Bronze Spear Head Partifacts??

Emily

Pete E wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 pm Emily,

Super find, and to be honest complete or not, I would be a little upset to loose those items...But by reporting them and following the correct processes, you will be making a positive contribution to the archaeology of your area and furthering the knowledge of the BA history on your permission.

One other thing, if you haven't done so already, is to contact the land owner, and update them about the finds and the fact they may need to go through the treasure process. You might also warn him that they are unlikely to be worth much financially, and the process may take a couple of years (or what ever your FLO advises) to complete: this will make sure their expectations are realistic.......If they baulk at you reporting the items, just remind them it's your legal responsibility to do it as a responsible detectorist...

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,

Having rescued it from the earth, I would prefer not to be parted with my finds, but we’ll see what happens. ☺️ The FLO might not be interested. 🤷‍♀️

In the contract the landowner signed, it says specifically that anything worth under £250 belongs to me unless otherwise agreed or freely given, so technically he can’t be upset either way, as I doubt very much that it’s worth that much.

Any idea on the pottery?? Maybe I should upload another picture.
Live long and prospect
Dave The Slave

Sound advice from Pete E, Emily.
May be wrong but would think under £100.
Provisional valuation for my BA Awl £20, BA Blade fragment £5 and slag zero, roughly what i expected, this valuation will be discussed by the Treasure Valuation Committee on Wednesday, where it will either be ratified or altered slightly.
Artefacts are worth a lot Historically to us but as there are relatively few collectors, the market price stays down, seems crazy but driven by market forces.
Enjoy while still in your posession , may take you weeks to get an appointment but by notifying the FLO with photos etc you have done what you can about possible Treasure in the 14 day period
A days Detecting you will always remember.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Dave The Slave

Sound advice from Pete E, Emily.
May be wrong but would think under £100.
Provisional valuation for my BA Awl £20, BA Blade fragment £5 and slag zero, roughly what i expected, this valuation will be discussed by the Treasure Valuation Committee on Wednesday, where it will either be ratified or altered slightly.
Artefacts are worth a lot Historically to us but as there are relatively few collectors, the market price stays down, seems crazy but driven by market forces.
Enjoy while still in your posession , may take you weeks to get an appointment but by notifying the FLO with photos etc you have done what you can about possible Treasure in the 14 day period
A days Detecting you will always remember.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Emily

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:33 pm I’d be surprised if they weren’t both part of the same item (the 2 original post pieces) so would classify as treasure. Send photos and get advice? If you go to https://finds.org.uk/contacts you’ll get your local one - actually you are Oxfordshire aren’t you! Duh I’m not awake this evening. It’s Edward Caswell - he’s lovely and very helpful :thumbsup: Best to email him :thumbsup:
I emailed him yesterday, so I’ll just wait and see when he gets back to me. ☺️ I’m not sure how long these things take.
Live long and prospect
Pete E

Emily wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:44 pm
Hi Peter,

Having rescued it from the earth, I would prefer not to be parted with my finds, but we’ll see what happens. ☺️ The FLO might not be interested. 🤷‍♀️

In the contract the landowner signed, it says specifically that anything worth under £250 belongs to me unless otherwise agreed or freely given, so technically he can’t be upset either way, as I doubt very much that it’s worth that much.

Any idea on the pottery?? Maybe I should upload another picture.
Hi Emily,

I would feel exactly the same....I think for me, loosing a BA item to the Treasure process would be best described as "bitter sweet"...

The other thing to consider is that even if these items are not considered treasure now, any other BA items found in the same location
in the future could change their status again!

I found part of a BA Socketed Axe head, and then a few pieces of bronze partifacts/ fragments in the same field at a later date, so I am now awaiting to see what my FLO says....I genuinely believe the bronze partifacts are of a later date, and that seemed to be the consensus when I posted them here, but it's really down for the FLO to decide what happens next...

I can't help with the pottery, but you could always mention them to your FLO while your dealing with the spearhead...

Regards,

Peter
Emily

Pete E wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:11 pm Hi Emily,

I would feel exactly the same....I think for me, loosing a BA item to the Treasure process would be best described as "bitter sweet"...

The other thing to consider is that even if these items are not considered treasure now, any other BA items found in the same location
in the future could change their status again!

I found part of a BA Socketed Axe head, and then a few pieces of bronze partifacts/ fragments in the same field at a later date, so I am now awaiting to see what my FLO says....I genuinely believe the bronze partifacts are of a later date, and that seemed to be the consensus when I posted them here, but it's really down for the FLO to decide what happens next...

I can't help with the pottery, but you could always mention them to your FLO while your dealing with the spearhead...

Regards,

Peter
The FLO has classed them as a hoard....I’m not sure what that means or if I’ll have to hand them over....
Live long and prospect
Pete E

That sounds like they are going through the Treasure Process…. You may still get them back but it will depend on the assessment of their importance ect….
Easylife

You best get some pics to keep just in case. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Emily wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 pm The FLO has classed them as a hoard....I’m not sure what that means or if I’ll have to hand them over....
Yep, you'll be handing them over and going through the treasure process :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

shaggybfc wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:53 pm Yep, you'll be handing them over and going through the treasure process :thumbsup:
You know, I think a "Foreign" stamp in *tiny* lettering would sell really well to detectorists!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Emily

Pete E wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 pm You know, I think a "Foreign" stamp in *tiny* lettering would sell really well to detectorists!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You’ve sussed out my whole scheme. 🤦‍♀️😂
Live long and prospect
Steve_JT

Well found and saved :thumbsup: :thumbsup: treasure process is a long drawn out affair, but you may gat them back if they don't claim them

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Worth nothing but will be stuck in the process for 2 years sadly. It is what it is but you have no choice sadly.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 pm Worth nothing but will be stuck in the process for 2 years sadly. It is what it is but you have no choice sadly.
This is the sort of situation that makes me believe the Treasure Act needs overhauling...Under the current law, I wonder what it costs for these two items to go through the whole process? Do we really need a Coroner to decide the fate of the more bread and butter treasure finds?

Finds like this should be able to be processed by the FLO...if they believe they have something historically "a bit special" or something that could be over a certain financial value, they could then refer it to the Coroner, in effect they would act like a magistrate does in relation to the Crown Court..
Emily

Pete E wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am This is the sort of situation that makes me believe the Treasure Act needs overhauling...Under the current law, I wonder what it costs for these two items to go through the whole process? Do we really need a Coroner to decide the fate of the more bread and butter treasure finds?

Finds like this should be able to be processed by the FLO...if they believe they have something historically "a bit special" or something that could be over a certain financial value, they could then refer it to the Coroner, in effect they would act like a magistrate does in relation to the Crown Court..
I agree. My finds aren’t particularly special, so the FLO should have the know how to decide whether they might me significant in other ways - the area they were found in for example. If they’re found to not be too important, the FLO should have the power to decide this and return them to the finder instead of this long winded process and a museum potentially getting more un-needed finds to gather dust in their stores instead of them being cared for by the finder or the landowner.
Live long and prospect