Yet another few hours on the land

Kenleyboy

Been a bit spoilt this week and with the unpredictable weather I took my chances for another late afternoon session . With the evenings now closing in and the clocks due to go back in a few weeks time I am making the most of it while the rain holds off .
Despite a forecast for showers it was pleasantly bright and sunny for most of the afternoon and although it rained upon my arrival , it soon cleared .
New field this time , recently ploughed and nice and soft which made the going easy . I quite like this field , no more than about ten acres and does throw a few surprises up now and again but it can be hardwork which was proving to be the case for the couple of hours or so and I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right choice but I was here so best stick it out .
After a constant trek across the soft hilly mounds of soil and digging nothing of note I decided to have a break , no finds so far but it isnt just about that , being out and about is reward enough on such a fine day plus I had a nice slice of homemade fruit cake as a treat .
20211001_174127_resized[7557] scrap.jpg
My finds so far , the bottle cap made me laugh , reminded me of my youth taking Corona bottles back to the shop for a penny each , also a bottle diggers nightmare finding one of these in your hole , after all that toil and sweat you find a bottle going back to the 70s and that crushing feeling knowing its been dug out before back in the hey day and all the good stuff is long gone !
No matter the scenery was pleasing with a nice cloud formation hovering above the horizon like a giant airship and of course the tea and cake , no finds but I cant complain .
20211001_162109_resized[7556]landscape.jpg
20211001_161914_resized[7555]lunch.jpg
I am not sure if it was the pleasant lunch , the warmth of the sun but I felt at ease and my fortunes did begin to change a little when finally this neat little gem gave itself up which pleased me no end . My guess is a lead trade token , whatever it turns out to be it is a first for me on this field .
20211001_174946_resized[7558]lead token 1.jpg
20211001_174959_resized[7559]lead token2.jpg
From there on in things seemed to improve with a few interesting bits and bobs one being another large chunk of lead , neat circular lump the size of a penny and 1/4 inch thick . Blank on both faces but again I assume a trade weight possibly , gave a good signal .
a couple of dinky little buckles which are a favourite to find and a decorative clog clasp ?
No hammered coins today but I know they lurk in here somewhere but not today although the closest I could manage was a welcomed Jetton .
All in as the day wore on it got better and I would have loved another couple more hours but the light beat me and as always it was time to head for home .
20211001_200252_resized[7560]finds .jpg
Easylife

A nice end result, the lead token is likely 18th C by the style of the 'W'. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Great finds! Love the clothes fastener, nice to see the clog clasp and is that big item a sword or dagger finial? Great token too. Stick it in the ID thread if you want a full ID. I’d love to know too :thumbsup:

Loving the look of that cake too! You’ve just reminded me that last year’s Christmas cake - heavily fed with cognac - is still maturing in the cupboard. Might see if it is still edible :D A bit of butter is essential though. Might be bad for the heart but heck it’s a treat for the tastebuds!

Got any fuel yet? That bottle dump needs looking at next :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Officially jealous
1) you're getting out more than me
2) you had cake :Party:

A few nice bits there and a good afternoon by the looks :thumbsup:
figgis

Nice handful of finds there, chap.

That token is interesting and unless my minces are playing up worse than usual there looks to be "XIII" on one side and "XXXI" on the other?
Dave The Slave

Some good finds , Paul.
The 10p Corona lid made me laugh, have a couple at home and evoked the same memories hunting the riverside for them back in the `70 s.
That fruit cake has got me drooling.
Looks like a clog clasp on the right.
The lead domed piece reminds me of an Echinoid, wonder what its purpose was.
Good to see you finding stuff.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 am Some good finds , Paul.
The 10p Corona lid made me laugh, have a couple at home and evoked the same memories hunting the riverside for them back in the `70 s.
That fruit cake has got me drooling.
Looks like a clog clasp on the right.
The lead domed piece reminds me of an Echinoid, wonder what its purpose was.
Good to see you finding stuff.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
It is an echinoid , should have given a better photo of it . It is an odd one compared to the others I find , this one stands to a point .
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:03 am Nice handful of finds there, chap.

That token is interesting and unless my minces are playing up worse than usual there looks to be "XIII" on one side and "XXXI" on the other?
You are correct figgis , quite why that is I have no idea , will pop it up for an ID :thumbsup: