Seen at rallies

Saffron

Have you ever noticed the different characters we seem to encounter in this hobby especially at rallies and events? Here's a few you'll be able to relate to.

"The old boy" - The old guy you see on a rally, keeps himself to himself creeps along at snails pace working the land. Always has a few nice finds in his pouch at the end of the day.

"The olympic sprinter" - Takes off round at almost sprinting pace and remarkably always seems to find something.

"The golfer"- There's always a few people you see at a rally that swing their coils so high in a pendulum motion they might aswell be Tiger Woods taking a shot in the rough.

"The moaner" - Unfortunately we always seem to get collared by these. Reckon they've covered 300 acres of land by 11am and end up going home saying "there's nothing on here"

"The dropper" - Have you ever noticed that when you're on a real barron field and no one's finding anything there will always be that one guy who comes over with a nice shiny stater or full gold noble to show you saying "just had this over there" And you know full well it fell out of there pocket lol

"Mr/Mrs determined" - The hard working male or female detectorist that no matter what the weather or the land conditions, keeps at it chipping away at the signals and normally end up with a few nice bits at the end of the day.

"The best friend" - There's always that one person you bump into that as nice as they are want to spend all day telling you their life story, or the time them and their mate Dave had a Roman hoard lol.

"The hammered coin whisperer" - The guy you meet that drops on his belly to ground level and scans the horizon saying " I'm heading over there.....that's where the hammereds are"

"Mr 9 machines" - There's always that one guy that doesn't find anything within the first 100 steps. He then dissappears back to the car and comes back with another machine......and so on lol.

Last but not least.....
" Mr Jammy" - literally walks straight on the field and gets a stater or hoard first signal lol......We all know people like this I'm sure?

Which one are you?

Evan

Mods: not sure wher to put this but as its about the types you see on rallies thought to put it here, but feel free to move if you feel fit.
mattjb

I’ve never been to a rally or any other detecting event,always done my own thing or maybe with one other mate now and again. Would I ever go on one? Not sure really , maybe one day !
Easylife

I'm not on that list. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

I laughed through that list :lol:

You missed the ‘don’t you know who I am?’ brigade - the Youtubers, ‘big on Facebook’ and those that think they are far more important than they are :clapping:

You also get the grumpy misogynistic types who are like the old gits in the village who believe that the hobby should be the sole preserve of those born into it (that most definately does NOT include women :rollinglaughing: ) and criticise everyone else below the age of 75.

But then you also get the really nice ‘old boy’ type. The gentle, lovely seasoned professionals who share their knowledge, entertain with their stories and drop stunning finds in your hand to enjoy a face that lights up when they see what it is and share the pleasure of letting you hold that piece of history too. I love them!

Great post!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Metalurgy

Perhaps Saffron’s post is a good illustration of why many don’t go to rallies,it’s never appealed to myself or those I detect with,however,that said,I’m sure there are many who aren’t fortunate enough to have permissions but it’s an amusing and accurate description.👍
shaggybfc

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 pm I laughed through that list :lol:

You missed the ‘don’t you know who I am?’ brigade - the Youtubers, ‘big on Facebook’ and those that think they are far more important than they are :clapping:
Holzhammer and TerraBritannia - I'm sure that OG doesn't put you into this category :lol: :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
shaggybfc

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 pm I laughed through that list :lol:

At the RCM, there were plenty of these celebrities - total A-holes. I may be a fuddy-duddy, but I dislike this group of people with a passion. At the RCM, there was one area that returned some lovely items - Saxon, Roman, and once the word got out, the decended on it with their entourage liek a swarm of locus. Please don't get me wrong, there are some good Youtubers, and I enjoy their content - Alex and Andy for instance, but the rest are just too 'shouty' for my liking.
jcmaloney

The "Gridder" (thats me) finds something - doesn`t shout about it then procedes to stick to a 20 yard square for the day. Returns with a tin full of keepers.

The "Done It" - 120 acres of land, done it in 3 hours and declares it "done".

The "Anymore?" - 120 acres of land - 30 club members - shortly behind the "Done It" asking "Anymore land?"

The "Always Late"........ because the Dig Organiser just loves sitting there waiting for them to turn up when they feel like it.

I could go on..................................... :D
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Pete E

Metalurgy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 am Perhaps Saffron’s post is a good illustration of why many don’t go to rallies,it’s never appealed to myself or those I detect with,however,that said,I’m sure there are many who aren’t fortunate enough to have permissions but it’s an amusing and accurate description.👍
I be not been on any really large events/ rallies, just out with my local Club and a couple of pay-to-dig groups off Facebook....One of the group's seemed to attract a very "laddish" bunch with a minority being quite brash and loud...i can't say they exactly spoiled anything for me, but it wasn't the day out I particularly wanted....

The other FB group seems to attract a different group and feels much more like the more traditional Club I am in...Events are not huge with on average between 30 to 50 people attending. Both are well run, with people "strongly encouraged" to report any relevent finds to the FLOs concerned..

A couple of years back someone on the Club dig found a hoard of a few hundred Roman coins, and feed back the Club received was the whole recovery was handled text book, with the land owner, FLO being involved from the get go, and appointed archaeologists being assigned to undertake the full recovery over the course of the next few days..

Although I have my own permissions, my Club and the FB group give me access to different grounds, although it's sometimes a bit bitter sweet visiting a nice bit of ground but knowing you"ll only get one crack at it....
Jamesey1981

I'm Mr determined as far as my rubbish ankles allow, but I do usually have a different machine after lunch.....
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
shaggybfc

Just recently I've been Mr. Jammy. Had a few Hammered coins where others have a bag full of rubbish :D
Pete E

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 am Just recently I've been Mr. Jammy. Had a few Hammered coins where others have a bag full of rubbish :D
Seems I have been in the "others" camp of late! :cry:
Dave The Slave

Great thread, Evan.
Recognise most of these types, which you will find in Society and workplaces, probably why i`m not very sociable.
Have always referred to myself being like a Satellite in my own orbit, doing my own thing, getting on with it quietly but also seeing the bigger picture. Have to admit, do not like detecting near roads, unless there is a hedge higher than myself, or near buildings, which once again mirrors my life of, not liking to draw attention to myself.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
bob79

The "Always Late"........ because the Dig Organiser just loves sitting there waiting for them to turn up when they feel like it.

I could go on..................................... :D
[/quote]

We know an always late don't we Cath, not to worry your secret is safe with me, promise not to tell a soul🤭🤣
TheFenTiger

I have also seen the laddish types, very loud, boasting of their exploits both on and off the rally field.

There are also the wideboys going around buying finds off people for a fraction of their value so they can sell them on.
Dave