EQUINOX Software Update 3.0

Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:41 pm Updated my machine to the latest version, and after three outing I am not impressed.
I recently updated and can relate to some of your points, last time out in particular I thought things were generally noisier and targets not sounding quite so good, but I just put it down to the new ground that I was searching, ground conditions, and the iron and trash present. The only thing that had changed is that I had put my usual 15” coil back on after using the 11” on a friends land, so that should have made no difference at all.
I normally use sensitivity 24/25, reactivity 3, and FE 0 – A solid 2-way 15 can sound only just slightly off but when flicked into 10khz will either confirm it as definite iron by giving a consistent TID in the high 20's, but if not then it is a deep non-ferrous target beyond single frequency TID ability.
With the target depth indicator I find that 3 is shallow (usually in the plug), 4 is quite noticeably deeper (beyond the plug), and 6 is deep deep. The target depth indicator is based on a coin sized item so smaller targets can appear deeper. Even a very shallow target laying on edge may appear to be deeper.
I think the thing is to keep an open mind and give the update a fair go on familiar ground. I was very completely happy with how it was before and didn't notice any difference the first few times out with it since updating. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

I did try to keep an open mind especially as I found a hammered the first time out after the update, however it soon become apparent things were "not right" so to speak...

I deliberately went to my musket ball paddock this morning as I know what to expect there...

I would say 99% of targets with a TID of 15/16 are musket balls with no moo tubes and very little deep iron...

Most of the musket balls come up in the 4" to 6" depth range with a few shallower and a few deeper. Prior to the update, the Nox would hit all these hard, with even the deepest giving a good, unmistakeable signal. After the update, the signals were pretty poor sometimes with virtually no tone on the return swing...

On my third outing on a different farm, I had a play with the settings and I found that searching in All Metal improved the sound of the tones..They were still not as good as prior to the update but certainly better...

As I mentioned previously, I tend not to hunt in All Metal as I hate the constant iron chatter, so this afternoon when I went into All Metal, I muted the iron audio T1 in the advanced volume menu ...This seemed to be a reasonable compromise and I could still see what was going on re the iron by watching the TID..

With regards the update, I now think that Minelab have tweaked things to try to get some extra depth and perhaps altered the iron discrimination slightly as well. However this has had a bit of an adverse result for those of us who don't hunt in All Metal, but conversely is probably not so noticeable if you do hunt in All Metal...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:07 pm I went into All Metal, I muted the iron audio T1 in the advanced volume menu ...This seemed to be a reasonable compromise and I could still see what was going on re the iron by watching the TID.
Another way to be aware of ferrous is to use the threshold. The thing about hunting in all metal (with Iron volume set to minimum of course) is that you are fully aware of any possible targets that may be masked, whereas otherwise they could very easily be simply dismissed. But that does kind of depend upon the degree of iron present and your mood etc.

The only absolutely sure way to check for any difference would be to compare two identical machines over the very same targets, same settings, same conditions but with just one updated. I'd be quite surprised if Minelab had taken a backward step as their updates would no doubt have been tested in many different scenarios.

Your musket ball field brings to mind a club dig I was on where everyone was finding musket balls. It was very close to a town with civil war history so maybe a skirmish took place there? :Thinking:
Pete E

I agree it's very hard to draw solid conclusions but it will be interesting to see how things go now I' ve reverted...Of course nothing is set in stone and I may well try the update again...

Re the musket balls..Before detecting the paddock, I was told that there used to be a chapel there and there was a skirmish of some sort during the Civil War...The farmer then confirmed he demolished the remains of a chapel in the 1980's...

However a little research showed that it was an independent chapel which was built in the 1860's, with no mention of there being another chapel there prior...

The only other finds that come up with any regularity on there are what I think are the remains of percussion caps used to ignite the charge...if I am correct, that would indicate a post 1820's date which again rules out a civil war connection...

When I get a chance, I want to follow it up the whole thing with the local historical society to see if they can shed any light on it..
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 am <cut>
I was told that there used to be a chapel there ......... The farmer then confirmed he demolished the remains of a chapel in the 1980's...

However a little research showed that it was an independent chapel which was built in the 1860's, with no mention of there being another chapel there prior...

<cut>

When I get a chance, I want to follow it up the whole thing with the local historical society to see if they can shed any light on it..
I do not know what research you have done so far.

Regarding the chapel a large number of Bapist Chapels were built in the 1850s and 1860s.

Try this database, its fairly comprehensive and covers both current and defunct churches and chapels (I have even provided information to it!) and could well have information on your chapel http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/

Evan
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 am I agree it's very hard to draw solid conclusions...
I find it very hard to accept some of the hearsay that my landowners tell me as it just doesn't quite add up research wise or through finds. Local history societies are worth contacting as they likely know more local history than is available online. The chapel sounds like maybe one of those prefab tabernacles so I would not expect too much from around it. But the land was likely used for hundreds of years to some degree in ancient times, but that will determine the chances of any ancient losses. :thumbsup:
Pete E

I didn't pay much heed to the original claim until the musket balls turned up in such numbers!

With regards the Civil War, if you listen to the local lore of the area, Cromwell personally stayed in about every old farmhouse and hall in the area! lol Still, it gives me hope I might find a Cromwell coin one day! lol
tone

been using v3 for a couple of week's now not for me gone back to v2 .
Pete E

tone wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:47 am been using v3 for a couple of week's now not for me gone back to v2 .
Interesting...For what reasons?
tone

to be honest i can't really put my finger on it . I've had a nox for 18 months and the last 12 month's have not really changed any setting's just a tweak now and then depending on field condition's. but did seem to notice after updating to 3 target sound's seem to sound different to me so I've gone back to v2 i'll be out for a few hour's later so hoping thing's will be back to our they were.
Pete E

tone wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:25 pm to be honest i can't really put my finger on it . I've had a nox for 18 months and the last 12 month's have not really changed any setting's just a tweak now and then depending on field condition's. but did seem to notice after updating to 3 target sound's seem to sound different to me so I've gone back to v2 i'll be out for a few hour's later so hoping thing's will be back to our they were.
Thanks for that, i will be interested to hear how you get on...
TerraBritannia

I saw this post on Twitter earlier (it may be someone here?). They've also noticed a difference in signals sounds.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:58 pm I saw this post on Twitter earlier (it may be someone here?). They've also noticed a difference in signals sounds.
That's not me, but it's seems I am not imagining the issue....
Pete E

Had quick spin around the garden, and it appears its now back as it was with good signals almost "ringing" and being equally strong on both swings of the sweep..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Obviously I can't tell for sure with out taking it in the field and digging a few signals, but I am fairly confident things are sorted..
TerraBritannia

Have you gone back to the V2 software Peter?
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800