Tale of a field part I

HolzHammer

But I'll keep it short promise.

Evening All,
There is a field wot I have been on a lot recently. It is new to me and several attempts have yielded nothing. But I feel there must be a good area.
Finally I come to the last corner undetected and then in quick succession I find the Sestertius ( though after BeckyBlue's last post I am starting to doubt! It is very flat on the reverse which is a bad sign and the hole made me think it was a dog tag at first before the raised "bust" became more obvious through rubbing. Then the ring.... then the damaged hammered... then what I think is a "whole" strap end...both parts still together and might be the leather still inside?.. its not dirt I don't think and its very hard...I got really excited called it a day, exhausted, knowing I would be back as soon as light broke!!! And that's when I found the ampulla and bulla ( along with other bits and pieces). Part III tomorrow - I don't dare tell you now you will send me to Coventry!

Anyway any thoughts on finds from Part I much appreciated!
All the B
Alexander

Sorry for amount of photos I have resized them quite small though... sorry reached the limit it seems...
Attachments
AVW_5439.jpeg
AVW_5444.jpeg
AVW_5443.jpeg
AVW_5447.jpeg
AVW_5446.jpeg
AVW_5445.jpeg
mattjb

It’s a bit of a double edged sword looking at your finds on here! Makes us all very envious of your quality permissions but on the plus side it means you’ll be making more of your excellent YouTube vids!
Having been laid up for the last couple of days with housemaids knee(not a very manly sounding affliction!) ,I’ve had nothing much else to do than watch countless detecting vids on YouTube.Yours are up there with the best, if not the best so keep em coming!
Oxgirl

If you want to add more photos just add another post to the thread :thumbsup: We don’t get precious about disc space because none of you are children that need babysitting, you are sensible adults :D

Love the finds. Finding leather in medieval strap ends isn’t common but certainly isn’t unheard of. I have a couple and is usually a great sign that items will appear in pretty good condition :thumbsup:

So what is in part 3? I’m intrigued and will get my sick bucket ready just in case it’s needed again :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Oxgirl

Forgot to say the strap end is 14-15th century. This brilliant guide the strap ends is worth a look. I was drooling
HolzHammer

mattjb wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:12 pm It’s a bit of a double edged sword looking at your finds on here! Makes us all very envious of your quality permissions but on the plus side it means you’ll be making more of your excellent YouTube vids!
Having been laid up for the last couple of days with housemaids knee(not a very manly sounding affliction!) ,I’ve had nothing much else to do than watch countless detecting vids on YouTube.Yours are up there with the best, if not the best so keep em coming!
Thanks Matt!
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:05 pm Forgot to say the strap end is 14-15th century. This brilliant guide the strap ends is worth a look. I was drooling
Thanks Cath I’ll take a proper look later
figgis

HolzHammer wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:04 pm Part III tomorrow - I don't dare tell you now you will send me to Coventry!
The mind boggles. Cath's
Oxgirl wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:01 pm So what is in part 3? I’m intrigued and will get my sick bucket ready just in case it’s needed again :lol:
is about right and I reckon a spare bucket might be in order :lol:

But, just out of interest, what's in Part II? Is there a Part II or were the finds rubbish in that so you skipped straight to Part III? :D

And please do load up the pics of the sestertius :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:22 am The mind boggles. Cath's is about right and I reckon a spare bucket might be in order :lol:

But, just out of interest, what's in Part II? Is there a Part II or were the finds rubbish in that so you skipped straight to Part III? :D

And please do load up the pics of the sestertius :thumbsup:
Morning John - can I add them on this post now ( following day)?
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:05 pm Forgot to say the strap end is 14-15th century. This brilliant guide the strap ends is worth a look. I was drooling
Just been having a browse through your link and the other categories on that website, some interesting stuff on there and useful for IDs etc :thumbsup:
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:38 am ..... can I add them on this post now ( following day)?
You can add them anytime you like Alex as there is no daily pic limit, it's 6 pics per individual posting not per day. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:38 am Morning John - can I add them on this post now ( following day)?
You could have added them yesterday :thumbsup: . I thought I’d said it was fine in my post above but I obviously distracted you with talk of sick buckets :lol:
To be clear we don’t limit the post photos, the software does. You just need to add another post. I think it’s 6 photos per post if that helps. If you have more than 6 you just add another post to the thread. Our rules do not prohibit lots of photos cause 1. We love seeing finds and 2. We hate rules ;)

Mind you if some idiot decided to keep posting 20 photos of all their boring tat we might decide a temporary rule, just for them, is required :twisted:
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 am You can add them anytime you like Alex as there is no daily pic limit, it's 6 pics per individual posting not per day. :thumbsup:
I should employ Easylife in the mornings cause that one line is much clearer than my multi line unclear drivel :lol:

Than you Ian, that is completely correct :thumbsup: