Kid's Detectors

BuriedByTime&Dust

I took my 8 year old niece to the local field to do some detecting a few weeks ago and now she's crazing my brother to buy her a metal detector :lol:

He's asked me which one he should buy so if you any of you have any recommendations, I'm all ears :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the Nokta Mini and Midi Hoard at the minute, so any user reviews of those would be great.
figgis

Bearing in mind I've not really paid much (if any) attention to reviews regarding the Nokta, what I do remember is that they were rave reviews.

Mind you, if XP deliver a new high end machine then you'll be able to pick up a lightweight Deus full for a couple of quid shortly :lol:
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:50 pm Bearing in mind I've not really paid much (if any) attention to reviews regarding the Nokta, what I do remember is that they were rave reviews.

Mind you, if XP deliver a new high end machine then you'll be able to pick up a lightweight Deus full for a couple of quid shortly :lol:
We used the Deus and 9" coil, but it was still a bit too big/heavy. Being quite tall, I have extended both the middle section and grip to cup section though, so that probably didn't help.

I'll give her the the CTX and 17" coil next time and she'll be glad to go back to the Deus :lol:
figgis

:lol:

Glad to hear of another youngster being bitten by the bug, though. Hope you get a machine which furthers the interest :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

From what i read the innards of the Nokta kids machine is very good, might look like a toy, but it doesnt act like one
Good luck and great to see the youngsters getting involved in the hobby....gets them out in the fresh air and learning about the outside world instead of just googling it :lol:
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:03 pm :lol:

Glad to hear of another youngster being bitten by the bug, though. Hope you get a machine which furthers the interest :thumbsup:
She hasn't quite got the idea that you can't cover a 30 acre field in a hour yet though :lol:

The local field has produced some good finds, but her first was a button, followed by two bits of lead :thumbdown: Her first coin will follow soon I'm sure :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

My 8yo grandson comes out with me every now and then. Deus with 9”hf coil and that’s just about ok for him. Give him another year and he’ll have no issues with it. His problem is the digging…. It’s a balance of taking down the sensitivity so he’s not digging down too deep and finding enough to maintain his interest. It has been known that ‘Grampy’ has dropped interesting items in an area where he’ll search :D
He’s not committed enough for me to get him his own machine. Football and switch games take priority.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Jamesey1981

From what I've read the nokta macro kids detectors are very good for what they are, they've made them robust and simple enough for kids and they're certainly not toys.

Could also go for a secondhand minelab go find if you're not sure she'll stick with it, they're light and simple enough for kids but if she doesn't stick with it then it could make a half decent spare machine, you can pick up the basic one pretty cheap.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
BuriedByTime&Dust

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:07 am From what I've read the nokta macro kids detectors are very good for what they are, they've made them robust and simple enough for kids and they're certainly not toys.

Could also go for a secondhand minelab go find if you're not sure she'll stick with it, they're light and simple enough for kids but if she doesn't stick with it then it could make a half decent spare machine, you can pick up the basic one pretty cheap.
Good call, I hadn't thought of the Go Find range :thumbsup:

If the Noktas are effective, I think that's probably a good choice. I hope they're sturdy though - she's does have a knack of breaking things, bless her :lol:

The local park has a permit system, so I'll have to renew mine and get one for her. She'll be over the moon with any modern coinage :thumbsup:
Saffron

I looked into this for a friend who wanted to get a detector for her grandchildren last Christmas and from every thing I saw the Nokta Mini and Midi Hoard came out on top.

I have not heard anything for quite a while but back early in the summer I had positive feedback from "granny".

I admit I am not a fan of the colour, but it is very much a proper small lightweight detector rather than a "childs toy" (which many so called childs detectors are).

I used a Racer 2 for several years and also use their pinpointers and have always been very impressed with the Nokta / Makro build quality and reliability (and my kit can get rough treatment).

Evan
BuriedByTime&Dust

Cheers Evan. I'll give LP a shout tomorrow and see whether the mini or midi would be best :thumbsup:
Charles Abbeyville

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:33 pm I took my 8 year old niece to the local field to do some detecting a few weeks ago and now she's crazing my brother to buy her a metal detector :lol:

He's asked me which one he should buy so if you any of you have any recommendations, I'm all ears :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the Nokta Mini and Midi Hoard at the minute, so any user reviews of those would be great.
What about something very simple but very good like the good old laser rapier or the LRPlus?
BuriedByTime&Dust

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:00 pm What about something very simple but very good like the good old laser rapier or the LRPlus?
Solid machines, but I suspect that the size/weight would be too much for her. She struggled with my Deus and that's one of the lightest detectors available.

I had a chat with LP this morning and they said that the Midi Hoard is recommended for ages 8-12 so I reckon that's the one. It will be very interesting to see how it performs. I might have to create another test bed :thumbsup:
Pete E

What about the ML Go Find 66? That gets some very decent reviews as an adult detector, but I am not sure if it could be configured small enough?