Lidl root saw spade.

bob79

Lidl have got these spades in store now, had a look at them, looks alright.
Found it too heavy, most of the weight is in the blade, quoted weight 2.5kg, thought the blade was a bit long as well.
Screenshot_20211019-133331_Samsung Internet.jpg
mattjb

Could always take a grinder to the blade and shorten/reshape it. I’ve been using a long handled magnusson pointed digging spade from b and q for tough ground . Reshaped the end of the blade to make it easier to get through stoney ground.Suprised at how robust it’s been considering the abuse it’s had! 1.9kg so a bit lighter than the Lidl one.
Also been using the magnusson micro spade on freshly ploughed when I don’t need the long handled one and again can’t knock it for the money.
Some of these cheap spades are worth looking at.
bob79

Both spades have used are cheap border spades cut down, one has cracked could do with welding, the older one is probably 23 years old had 2 boot protectors welded on still going strong.
Easylife

My spade is 1.9kg too and about indestructible. But I was just thinking the other day that I could really do with a longer blade for the pasture to better suit my lazy digging technique where Instead of lifting the soil out, I just slide the spade full out against the edge of the hole single handed. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

I'm 6' but for me this spade is too tall for my liking and the business end is too narrow. The weight wouldn't be any issue as I just drag mine around anyway. But it's got me looking for for an ideal candidate now. :thumbsup: Watch this space! :lol:
Pete E

I have been looking to the "perfect" pasture spade for a while now...I have an all stainless steel Evolution spade for hard dry ground, but it's heavy and the saw teeth are a waste of time for most digging tasks..

I think a fairly standard, squared off border spade with good treads is what I am looking for, but I can't find anything quite right. It seems that most gardening spades that do have treads, only have small ones that are bent backwards, which then scrape the sides of the hole as you go deeper...

I also think the spade being stainless is a moot point as such spades typically sold in garden centres ect have cheap Chinese cast blades which are not particularly strong...I think I need to find a traditional carbon steel border spade with a forged blade, and get some decent sized treads welded to it...
Metalurgy

Funnily enough,I’ve been looking for a spade for some time.The three on my radar are the Greenmans old poaching spade,the Kent and Stowe transplanting and Caldwells poaching spade.
I also had my eye on Gary Blackwells spadeand asked where he got it.He replied that he makes them,then heard no more.
I’d be interested to hear other points of view on this .
mattjb

Metalurgy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:51 pm Funnily enough,I’ve been looking for a spade for some time.The three on my radar are the Greenmans old poaching spade,the Kent and Stowe transplanting and Caldwells poaching spade.
I also had my eye on Gary Blackwells spadeand asked where he got it.He replied that he makes them,then heard no more.
Those greenmans ones look well made.
jcmaloney

Burgon and Ball Border spade............... the end. :thumbsup:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Easylife

jcmaloney wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:02 pm Burgon and Ball Border spade............... the end. :thumbsup:
I'd be worse off with that, it's the same size as my current spade except the treads on that one would catch! I guess it would be okay for shallow targets though! :D
Easylife

I was looking for a suitable spade online and bought a very nice hand axe! :? :D
Pete E

Metalurgy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:51 pm Funnily enough,I’ve been looking for a spade for some time.The three on my radar are the Greenmans old poaching spade,the Kent and Stowe transplanting and Caldwells poaching spade.
I googled the Caldwell's spade and they do two that are very similar, and both look like they have decent foot treads...They are listed as having forged heads and look good bits of kit. My only concern is that the listed weight for one of the versions is 2.3kg, which I think is pretty similar to my Evo spade, but I will check to confirm that when I get a minute....
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 pm I googled the Caldwell's spade and they do two that are very similar, and both look like they have decent foot treads...They are listed as having forged heads and look good bits of kit. My only concern is that the listed weight for one of the versions is 2.3kg, which I think is pretty similar to my Evo spade, but I will check to confirm that when I get a minute....
I decided to get the Cauldwell poachers spade but the one with the 15cm straight blade, I think it is 2.1kg.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caldwells-As ... 635-2958-0
Many of the poachers, rabbiting, planting spades can have quite narrow tapering blades with outwards treads, the above being the exception. It should be just the job for me. :thumbsup:
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 pm I decided to get the Cauldwell poachers spade but the one with the 15cm straight blade, I think it is 2.1kg.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caldwells-As ... 635-2958-0
Many of the poachers, rabbiting, planting spades can have quite narrow tapering blades with outwards treads, the above being the exception. It should be just the job for me. :thumbsup:
Look forward to hearing what you think of it, as I am fairly tempted myself....
TheFenTiger

I had a look in Lidl yesterday. They are really heavy and a lot taller than I am used to. But then I use a roughneck mini digger so pretty much anything is going to be bigger and heavier!
Dave