What does your hammered coin collection look like?

Oxgirl

I recently bought myself a lovely old coin collector’s cabinet so I’ve re-arranged my coin collection. They are now organised chronologically by monarch and date which rather satisfies my organised mind. Before they were in those card and plastic wallets which is really nice and neat, easy to keep with their details, but made handling them very difficult.

Anyway, whilst sorting them I decided to do a table to see what I had. There are a few more with the FLO and I’ve ignored anything not silver or British but I’ve got the bulk.

I was really surprised just how many penny fractions - especially round farthings and half pennies, and how many Henry IIIs I had found. Does this look anything like your collections?

Remember the table expands when you click on it :thumbsup:
0701BB22-3114-40BA-B170-61F372324048.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Emily

Pretty bare. I’ve only found one. 😢
Live long and prospect
alloverover

I honestly have no idea Cath, mine are scattered allover the shop, in draws, boxs, trays, reburied etc etc. Would be very intereseting to organize them oneday but I fear it will never happen .
Jamesey1981

My hammered coin collection looks nothing like that, it looks considerably smaller.

At least I can put numbers in a couple of boxes that are empty on your chart though, that stops me from feeling totally inadequate....
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Oxgirl

Emily wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:26 pm Pretty bare. I’ve only found one. 😢
Now you have a deus though - things will change!
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:52 pm I honestly have no idea Cath, mine are scattered allover the shop, in draws, boxs, trays, reburied etc etc. Would be very intereseting to organize them oneday but I fear it will never happen .
Gawd I’m stressed thinking about the scattered finds you have thrown in drawers etc. I even get palpitations when I see people putting hammered coins in piles to take photos :shock: Not about them getting damaged but that they’ll get mixed up and I’d not know where I found each one or know it’s full details :oops: :lol: To have them not properly labelled I couldn’t cope with :ugeek:

I’m not the tidiest person when it comes to my house but my finds are organised to within a mm of their lives!
mattjb

My collection is also a lot smaller!
Being laid up with a knackered knee I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube vids,particularly the tinner ones over the last couple of days.What struck me apart from the quality and quantity of what him and his dad find was I’m sure he said that they generally find 100+ hammies a year . That is some going!
Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 pm My hammered coin collection looks nothing like that, it looks considerably smaller.

At least I can put numbers in a couple of boxes that are empty on your chart though, that stops me from feeling totally inadequate....
Ohhh which ones? I love filling in the missing monarchs :geek:
Oxgirl

mattjb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:17 pm My collection is also a lot smaller!
Being laid up with a knackered knee I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube vids,particularly the tinner ones over the last couple of days.What struck me apart from the quality and quantity of what him and his dad find was I’m sure he said that they generally find 100+ hammies a year . That is some going!
Tinner is one of my favourite youTubers too! I look forward to the end of every month when his monthly video drops. Their finds are incredible, but they put in the hours so deserve them.
Oxgirl

I didn’t do this chart to make anyone feel inadequate, lots of people on here have many hundreds of hammered coins found over decades so this most certainly isn’t a competition!

I really mean that, I was just interested in the fact most people seem to find mainly pennies. I have been lucky enough to find my favourite things - lots of round farthings and pennies. I don’t think that’s normal but I find them on lots of my permissions, miles apart. I guess I chose a Deus because it is good with small silver and I’m dogged on fields with any promise of finding them. Others will have lots of Roman (as you know I ignore them! :lol: ) or other things. I’m interested in percentages - are you mainly a penny finder or something else?
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:23 pm Tinner is one of my favourite youTubers too! I look forward to the end of every month when his monthly video drops. Their finds are incredible, but they put in the hours so deserve them.
The stuff they find is mind blowing. Also find it amusing the way he gets annoyed with his old man using the squirty bottle and the fact that his deus looks like it’s held together with tape and bits of plastic bag! Doesn’t effect his finds rate though!
Oxgirl

mattjb wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:28 pm The stuff they find is mind blowing. Also find it amusing the way he gets annoyed with his old man using the squirty bottle and the fact that his deus looks like it’s held together with tape and bits of plastic bag! Doesn’t effect his finds rate though!
Still uses version 3 software too! Blooming heck so would I if I was finding what he finds.
He loves his dad though and thankfully replaces his squirty bottle a bit more regularly now :lol:
mattjb

Cath on your table you’ve got William 3rd , I thought they are all milled coins or am I missing something?
Jamesey1981

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:21 pm Ohhh which ones? I love filling in the missing monarchs :geek:
The only "monarch" (although not really) that I can fill in that you can't is a commonwealth, and I do have an Elizabeth 1st groat, other than that if I can put a number in the box you can too, and it's a larger number!

That's an impressive collection and I'm a little jealous, but only a little, I like to see other people find good stuff too, if I was the only one that found anything good it would be a lonely hobby!

I like having some things still to find on my list, if I had found everything then it would take the excitement out of it, I also like to fish, but if I could guarantee I'd catch a specimen on every cast that would get boring pretty quickly.

My collection is mostly pennies or cut farthings, I suppose they must have been the most common currency for the ordinary folk and more likely to be lost by people that worked hard for a living, if you're working in the fields you're much more likely to lose a penny from your pocket than the lord of the manor was to lose a shilling when he was sitting in his big house stuffing himself with roast swan.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Kenleyboy

I havent got a vast collection of hammered coins , over the last four years I have found over 60 odd mostly from one permission and half of those have gone to the Farmer so I have about 30 odd which includes cut halves and quarters . My finds cabinet is a nice antique piece which I restored as it was a bit scruffy and with all good intentions I cut some nice dark green felt to line the draws to posh it up a bit internally . That is about as far as it has got , it is full of what I call "organised chaos " so really it does need sorting out . The odd thing is I can go straight to the very first hammered coin I ever found , you never forget the first one . :thumbsup:
Maybe now Oxgirl has posted this thread it may spur me on to tidy it up and set then out in a more regimented and neat fashion .