A mixed bag of goodies

Kenleyboy

A glorious day today with the sun shining and the fields beckoning and this mini heatwave has been most welcome so before it all changes I took advantage of a free afternoon for a few hours to chance my luck . A few weeks makes a lot of difference , no more do the Swallows and Martins skim the fields , they are long gone and it is hard to believe that only a few weeks ago I counted a line of well over 40 odd swallows draped over the telephone lines no doubt getting ready for their long haul to warmer climes , the seasons seem to roll by swiftly .
On arrival I was greeted with yet more fields that had succumbed to the plough and the irritating sprigs of stubble were long gone and even though its hard walking I would rather spend a few hours walking over fresh soil and half the field had been turned over this past week so I picked my area and off I went this time walking the width as I found that a lot easier .
A good hour had passed and all I had to show for my efforts were a bag full of scrap but the afternoon was still young and with the glorious weather and scenery made up for my lack of finds , it was good to be out on a day like this .
First interesting find was an eyes only which has got to be the smallest Echinoid I have ever seen let alone find , it just caught my eye laying in amongst the mini mountain range of soil and the sun had dried it out and at first glance I thought it was a ball of chalk so I was happy with that for starters .
20210924_171222_resized[7447]tiny echinoid.jpg
A few buttons and then some odd bits and pieces before a decent signal gave way to a very worn William 111 silver shilling . It was met with mixed emotions , firstly I was pleased to have found one as I have never had one before but slightly disappointed that most of the surface had been completely polished away leaving the reverse totally smooth . The saving grace was the bust was just about visible for me to be able to decipher that there was indeed a monarch of sorts and it was only until I got home I could check my coin book .
20210924_200721_resized[7460]william 111.jpg
I was still happy with it , just a shame it was worn smooth , perhaps a heartfelt effort from someone intending to turn it into a love token , it was almost there bar the bending .
As I wandered the fields full of hope , above me the skies were busy with a pair of buzzards dive bombing each other only to turn their attentions towards a Red Kite which obviously upset the air space of the two playful raptors and so the battle commenced . It didnt last too long and soon the Kite got tired of their boisterous behaviour and off it went in search of a bit of peace and quiet , if the fields are not playing ball there is still plenty of other things to enjoy .
A cup of tea required and I sat watching the busy farm machinery working the fields of the opposite Farm as they trundled through great swathes of dust and the neat rows of squared off hay bales and I wonder what those Saxon farmers would make of all this busy work going on at such great speed !
Time to move on but no Saxon finds for me but almost as good when my next signal proved to be a well earned tidy looking Roman Dolphin brooch , I couldnt believe my luck looking at it nestled in amongst the soft sandy soil , that made my afternoon even better .
20210924_160016_resized[7445]dolphin brooch.jpg
Soon enough the bright Norfolk landscape would succumb to the failing light and it was time to make my way back to the car in the hope of one or more finds before dusk settled in but apart from a few buttons not much else .
20210924_195152_resized[7448]finds .jpg
One big lump was the item with three ridges which gave a decent signal and looks possibly like a decorative pot leg , this was my very last find before heading for home . Great day and great hobby :thumbsup:
mattjb

Nice selection of finds there and great write up :thumbsup:
Easylife

Well it seems to have worked out just fine in the end with a bit of all sorts. That's a nice fibula, looks like a bit of purse frame in there too. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Nice brooch there fella, very nice :thumbsup:

Your pot leg is possibly one of the feet of the pot?...judging by how i am seeing it
I have a couple of those myself
Was gonna say that looks like a purse bar too as easylife has spotted :thumbsup:

Great day by the looks and great write up too, love the buzzards and red kite part
The sky seems to be off limits to me when i'm tecting, eyes to the ground even when drinking me tea :lol:
Will have to pay more attention though as one of my farms in the mendips is ripe for those sorts of birds, although i will probably have no clue what i'm looking at :ugeek:
Oxgirl

That’s a brilliant bag of finds :Party: . See you have a nice tapered rivet (top right second row) too (1500-1700).

Jealous - I’m finding nothing right now :thumbdown:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Looks to me like a perfect detecting day - a good assortment in the finds bag and the opportunity to enjoy a bit of warmth before it all goes west. Lovely to watch the buzzards messing about, ain't it? Only spotted a red kite twice this year though, but I'm sure they'll become more numerous.
shaggybfc

Great day with a great brooch. :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 am Looks to me like a perfect detecting day - a good assortment in the finds bag and the opportunity to enjoy a bit of warmth before it all goes west. Lovely to watch the buzzards messing about, ain't it? Only spotted a red kite twice this year though, but I'm sure they'll become more numerous.
The Kites appear to be more abundant the closer you get to Norwich , see quite a few on the A47 . :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:06 pm That’s a brilliant bag of finds :Party: . See you have a nice tapered rivet (top right second row) too (1500-1700).

Jealous - I’m finding nothing right now :thumbdown:
The tapered rivet has what looks like the letter "J" on the head .
20210925_094632_resized[7478]top of rivet.jpg
20210925_093702_resized[7471]rivet.jpg
Plus this interesting piece , any ideas :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210925_094010_resized[7472]attachment.jpg
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 pm Nice brooch there fella, very nice :thumbsup:

Your pot leg is possibly one of the feet of the pot?...judging by how i am seeing it
I have a couple of those myself
Was gonna say that looks like a purse bar too as easylife has spotted :thumbsup:

Great day by the looks and great write up too, love the buzzards and red kite part
The sky seems to be off limits to me when i'm tecting, eyes to the ground even when drinking me tea :lol:
Will have to pay more attention though as one of my farms in the mendips is ripe for those sorts of birds, although i will probably have no clue what i'm looking at :ugeek:
This year is the first time in my lifetime I’ve seen red kites locally, once near Keynsham and again near Bath so they are spreading into the area near the Mendips if they are not there already. Kites are pretty easy to identify with the tail having a v shaped notch .I see plenty when in West Wales and they are always a pleasure to see.
Dave The Slave

Decent amount of finds, Paul.
Brooch is nice.
Walking the width of the field, seemed the easiest way of dealing with Maize stubble a couple of seasons ago, which was a nightmare to detect.
Never seen a Red Kite, Hares have been seen more this season appear to be quite a few on my friends permission..
Nothing worse than worn coins, as it is Silver may just be worth running under a tap as that can highlight what you would normally not see.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:03 am Plus this interesting piece, any ideas :thumbsup:
If it's about 3cm long then I'll go for a strap fitting. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.