pigeons
Doesnt look like a conventional olive branch under them, more a tangle of branches, and there are more than 1 bird there, i see 3 birds

It does look like pewter, and reasonable quality too by the way it has survived

What it represents though is a tough one, whatever it is it does look very specific though with its depictions
Beckybue

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm Although a George coin wouldnt be my first choice, you have to factor in the wealth of people back in the day
But here is how they make a coin into a ring

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Ma ... om-a-Coin/
Thank you for the link and, yes, I can see now how a ring could be ‘turned in’ from a coin to fit a finger. So interesting- thank you !
Beckybue

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 pm Agree with easylife in that the style of the table indicates 19th century
Man using a quill and appears to be writing
Looks like a bowl amongst other things on the table
The lady appears to be seated too, but the child to me looks upset as she is facing her mum, almost burying her face into her dress.

The birds on the other side are either doves or pigeons
Doesnt look like a conventional olive branch under them, more a tangle of branches, and there are more than 1 bird there, i see 3 birds

It does look like pewter, and reasonable quality too by the way it has survived

What it represents though is a tough one, whatever it is it does look very specific though with its depictions
Continued thanks for the information. I thought the man was reading from the Bible but, you’re right, there’s a quill there too. Haha, the man of the house is doing the accounts, the wife has said: ‘how are we going to survive on that pittance?’ , and their child thinks ‘oh God, we’re all
doomed’ and plunges her head in her mother’s lap ! It’s intriguing… There are four birds on the other side , two parents,
two fledglings. Definitely not an olive branch underneath. Thank you so much again for your input!
Beckybue

Easylife wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm The medal appears to be 19th C. A man sat down writing. I can only really make out the word 'wise' on the otherside but any more should lead to a positive ID.
Thank you so much for the information. My decrepit eyesight means I can’t make out the ‘wise’ description, but thanks for IDing some of the legend - it’s a good start!