A few bits from this afternoon

Kenleyboy

I managed to sneak a couple of well earned hours again this afternoon out on the fields . The weather this week is a bit iffy and after last nights downpour I had written off anymore time out for the rest of the week . As the day wore on it seemed to be more favourable with sunshine and cloud and a small chance of rain so I took may chances and headed out .
The previous nights rain had done wonders for the soil and the hard clumps of sun baked mud had finally broken down and made walking a lot easier as it crumbled underfoot and had become more compact .
I had just a few hours to spare before the light failed so I just stuck to one area where I had the Roman coin a few days ago . No Roman this time but plenty of signals which were mostly buttons , a huge nail which I just had to dig as it was an iffy signal and an assortment of bits of foil , lead and a screw cap bottle top . No ring pulls or shotties this time round but a few blank coins before the Victoria bun head made an appearance in half penny size . These coins always seem to have a nice green patina about them .
A George 11 a little worse for wear , thimble and an interesting little item which looks like some sort of mount . Within the grooves there a feint traces of red enamelling .
20210929_204933_resized[7548]partifact.jpg
The crotal bell was the last find and I almost didnt dig this as it gave a high pitch two way signal which sounded just like a piece of aluminium
, its quite distinct sharp sound . I tend to dig them just to see and they always end up being a bit of twisted aluminium or a crushed drinks can but there are times I leave them after digging in a few similar signals in succession . A lesson learned on this one and when the little bell rolled out I was quiet surprised as I half expected a crushed up can or similar .
20210929_205117_resized[7549]finds.jpg
Not bad for a few stolen hours .
figgis

Not bad for a few stolen hours? Can't argue with that!

I know what you mean about signals like the crotal bell give, but you have to dig them just in case. Musket balls are the same though maybe a touch lower in pitch.
Easylife

Nice to find an older crotal bell with a drilled shank. :thumbsup:
My oldest coin came from a field full of canslaw, I must have dug about 40 bits of it and expected another but it was a denarius! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Well done, Paul.
Any makers markings on the Crotal bell ?
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:09 pm Well done, Paul.
Any makers markings on the Crotal bell ?
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave
No makers marks but a little pattern design on the shoulders :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Crotal bells can give an awful signal for such a big bit of metal. I guess being hollow, with a slit and holes it isn’t surprising really. Nice finds!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

You are on a roll with the finds the past few weeks fella...always love a crotal bell, and looks fairly old too
Nice one
How is the daughter with the tecting now?.....has she gotten the bug?
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:40 pm You are on a roll with the finds the past few weeks fella...always love a crotal bell, and looks fairly old too
Nice one
How is the daughter with the tecting now?.....has she gotten the bug?
Been a lucky boy lately with the finds , just bracing myself for the dry period :lol:
Daughter has now nicked my Q40 , the bug has bitten !