Coin spill

Saffron

The other evening I had a session on a very local permission, although its normally unproductive its so close that its handy for getting out for some exercise and fresh air even if not hopefully of finds.

I started with a pin fire cartridge, so something a bit better than scrap which is a positive on this site.

Then worked towards a flat area just above an old scout camp, where you might think coins had been dropped :thumbsup: but appear not to have been :thumbdown: On the way to that area find a George V 1936 halfpenny, 1997 50p, 1990 £1, 1998 1p so four coins which is a very good return for this permission.

As its getting dusk head back towards the car, after a couple of hundred yards get a good signal, another coin, and another, and another, and another :shock: :shock: but by now its dark so pack up suspecting there are more to be found. Once in the car see I have a mixture of early decimals and shillings.

Go back the next day and after a lot of walking around in circles eventually find the correct spot - although I had taken bearings on several tall trees it was hard to locate, although I say it myself I was impressed by the standard of hole filling especially as the last two had been in the dark.

With the help of a very friendly strawberry rhone and near white grey start again and complete recovering the spilt coins. I end up with a George VI 1950 shilling, QEII 1962 & 1966 shilling, large 1978 50p, large 1969, 1976 & 1980 10p pieces, large 1969 & 1977 5p pieces, 1978 1p all same coin spill. By far the largest inland coin spill I have ever had.

I thought it was interesting that the coin spill had to be at least 1980, 9 years after decimalisation, yet 3 of the coins were pre-decimal shillings with the oldest being 1950.

All the cupro-nickel coins were in the normal dreadful state and a "dirty brown" colour, however after about 4 hours in the tumbler they now look much better (sorry as normal I forgot to take a "before" photo :oops: )

Evan
Attachments
DSCN0754.JPG
Easylife

Always fun to find a coin spill, I think my last was just a few decimal pennies, but a good number there! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

And to think, how many times you'd been on this unproductive field, and not walked over these..... so there's hope for another coin spill, but maybe from 1000 years earlier :D
I might have to invest in one of those tumblers, they've cleaned up nicely :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

Lovely to read about an inland Decimal/ Pre -Decimal coin spill, Evan.
Worked in a pub 1985-87 and the old Shillings and Florins, two Shillings used to occasionally turn up. think i rescued around 75p worth that later sold for around £18.
Pre Decimals may not be everyones` cup of tea but do like to find them.
Well done, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Saffron

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:07 am And to think, how many times you'd been on this unproductive field, and not walked over these..... so there's hope for another coin spill, but maybe from 1000 years earlier :D
I might have to invest in one of those tumblers, they've cleaned up nicely :thumbsup:
Thanks Shaggy.

Even the first 4 single coins were much better than the norm for this permission so the coin spill was a bonus, and as you say that field has been walked over many times (but it is VERY large!), so you never know what else might be there.

I have replaced the original photo with a better one taken in daylight, which shows the coins better (only the cupro-nickel coins have been cleaned, the others as found).

The other month I purchased "Cleaning Coins & Artifacts" by David Villanueva, in there he said about giving the cupro-nickel coins about 4 hours in the tumbler and its the first time I have tried that long a period, even after 3 hours you could see very little change it was the extra hour that made the difference. Normally would not bother too much with decimals, but think any dirty pre-decimal cupro-nickel coins from 1947 on, eg shillings and florins, are worth cleaning now I have seen the results. (FYI: The George VI 1950 shilling was badly pitted before I started).

As Dave said Pre Decimals may not be everyones` cup of tea and I am not getting over excited about this find but it does make a change and a good condition silver milled is always nice, and to look at so are the 1947 onwards cupro-nickel coins, and I like the slightly more unusual bronze coins like the ship halfpennies and wren farthings.

Evan