Nice gentle bottle dig

Kenleyboy

Today was bottle digging day , the first time out since May of this year , so for me that is a long break and it was going to be a very gentle introduction back into shifting soil , nice and easy take your time approach .Weather was favourable , sunshine with a bit of cloud , not too hot and a cool breeze , just right for the beginning of October .
Despite my time away from it all , it felt as if I had never been away from the place , a sort of pick up from where I left off . The stinging nettles were still high and in abundance which was a little disappointing and as there was no well trodden path I had to fight my way through a fresh jungle of stems which was hard going , with no human intervention nature had really taken over the place and with a vengeance .
I was glad that it wasnt the height of summer , walking through that lot in the blistering heat is no fun but eventually I got to the area I wanted to dig and found my old pit disguised under a fringe of nettles and brambles . My digging tools were still in place from where I hid them last time but just in case they would ever go missing I always bring a spare bit of kit with me and in case a spade or fork would snap , its always good to have a spare tucked away just in case .
First job was to clear away the nettles and reveal my old pit and clear that out . It is an ardous job but I never leave a gaping great hole behind when I have finished . There are Deer here for starters and I would never forgive myself if one took a tumble into a deep hole I dug and couldnt get out so I always back fill .
20211003_102520_resized[7574]the pit.jpg
Once the area is cleared then its a case of shovelling it out but I am a bit out of shape from my long absence so todays dig was a gentle affair and chest height is enough for me today .
A well earned cuppa was on the menu , no fancy cake this time , a sandwich and some fruit and just sit back and enjoy the surroundings . The Buzzards were at play again , they are resident birds and I never tire o watching their acrobatic displays and that haunting cry they emit which fills the sky and makes you look up to see where they are . The Geese are now moving in as well , and once again I love that noise they make as they fly over , arrow shaped formation as they head further afield as the winter roosting is calling .
There were some interesting finds along the way one being a small artists paint pallette from my favourite company , Winsor and newton , it is tiny but it is amazing how your eyes get accustomed to such things in amongst the ash and crumbling soil . I knew what it was straight away , the black ash had sat into the deep embossed lettering on the back highlighting the company name . Small and indistinctive to some but means a lot to me because of the associations , artists materials and a factory close to my childhood home .
Soon the grey cloud moved in , blotting out the sunshine and I was happy for that moment when the temperature dropped affording me some cool time while shifting the ever continuous shovels of soil .
It was good to find the ginger beers although four of them were from the same company and are all the same , a common bottle but nice to find all the same . One surprise find was a new one on me , Lockharts and son , not a company I have ever come across , a nice brown glaze with neat impressed company name .
The finds were adding up and I didnt even get shoulder deep before finally I had enough of my quota and my rucksack would be too full for comfortable walking especially with the under growth to contend with on my way out and home , its a long walk at the best of times .
20211003_142857_resized[7575]pit finds.jpg
Some of the finds cleaned . They will need a further cleaning in some diluted brick acid and then a good soaking for a week or so but not a bad dig .
20211003_201943_resized[7577]pit finds cleaned.jpg
Oxgirl

Some lovely finds but I’m a tiny bit in love with the tiny blue and white plate. A toy one? Maybe from a dolls house? So delicate to have survived for so long. The paint pallet is wonderful too!

Enjoyed that read, thanks Paul!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Always great to read about your bottle digs, Paul.
Surprised that you leave your tools there, is this so that people see the tools when you are entering and leaving and wonder what you are doing ? Discretion being the name of the game.
Glad you managed to rescue a fair amount too.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 am Always great to read about your bottle digs, Paul.
Surprised that you leave your tools there, is this so that people see the tools when you are entering and leaving and wonder what you are doing ? Discretion being the name of the game.
Glad you managed to rescue a fair amount too.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Thanks Dave :thumbsup:
This tip is out in the wilds so very little human attention apart from the odd local digger . We all leave our tools there but well hidden away but the chances of anyone finding them are very remote . There was a time where we could leave our tools up against a tree , we did so for years but we had an incident with a chancer who had found the tip and didnt play the game . Not backfilling holes and borrowing the tools and never returned them . It only takes the one to spoil it for the majority , thankfully he has gone but we still hide them .
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:45 pm Some lovely finds but I’m a tiny bit in love with the tiny blue and white plate. A toy one? Maybe from a dolls house? So delicate to have survived for so long. The paint pallet is wonderful too!

Enjoyed that read, thanks Paul!
Yes that little dinner plate is from a childs dolls house play set . We do find the odd mini cup and saucer and they tend to survive being so small . :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Brilliant, its bottle digging season again :clapping:
I look forward to your adventures in the nettles and undergrowth

A lot of hard work, especially having to uncover your pit again, but well worth the effort both on the safety and also disguising the plot...

And it didnt disappoint either, what a great lot of finds
But a pot of Ham and Tongue :shock:
I remember both my nans liking that sort of food, i suppose food of the times

That hole looks surprisingly dry though?
Round my way we have had continuous rain for the last 10 days at least, was expecting to see it a bit muddier there?

Cheers for sharing and looking forward to the new seasons finds :ugeek:
figgis

Great read as usual, Paul, and glad you've finally managed to get digging again after such a long layoff :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

Great read. :thumbsup:
I've been meaning to ask - what do you do with all the finds you pull up. You surely can't keep it all, not unless you have a 100,000 square foot warehosue close by? :lol: :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

shaggybfc wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:38 am Great read. :thumbsup:
I've been meaning to ask - what do you do with all the finds you pull up. You surely can't keep it all, not unless you have a 100,000 square foot warehosue close by? :lol: :lol:
Good question . :thumbsup: I am very strict with what goes into my own collection or it does get out of hand . Most of what you see in the photos will go into what I call my bulk box . That then gets traded off to a friend of mine who has a market stall . He finds bottles on his travels and knows what I like so we trade my bulk for say a decent flagon etc . I dont like to overload myself with loads of bottles . I have about 200 . That sounds a lot but is minimal compared to many who have thousands ! I only like mint or near mint bottles and tend to only collect artists bottles such as winsor and newton and some from my old home town . I have a small collection of local Norfolk ginger beers all of which I have dug . I like ink bottles , nice and small and connected to artists materials so nice and small to display .
A lot of this is about the hunt , seeing a stoneware ginger beer poking out of the side wall is as exciting as seeing a hammered coin in the clod . That is my own personal take on it . Others dig for money and others dig to hoard . My digging buddy is a hoarder :lol: I couldnt cope with that , I just like to have a small neat collection . I also give a lot away , I cant bear to chuck them , they have survived in the ground for over a hundred plus years and to just bin them would be criminal . The photos show only a portion of what is found , the rest gets left behind and back in the hole for other future bottle diggers . Sometimes you get lucky and find a nice rare bottle , bit like finding a gold coin , you may or may not ever find one so its the hunt that spurs you on . :thumbsup: