Sorry, me again…

Beckybue

Hello again. Sorry to plague you all so soon after my last post!
I found this object yesterday and was wondering if you had any suggestions as to function or age. The Sassy FB group have suggested it could be a spur attachment and it certainly matches the shape of some of the images that were kindly put up on the thread.
However, on closer inspection, the incomplete hole on the end of the object looks to be intentionally fashioned into two points (as opposed to a complete ring with a section missing). As it looks intentionally open ended, I don’t get how it could have been made to house a rowel ?
It feels very old, is more domed on one side, and flatter on the other. There is traces of red enamel (I think) on it. Do you agree that it is a medieval spur attachment of some sort? Many thanks for any replies or information!
Attachments
AFBF6EC3-F265-429C-9B5D-31BF9F152D0C.jpeg
053D7088-7A5C-4479-A525-4072E72E6943.jpeg
figgis

Please don't apologise for ID requests, Becky - lob as many up as you like. We love em :D :thumbsup:

For me, that's probably a spur part. I get what you're saying about the crescent-shaped bit but degradation/damage/both can do this to something which was circular. Like this example:
Attachments
spur.jpg
Beckybue

Thank you so much Figgis for your reply. Your ID makes sense and I see what you mean about the wear and tear, but the points seem to be very uniform and intentionally fashioned. I’ve sent some photos to my FLO who is insanely busy at the moment but, should she let me know her thoughts, I will update accordingly! Thanks again
Dave The Slave

As John (Figgis ) said Becky, no need to apologise for photos. The more photos posted on items, the more we can ALL learn and perhaps just retain that info to pass on to others.
Having found my first spur part, a rowel box recently, did spend some time looking through various references, trawling through the PAS database and as John has already said, Spur part looks the likely candidate on your item.
Good luck on future Detecting trips, :thumbsup
Dave.
Beckybue

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:01 pm As John (Figgis ) said Becky, no need to apologise for photos. The more photos posted on items, the more we can ALL learn and perhaps just retain that info to pass on to others.
Having found my first spur part, a rowel box recently, did spend some time looking through various references, trawling through the PAS database and as John has already said, Spur part looks the likely candidate on your item.
Good luck on future Detecting trips,
:thumbsup
Dave.
Thanks so much for your reply Dave, I’m so grateful.
My learning curve is very steep as I’m fairly new to metal detecting! Endlessly fascinating and addictive it is too.
Thanks again.
Easylife

Yep, a spur arm of which a buckle loop has worn through. :D
Harness fittings often wear through similar in one spot.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.