50p

Dave The Slave

One of my favourite comedy catch phrases is that of Farmer Josh Fiddler in Carry on Camping, whose stock answer to all the add ons he charges Sid Boggle is " Pound ".
Well i could not even match that.
After last weeks successful detecting, really looking forward to getting back into that area of the field and expanding the search area outwards.
It was all on, Sunday night, Monday morning the story had changed, BBC Weather had forecast heavy rain just after arrival and for the duration. Don`t mind rain if already there but not if it is imminent or already raining heavy with no chance of clearance. Even did a second weather check via the old statellite and it was a total North South band moving too slowly across the permission. The same band was going to hit my friends permission at the same time and we decided to stay local.
Weather did indeed have very low thick cloud and there was continual drizzle but we had a couple of hours on pasture, type of detecting i have not done before. Finds were sparse only 11 items , roughly the same from my friend. Bits of lead, couple of those Horsey rings we all find and wonder how old they are.
Even the coin in my title a 50p from 1980, large variety which can`t even spend but did bring a smile to my face.
Still good to be out, some detecting is better than no detecting.
Cheers,
Dave.
Saffron

I agree about not wanting to venture out in heavy rain or if its forecast in the near term.

The large 50p coins along with the original large 10p (same size as the florin), large 5p (same size as a shilling) and decimal 1/2p are the most useless / frustrating coins to find in my view .... not old enough to be of interest (although already about 50 years old) and can not be spent like other decimal coins.

Evan
figgis

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:01 pm those Horsey rings we all find and wonder how old they are.
Quite often very old and one of those useless items which for some reason always give me pleasure to find :thumbsup:
Easylife

And a good old drain rod connector for good measure! :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Easylife wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:20 pm And a good old drain rod connector for good measure! :D
Did not think of that Easy. :clapping:
Had a solid 92 signal while digging and was expecting a Pre-Decimal coin, so was surprised with this. Is marked Ashford in black writing, looked it up and came back with Gas testing equipment valves, which did look very similar. Anyway a chunk of Brass for the scrap bucket and a few more pence in the coffers.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.