Roman finds

BuriedByTime&Dust

I grabbed the chance of an early finish today and headed off to a local field for a few hours.

The field has produced a lot of roman coins, but very few other items from that era, so I was pretty chuffed to find what I think is a stylus and a small steelyard weight (the field has produced a few larger ones).

There's a brooch fragment there too, along with a couple of of bronze coins. One is holed, which is intriguing. It's only the second holed roman coin that I've found and the other was from a field that also produced saxon finds, so fingers crossed!

The one middle-top I thought was a thimble at first, but it was clearly far too heavy. It's solid lead. Possible gaming piece perhaps? :?
Attachments
finds240921.jpg
Oxgirl

Nice mix of finds there. I’d be excited going back to that field, particularly with the promise of Saxon too :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:56 pm Nice mix of finds there. I’d be excited going back to that field, particularly with the promise of Saxon too :Party:
It's only a hunch, but the holed coin makes me think there could possibly be saxon finds in that field. Last time I found a pierced roman coin (a couple of years ago) I found this florid cruciform knob nearby. More searching required, I think :thumbsup:
Attachments
brooch160219.jpg
Easylife

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:23 pm It's only a hunch, but the holed coin makes me think there could possibly be saxon finds in that field. Last time I found a pierced roman coin (a couple of years ago) I found this florid cruciform knob nearby.
Me too, my cruciform brooch was about 100m away from a pierced sestertius. :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Even a hint of Saxon and I’d be camping on the field - and yours is more than a hint. Looking forward to your next field reports :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TheFenTiger

I have found 2 pierced coins on my Roman site, one is silver and now used on the PAS site for when pierced coins should be treasure and a bronze from the next field. No saxon coins so far but I have had part of a horse head brooch
Dave
figgis

Very promising finds, and there's great potential for Saxon on that field :thumbsup: