Genuine countryside find

Saffron

As a "country boy" I was really pleased with this find. A genuine bit of the real country life.

Would have loved to find the other half but did not want to risk the owner seeing me as I suspect he might not have appreciated me metal detecting in his fields.

Evan
Attachments
DSCN0747.JPG
Easylife

Evan, I think you are talking bull again! :D :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Only just woken up, so mis interpreted your post.
Why would the owner be angry about you detecting, when you have permission ? :?:
Momentary lapse of reason then twigged, Bull not human. :lol:
Takes another sip of strong coffee.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

I also did a double take Dave 😳🤣

One of my fields has a sign on the gate saying “the Bull can do 0-30mph in 3 seconds, can you run this fast, if not stay out”. It’s been there for many years…. He’s never had a bull to my knowledge.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Saffron

Dave The Slave wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:48 pm Only just woken up, so mis interpreted your post.
Why would the owner be angry about you detecting, when you have permission ? :?:
Momentary lapse of reason then twigged, Bull not human. :lol:
Takes another sip of strong coffee.
Dave.
Easylife was straight on to it and should have given everybody a good clue.

But I admit I did word it in such a way to see if I might catch anybody out. Dave initially fell for it, but I am letting him off as he had not had enough coffee and I am useless before I have had mine in the morning.

For anybody that has not worked it out the item is half of the metal ring that goes through a bulls nose like in the attached (photo of English Longhorn bull with nose ring from Science Photo Library). They are made in the form of a pair of hinged semicircles, hence this being a half.

For those unsure of why these are used the following taken from https://www.4wileyfarm.com but anybody that has attended the livestock section of an agricultural show would have seen one.

A bull ring is simply a ring, usually made of brass, stainless steel or aluminum that is inserted into the septum. This is usually done by a veterinarian when an animal is between nine and twelve months of age.

So what is the purpose of a bull ring?

​The bull ring has been used for generations as a safety measure to control an animal. The septum is a very sensitive area, so a tug on the bull ring will help to bring the animal into submission.

​​If you have been around farming very long, or even read the paper, you have probably heard of some story about a bull attacking a grown man. Most of these stories do not end well (for the man).

Evan
Attachments
bull.JPG
Dave The Slave

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm I also did a double take Dave 😳🤣

One of my fields has a sign on the gate saying “the Bull can do 0-30mph in 3 seconds, can you run this fast, if not stay out”. It’s been there for many years…. He’s never had a bull to my knowledge.
Love that laugh out loud signage. :lol:
Dave.
figgis

For a second I wondered why the hell the other two couldn't put their jelly beans down for one moment and concentrate on the type of posts being they're allowing through :lol:

Never detected in a field with anything other than a dog or horse in it and happy for that to remain the case :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

:rollinglaughing:

You nearly got me too, although I know you so I wasn’t fooled.

All I can think though is being a farmer leading a bull by its nose and it breaking :lol: That might be a bit scary!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm I also did a double take Dave 😳🤣

I have heard of that type of sign before. Its funny how people can not understand "Keep out", but understand a sign mentioning a bull.

I know a field that has a sign saying "Stallion" on it, it has the same effect :)

Several years back was up the hill walking the dog when 2 ladies stopped me and asked where "Stallion Farm" was, quick think "Sorry I have lived here all my live and have never heard of it", they insist the farm is called "Stallion Farm", I then have a thought "Did it have a sign on the gate saying stallion". They confirm "Yes, Stallion Farm". I laugh and ask them which village they had parked in .... they gave the answer I knew would come. Trying not to laugh again I say "The sign said 'Stallion' and not 'Stallion Farm', and its because there could be a stallion in the field" (not mentioning that I had never known that to be the case). They are both horrified, and then ask "How can we get back to the car avoiding the stallion" :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

Evan
Saffron

I hope I managed to make everybody do a double take and have to think before working out what the item was, and then have a laugh.

I expect very few detectorists have ever found one, so if nothing else it might help others with an ID in the future.

It also meant I could give a bit of background information to those not familiar with the reason for the item.

Evan