EQUINOX Software Update 3.0

TerraBritannia

Spotted elsewhere but worth sharing.

What is new?

A new Single Frequency of 4 kHz has been added to the existing 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz options. This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies.

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance.

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included.
https://www.minelab.com/usa/equinox-software-update-3-0
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Easylife

That's quite interesting, I'll likely update but in about a weeks time as I can't afford any hiccups this week. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
I-Rutus

Easylife wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:16 pm That's quite interesting, I'll likely update but in about a weeks time as I can't afford any hiccups this week. :thumbsup:

Ok then..... I'm going in :o
I-Rutus

Well as usual that was easy :thumbsup:

And you do in fact get a new 4khz added to the previous set, so now you have 4khz and 5khz
Bors

I can't see what one kHz difference will make between the existing 5 kHz and the new add-on of 4 kHz ? :shock: Thats a very strange concoction to decide to put on aswell.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Easylife

I-Rutus wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:17 pm Well as usual that was easy :thumbsup:

And you do in fact get a new 4khz added to the previous set, so now you have 4khz and 5khz
Is the 4khz added to multi?
Blackadder43

Well done Kev for being the first here to take the plunge...
I'll see if i can find my machine in my house and fire it up and load it on later.... :thumbsup:
I-Rutus

There is nothing from Minelab to say it is, But they do say it is for the Asian market, and it is the stability side of the upgrade that is for the rest of us
Bors

It`ll be interesting to see if anyone uses it as not many use the 5 kHz anyway.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
I-Rutus

I had the Nox out today, and it seemed less chatty when using my usual settings, and it was still finding small stuff at fantastic depths, so all good so far.
I see there is an American video of a direct test between the older and newer settings, and it does look like it may worth be trying if looking for silver coins.
Saffron

I have done the update, very quick and easy like the previous firmware updates.

The reason I did the update so soon after it came out was that I watched a (USA) test on a 8" deep silver coin and new version did give a much cleaner signal.

Despite it saying you need Windows 10 this is NOT the case, I used a tower unit pc and windows 7. For previous updates I also know several that did them with a desk top running windows 7 with no problems, although one or two with windows 7 on laptops had issues.

If you have not done previous updates when you do this one it will included them, so no need to worry if you did not do an earlier update.

I used it for a reasonable session on a very heavily detected site in Field 1 running just the single 4Khz freq. I always use multi and did find this more stable and as a result was able to up the sensitivity slightly (but would 5Khz and the old version have been more stable than multi? - I do not know).

All the comments I have seen so far have been either positive or people seeing no difference, I have seen no negative comments. I suspect most users will infrequently use the 4Khz single frequency, but it might have its uses, but the machine being more stable (even if only slightly in UK conditions) has to be an advantage, so I see no reason not to do the update.

Evan
Easylife

Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am The reason I did the update so soon after it came out was that I watched a (USA) test on a 8" deep silver coin and new version did give a much cleaner signal.
Well the ground can be more mineralized over there, but not seen that yet.
Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am Despite it saying you need Windows 10 this is NOT the case, I used a tower unit pc and windows 7. For previous updates I also know several that did them with a desk top running windows 7 with no problems, although one or two with windows 7 on laptops had issues.
I have dual boot Win 7 & 10 just in case but update in Win 7 with no probs.
Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am I used it for a reasonable session on a very heavily detected site in Field 1 running just the single 4Khz freq. I always use multi and did find this more stable and as a result was able to up the sensitivity slightly.
The best thing is to get a target in one and then switch frequencies over it to compare for yourself. Single frequencies of say 20khz or lower work better with EMI, but I have never understood it when some UK Noxer's say that they have managed to run Sensitivity at 18/20 or even as high as 22 on normal ground? 24/25 is my norm even with the 15" coil and is very stable!

So why is this update primarily aimed at the Asian market? Usually any updates are for the better but it would be nice to know what the changes actually are, I wonder why Minelab are being so tight lipped about that?
Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am All the comments I have seen so far have been either positive or people seeing no difference, I have seen no negative comments.
That's quite reassuring so maybe I ought to take the plunge?
Saffron wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 am I suspect most users will infrequently use the 4Khz single frequency, but it might have its uses.

Well yes, It should give an edge on larger deep targets and hoards!
Multi-frequency will better identify and will generally find more targets than a single frequency. The single 4khz has a more specific purpose but is less likely to see the thin.

I'd like to see a comparison of both versions on those really deep iffy targets that many just walk away from. :thumbsup: :lol:
I-Rutus

Unless you have two detectorists, and two machines, one updated, one not, and have a way of locating, recording, but not digging a signal so that the other detectoris does not k ow it is there, you will have no real way of knowing if one is truly better than the other.

As soon as you know a target is there, you automatically change your swing speed etc in an effort to locate the "known" target.
Dukeynox800

Don’t think be any diffrence to 5khz but I’m not going to bother as my machine runs spot on without doing the update I’ve not updated to the last 2 updates kept mine pretty much as it came out with original but that’s me people have their owne ways of knowing what their machine needs and mine just needs me haha
Minelab equinox 800 - mi-6 pin pointer black Ada stainless spade and lots of luck 🍀
Pete E

Updated my machine to the latest version, and after three outing I am not impressed.

All other setting being the same (F2, Recovery 3, Fe 3, Sensitivity 24, All Metal off) and my tone now sound stunted\clipped...Over targets such as moo tubes and musket balls at the 4" to 6" range, it was often difficult to get a good hit on both directions of the swing...This happened s number of times, to the point I was pinpointing the "half signal" and then digging to find target..Previously these sort of targets would all most "ring" when you got the swing speed right..

I also noticed I was getting more falsing on deep iron. I would get a good signal of around12/13/14/15 switch to all metal and get no indication of iron only to get it and get iron at the 10" to 12" depth. It almost seemed as if I was in Fe 0 rather than 3.

Finally, the Depth Indicator was all to pot...I know it's not the most accurate, but in one instance in gave a maximum depth reading for what turned out to be a thumb nail sized bit of flat lead that was actually in the grass roots of the clod...I don't normally use the depth indicator and I am noting this just to say its changed...

All that said, I did dig a typical days worth of targets, but most were fairly shallow, with the only deep ones being the iron.

I have now reverted to the previous software so will see how that goes...Hopefully, I will be able to nip out to my musket ball paddock after-work on Tuesday and see if it's back to normal...