I think there’s something wrong with my detector.

Emily

I have a Deus ORX.

On the weekend I went out and found the BA Spear head fragments, but I think there’s an issue with my detector.

It kept finding good signals, but once I dug the hole, it would vanish. This happened at least 10 times, and I am then reliant on my Pinpointer to find the item and pray that there’s nothing left in the hole.

On one occasion, my pinpointer found some metal scrap that was 100% metal, but when I waved it over my coil, it didn’t show in any way. No tones, nothing.

What’s the matter?? I feel like I cant trust it and then I’m missing potentially important things.

Help.
Live long and prospect
Jamesey1981

Is it a deus or an ORX?

If its a deus, what reading do you get on the xy screen when you pick up the target?
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Pete E

I am sure you will get a comprehensive answer from the Deus owners on here, but my first thought is that either you have some discrimination dialled in on the settings and/or maybe the sensitivity is a bit low?

If I get any nagging doubts about settings, I used to factory reset my machine and set it up again from scratch but wait to see what other suggestions you get first….
Emily

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:59 pm Is it a deus or an ORX?

If its a deus, what reading do you get on the xy screen when you pick up the target?
Sorry, it’s an ORX. I have just numbers. I’d like a full deus, but can’t afford it.
Live long and prospect
bob79

Emily wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 pm Sorry, it’s an ORX. I have just numbers. I’d like a full deus, but can’t afford it.
Have you still got your Ws4 headphones Em,🧐
Emily

bob79 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:34 pm Have you still got your Ws4 headphones Em,🧐

Yes I do, but I don’t think I like them much. I can’t see the screen and the noises sound different.
Live long and prospect
bob79

Emily wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:46 pm
Yes I do, but I don’t think I like them much. I can’t see the screen and the noises sound different.
Steve_JT

Sometimes this will happen when a small item is picked up, when digging the hole the small item can end up in the bottom of the hole in the loose dirt, or its picked up and when digging the hole its in the removed soil, spread it out with your foot. Another anomaly is the item is in the side of the hole, after the soil is removed the signal can be lost on occasions, try moving around the hole and sweeping in a different direction

Have you tried ear buds with the WS4 module, you will need the jack output connecter plate for this, its much better than the back phones

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

In general that can happen when small flat thin items turn on edge. Usually one or two disturbances of the soil should find it again. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Agree with Steve, inner ear buds will give you a great sound :thumbsup:

What can happen is; if you scan, say a small iron tack / nail that is round'ish in profile, at depth, it will return a reasonable 'dig-me' signal - maybe with a bit of iron grunt. Once you've removed the sod, the machine will then recognise it as iron and it'll be discrim'd out. I have this with the Deus, but it has to be investigated, just in case. It's a gamble you take. Leave it and risk missing something nice near iron or dig it and risk wasting a bit of energy.
Now if you had a good signal that disappeared and it turned out to be silver etc, then this could be because you've turned it on edge.

Good luck
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
mattjb

Just jumping in here! Sorry Emily!
I’m interested in trying earbuds with my deus lite set up.I’m getting on fine with the ws4 but can see on windy days they might not be the best option.
On one of his deus lite vids Gary recommends some Bose earbuds that were a bit expensive but no longer available anyway. He also says android ones give a better sound than apple ones. Does anyone have any recommendations of earbuds to use with the ws4 or suggestions of ones to avoid please?
Cheers in advance
Steve_JT

mattjb wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 pm Just jumping in here! Sorry Emily!
I’m interested in trying earbuds . Does anyone have any recommendations of earbuds to use with the ws4 or suggestions of ones to avoid please?
Cheers in advance
I use the JBL Focus 100, reasonable priced and can wear them all day, good sound too

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Jamesey1981

Are you using auto ground balance?

I have found that when I have accidentally turned auto ground balance on then sometimes I'll get a ground return that's in the good target range, that's why I asked about the xy screen as if you were getting a flat horizontal line then that's likely what it is.

If it is that then you haven't missed the target, there just wasn't one there, it was a false signal.

If its not that then it could be a change in orientation of the target as others have said, or it could also be a small target that was shallow that has dropped deeper into the hole you have dug, and it's dropped out of range, I always make sure I get anything loose out of the hole if the target isn't in the first shovel full and I have had small hammered coins do that, they're so small that they can drop out of the shovel full if the soil is loose.
Often happens to me as the soil round my way is chalky and well drained so always pretty crumbly unless it's really hoofing down with rain.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Blackadder43

Some excellent advice here from all of you :clapping:
Looks like you have some work to do Emily in digesting all of this and hopefully it sorts your machine out for you and regains your confidence :ugeek:
Oxgirl

Basic question. Have you turned it on with the coil in the air? Not on the ground. The Deus does not like you starting it up with the coil on the ground. It gives you ghost signals and doesn’t pick up signals it should :!:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking