At last…looks like a new machine is coming soon

Oxgirl

Ohhhh well that’s a big clue. Hell best check my bank account just in case :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

As much as I like the Nox, a new SMF version of the Deus would certainly get my attention, even if I have to sell a kidney to get one! :D
Steve_JT

It does sound interesting, it will have to be at least capable of competing with the latest innovations of all the other top range machines

If it has multi frequency added to what the DEUS already has then I would seriously consider, hope the hype is not all piff and wind :Thinking:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Steve_JT wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:30 pm It does sound interesting, it will have to be at least capable of competing with the latest innovations of all the other top range machines

If it has multi frequency added to what the DEUS already has then I would seriously consider, hope the hype is not all piff and wind :Thinking:

Regards Steve
So do I. I’ll be well annoyed if it isn’t a big step forward :|
figgis

I must be the only one going, "Meh" :D

From a purely personal point of view, I can't stop finding stuff with the existing Deus setup. But that's now, and maybe - maybe - once it all starts drying up then I might consider a new machine. After I've tweaked my usual searching with programme and parameter changes, that is :thumbsup:
Metalurgy

Unless there’s some major breakthrough,that defies the laws of physics,there’s only a limited amount of improvement that is possible with a VLF machine.
No doubt there’ll be the usual claims of finds on hunted out ground etc but the bottom line is that the laws of physics prevail,no matter how good the publicity is.
Easylife

They pretty much need to bring out a Nox with an XP sticker on it to move forward. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:43 pm They pretty much need to bring out a Nox with an XP sticker on it to move forward. :thumbsup:
I wondered how long it’d take you to say that ;)

The simple fact is if we wanted a multi frequency we’d have lots of choices. The fact I, and others, haven’t changed is a lot more complex than that.

Personally I like the deus because it’s well balanced, lighter, has no wires anywhere and has components that work independently of each other. No matter if anything breaks I can just carry on with a spare headset or coil. Most importantly though I like the XP tones and don’t want to learn a new machine from a different manufacturer from scratch.

Would I care much about MF if I didn’t have a lot of old pasture though? Probably not. Whilst the Deus no longer deserves the ‘it’s not deep’ myth (that really is cobblers) it does have weaknesses on some targets. But then every machine has weaknesses. Please let’s not make it a pissing contest though :thumbsup:
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 pm Personally I like the deus because it’s well balanced, lighter, has no wires anywhere and has components that work independently of each other. No matter if anything breaks I can just carry on with a spare headset or coil. Most importantly though I like the XP tones and don’t want to learn a new machine from a different manufacturer from scratch.
I think thats a fair summary of the Deus...As a Nox user, I do look at Deus users in the field with a touch of envy, as lack of the wires does make the Deus look such a nice clean set up...

I know what you mean about learning new tones as well...it's the one thing that would make be hesitant to switch to an XP machine, and wires or not, I would prefer to wait for ML to release "Son of Nox" if they ever do..
Oxgirl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 pmWould I care much about MF if I didn’t have a lot of old pasture though? Probably not. Whilst the Deus no longer deserves the ‘it’s not deep’ myth (that really is cobblers) it does have weaknesses on some targets. But then every machine has weaknesses. Please let’s not make it a pissing contest though :thumbsup:
One distinct advantage of MF that initially swayed me to buying the Nox is no more detecting coke, cinders, or the majority of hot rocks...Living and detecting in a former coal mining area, that was very important to me...I have heard new comers to our Club with single frequency machines say that they can consistently tell if a signal is coke cinders or hotrocks but then watched them struggle at times on certain permissions...
Oxgirl

Pete E wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:33 pm One distinct advantage of MF that initially swayed me to buying the Nox is no more detecting coke, cinders, or the majority of hot rocks...Living and detecting in a former coal mining area, that was very important to me...I have heard new comers to our Club with single frequency machines say that they can consistently tell if a signal is coke cinders or hotrocks but then watched them struggle at times on certain permissions...
Can’t disagree with that, it is a weakness :thumbsup:

Let’s see what XP are offering though. At the moment we don’t really know much. Maybe some boffin has had a eureka moment and has come up with a physics defying new idea and my bank balance will be looking very bruised. Or maybe it’s a starter machine or some other disappointing offering and I’ll be crying in a corner along with a large group of other XP users :( . I’m crossing everything that it’ll be good though :ugeek:
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 pm I wondered how long it’d take you to say that ;)

The simple fact is if we wanted a multi frequency we’d have lots of choices. The fact I, and others, haven’t changed is a lot more complex than that.
Let's be realistic, single frequency is really quite limiting though will find lots of course. But at the end of the day it is about whatever you are happy with and whatever works best for you. Many Deus users have just never compared say even a Nox in multi-frequency over the same ground or even the same targets, so the saying of what you've never had you won't miss is quite true for many. But in my own personal experience of owning and comparing both machines over the same ground and targets it was a simple no brainer not just because of the Deus liking coke and iron issues, but also the many targets that the Deus was simply blind to, and my land has come alive again since changing detectors! I can only speak from my own actual experience of using both, though do respect each to their own whatever your choice. :thumbsup:
So I get the impression that if XP bring out a simultaneous multi-frequency detector which could bring your seemingly quiet ground back to life then I take it that you would not be interested at all? :D
Easylife

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, it's just whatever machine works best for me. Would I have another XP machine? Sure I would if it performs better than my current favourite, but just not sure that that will ever happen? :Thinking:
HolzHammer

Very good arguments all round though I don’t understand the coke problem with the deus … I use the lite and have done for years … I hardly ever dig coke or iron for that matter (unless I want to) both, esp the coke are very obvious unless you are using the deep programme. Having said that I always use full tones so it never comes into a low tone bracket as it were…
BuriedByTime&Dust

Easylife wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm Let's be realistic, single frequency is really quite limiting though will find lots of course. But at the end of the day it is about whatever you are happy with and whatever works best for you. Many Deus users have just never compared say even a Nox in multi-frequency over the same ground or even the same targets, so the saying of what you've never had you won't miss is quite true for many. But in my own personal experience of owning and comparing both machines over the same ground and targets it was a simple no brainer not just because of the Deus liking coke and iron issues, but also the many targets that the Deus was simply blind to, and my land has come alive again since changing detectors! I can only speak from my own actual experience of using both, though do respect each to their own whatever your choice. :thumbsup:
So I get the impression that if XP bring out a simultaneous multi-frequency detector which could bring your seemingly quiet ground back to life then I take it that you would not be interested at all? :D
I have. I had a Nox 800 for about 18mths, but then sold it. Aside from not being a great fan of the tones, the lack of any gain control and sketchy connectivity with the WM08 module were minor irritations. Target ID was also incredibly vague, with a million things registering 11-13. For cultivated soil I found that I preferred the Deus and I had the CTX for depth on pasture, so the Nox was gathering dust.

As I've said before though, if I was to run just a single machine I'd probably forgive the Nox its shortcomings because it is a very good all-rounder.
Pete E

HolzHammer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:43 am Very good arguments all round though I don’t understand the coke problem with the deus … I use the lite and have done for years … I hardly ever dig coke or iron for that matter (unless I want to) both, esp the coke are very obvious unless you are using the deep programme. Having said that I always use full tones so it never comes into a low tone bracket as it were…
No offence, but if you are hunting down south, you don't really know what coke infested ground is! When I used a Racer 2 I quickly learnt what coke or cinders should sound like/ come up on the display, but I was still digging *a lot* of the stuff because much of it was coming up like good targets rather than where it should be...

But this is on farm land that had been industrialised in the late 1700's through to the mid 1900's, much of it former coal mines or associated with the railways....Add to that the old practice of ash tipping from domestic coal fires, and you can perhaps under stand the scale of the issue....