Book: "Cleaning Coins & Artifacts" ?

Charles Abbeyville

Ok, while we are on the subject of cleaning coins/artefacts how do you deal with copper/bronzes aside from just remove the soil and keep em dry? I think the answer will be predictable but I will ask it anyway.
TheFenTiger

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 pm Ok, while we are on the subject of cleaning coins/artefacts how do you deal with copper/bronzes aside from just remove the soil and keep em dry? I think the answer will be predictable but I will ask it anyway.
Have a look at the link to the pdf I posted earlier from the PAS site
Dave
alloverover

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 pm Ok, while we are on the subject of cleaning coins/artefacts how do you deal with copper/bronzes aside from just remove the soil and keep em dry? I think the answer will be predictable but I will ask it anyway.
Thats pretty much all I do now, dry mechanical clean and thats it, not because of what anybody says about oils or waxes, just better looking natural :thumbsup:
figgis

Cleaning finds these days largely consists of dunking in rainwater when I get home, a swift brushing to get any hard dirt off, then into the bin when I discover they're all junk :lol:

I know that some say not to use water, but I've never understood that, given the environment the find has been in for many many years. But each to their own and you'll find the method(s) which suit you best :thumbsup:
TheFenTiger

figgis wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:35 am I know that some say not to use water, but I've never understood that, given the environment the find has been in for many many years. But each to their own and you'll find the method(s) which suit you best :thumbsup:
You will notice it on the coins like the George I-III coppers where if you put them in water they seem to go rough and lose definition. I have heard that de-ionised water is supposed to be better as it doesn't have the added chemicals of tap water.
Dave
figgis

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm I have heard that de-ionised water is supposed to be better as it doesn't have the added chemicals of tap water.
I've heard the same, which is why I use rainwater :thumbsup: