Not a fan of Roman coins but !

Kenleyboy

Today was meant to be a bottle digging day for the first time in at least four months but due to the crazy petrol shortage we decided to cancel and leave that for another day . A shame really as I was really up for it , new pair of boots , couple of tasty shovels and a new army kit bag to carry them in , a case of " I want to use it " moment .
With the madness still raging , the petrol stations bone dry and the warm afternoon growing closer I decided it was worth another go on the fields to stave off that hunting hunger .
It was a good choice , the weather was warm with a slight breeze so off I set back down the quiet winding grey lanes , no farm traffic today just utter silence as if the whole county had fallen asleep , no petrol equals no traffic !
My choice again was the same strip of land again but this time the lower slopes and to make a change my first signal was pretty decent and first find of the afternoon was a bald coin which looked like a half penny of sorts but that was better than the usual bits of scrap I have to wade through . To be fair the finds have not been too bad , yesterday was good , the percentage of better finds as opposed to scrap was about 50/50 and the Roman brooch was most welcomed . Today I would have yet another equally surprise find that came in at last knockings .
A few more bald coins and one which was a little more interesting with the wording "Griffin" stamped into the blank face .
20210926_193032_resized[7495]Griffin.jpg
Not sure why this would be but a guess perhaps some sort of token made from an old coin which looked to be another half penny .
My next find which was better was a small hammered copper coin which I thought was a rose farthing until I wiped away the dry dusty dirt . It looks more like a small jetton about 14 mm diameter with the word Cannon and a date 1662 . A few scraps later and a tiny squeak of a signal which once dug appeared much stronger . Very happy to reveal itself as a cut half so I was well and truly fulfilled with my finds and could have just packed up and gone home . It was such a nice quiet afternoon and as it was warm I wanted to make the most of it so a cuppa and a sit down to enjoy the peace and quiet and enjoy the landscape and mull things over .
20210926_152946_resized[7491]cut half 1.jpg
20210926_153023_resized[7494]cut half 2.jpg
Things went a little quiet except for another blank coin and a slightly better farthing and then a really good strong signal stopped me in my track as the light was beginning to fade . Out came another coin and again I assumed for a moment it was another blank penny but was surprised to be greeted by the tell tale sign of a Roman emperors bust ! It is a big coin , about the size of a penny 27 mm across .
20210926_181117_resized[7497]Roman bust.jpg
20210926_181135_resized[7498]Roman reverse.jpg
I have to admit I have never been a huge fan of Roman coins but finding this one may just sway me . It is in remarkable condition but crusted up with dirt . Once again , lucky boy .
Blackadder43

Loving that Roman fella, great find and should clean up nicely :thumbsup:

Sometimes those names on coins are like makers marks, like a practice stamp to make sure it all looks good?
Cant think why anyone would stamp griffin on for any other reason?

Another good day and you have the dafties to thank for drinking all the fuel and forcing you onto your fields
Easylife

Well done. A nice Maximianus there. You should be able to get a good ID on that 1662 trade token. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm Loving that Roman fella, great find and should clean up nicely :thumbsup:

Sometimes those names on coins are like makers marks, like a practice stamp to make sure it all looks good?

Another good day and you have the dafties to thank for drinking all the fuel and forcing you onto your fields
I never thought of it like that , makers marks do make sense . I would like to clean that coin up a bit to reveal more detail but I dont want to muck it up .
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm Sometimes those names on coins are like makers marks, like a practice stamp to make sure it all looks good?
In the 19th Century, especially from about the 1820's to the 1880's it was a common practice to counterstamp coins for any number of reasons. Sometimes businessmen did so to advertise their business, othertimes political slogans were stamped on coins. Many personal "pocket pieces" are also known where people stamped their names on coins and carried them in a pocket or on a chain around their neck.
stanslad

Great finds there,well found,
A farthing of Thomas Cannon 1667 in Swaffham. with the Cannon family arms.
Clint :thumbsup:
Attachments
2566B4E0-357C-409A-9BF9-FC25F9F81EE7.jpeg
Kenleyboy

stanslad wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 pm Great finds there,well found,
A farthing of Thomas Cannon 1667 in Swaffham. with the Cannon family arms.
Clint :thumbsup:
Great ID , thanks for that . Not a million miles from Swaffham :thumbsup:
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:28 pm Great ID , thanks for that . Not a million miles from Swaffham :thumbsup:
They're usually quite local unless they came down the river on a boat! :thumbsup: