Seen at rallies

the-roman

I am lucky enough to have plenty of my own permissions to search and detect with a couple of mates most weekends. I do enjoy the odd rally though. I did this years RCM rally and yes I did see and hear the youtubers but chose to ignore them. The reasons I enjoy the odd rally is it's a weekend away with mates and a good way to catch up with other friends I've met over the years. I'm not bothered if I don't find much, but obviously that would be nice. It's also about going to areas that I would never get the chance to get to. But I do have a limit on expenses. I think £50-£60 for a weekend camping and detecting is fair, and £20 max for a days detecting is fair. anything over than and I ain't interested, oh, and I never pay to be a 'member' as that money goes into peoples pockets. I prefer to support the charity events, but will attend the odd non charitable depending on area. I also notice with certain groups that their membership fees are going up as are dig fees.
so for me £25 and £30 for a days detecting is totally out and just too much. after all, you are only getting to detect fields and take away the scrap, plus an odd goody if your lucky. you don't get a free cuppa and a butty or any other extras.
I will put my tin hat on now and await the bombardment :lol: :thumbsup:
figgis

I've only ever done two rallies plus a couple of club digs I was kindly invited to attend. The rallies were a real eye opener and had me shaking my head in bemusement a few times. Quick briefing then it was like Whacky Races :lol:

I would add one type to Evan's list - The Watcher. The Watcher stands still for five minutes after the starting gun goes off to see where everyone is speeding off to and then slopes off in the opposite direction. I am that person ;)
the-roman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm I will put my tin hat on now and await the bombardment :lol: :thumbsup:
No incoming from me, chap. In fact, budge up the trench a bit... :D
Oxgirl

bob79 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:08 pm The "Always Late"........ because the Dig Organiser just loves sitting there waiting for them to turn up when they feel like it.

I could go on..................................... :D
We know an always late don't we Cath, not to worry your secret is safe with me, promise not to tell a soul🤭🤣
[/quote]

True - not on purpose but I’m just rubbish getting up in the morning :oops:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Oxgirl

the-roman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm
Not from me either. But then I’m lucky enough to have my own permissions. I don’t like the big events at all.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:56 pm I don’t like the big events at all.
Nor do I since I stopped to see you were ok to get off the field at the inaugural RCM - you were fine but I got stuck and had to be towed off :thumbdown: :D
Saffron

the-roman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 pm <cut>

so for me £25 and £30 for a days detecting is totally out and just too much. after all, you are only getting to detect fields and take away the scrap, plus an odd goody if your lucky. you don't get a free cuppa and a butty or any other extras.
The Anton Rally is a good example of where it costs less than this and ALL the money goes to the charity

But there is more

You get a free cuppa (tea or coffee) when ever you want :clapping: :clapping: :Party: :Party:

Evan
shaggybfc

Saffron wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 pm "Mr 9 machines" - There's always that one guy that doesn't find anything within the first 100 steps. He then dissappears back to the car and comes back with another machine......and so on lol.
We have one of these in our club...in fact, he is Mr Every machine - he's had every machine ever made, and still finds absolutley nothing :D He probably holds a 'Platinum' loyalty card for Regtons and I'm sure he'll already be on the waiting list for the new Deus.
Mr. H, sorry mate,,,,, this is definately you :lol: :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

figgis wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:14 pm The Watcher stands still for five minutes after the starting gun goes off to see where everyone is speeding off to and then slopes off in the opposite direction. I am that person ;)
Me too, but I will also regularly stop and look across the field watching others for amusement - the golfer is my favourite! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
the-roman

two of my favourites are the ones who have the search head on back to front then there's the other who has the search head at such an angle, pointing upwards, that I wonder how they manage to get a signal at all :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 am Holzhammer and TerraBritannia - I'm sure that OG doesn't put you into this category :lol: :lol:
Ha! I know what she's talkin' 'bout though!!! Not really a rallier myself though nothing against them... I'm just a bit of a lone detectorist like many of you... I like being by myself with the hound and the overall peace of it... when I'm not shouting at my camera!!!
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:11 pm Ha! I know what she's talkin' 'bout though!!! Not really a rallier myself though nothing against them... I'm just a bit of a lone detectorist like many of you... I like being by myself with the hound and the overall peace of it... when I'm not shouting at my camera!!!
Never mind you’ll soon get used to rallies after the detecting hub weekender that’s being arranged on your favourite permission!
HolzHammer

mattjb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:46 pm Never mind you’ll soon get used to rallies after the detecting hub weekender that’s being arranged on your favourite permission!
😂
Beckybue

This thread made me laugh - some spot-on descriptions here 😂.

My two pennies worth:

The noisy ones: the spade draggers who clank and scrap their way across bumpy and flinty fields, heralding their arrival wherever they go; and the non-headphone wearing ones who, no matter how hard I try to stay away from, unintentionally pursue me, raising my blood pressure and irritation levels.

The ‘it’s too hot for a t-shirt’ brigade: men (both young and old) who at the first sign of sunshine, rip off their tops and treat everyone to their tats, beer bellies and builder’s bums without a care in the world, turning puce and beetroot red as the day progresses, and then moaning about how sunburnt they are at the end of it.

The newbies: smiley and lovely, make a massive effort with everyone and, if asked what they’ve found, say “oh not much,” and proceed to scrabble in their finds pouch and pull out something amazing that they thought was scrap.

I’m the lone wolf type who sometimes shamelessly ignores people I know on the field if they’re ‘talkers’, because it eats into my precious metal detecting time!
Kenleyboy

I have never attended any rallies other than a "forum " rally a few years ago and to be fair I did enjoy the weekend and meet up with some members , names to faces and all that . Club digs I enjoy and again , more of a social gathering and catch up time .
We did have a pendulum swinger on one dig who did look ultra professional with all the latest shiny new gear and bits and bobs hanging off him , looked like a walking chandelier . He took offence when approached in a very tentative and polite way so we left him to swing high and low all day , he didnt find anything and we never saw him again .
We have the loud and brash , the quiet studious types and one old gent who breezed past and was asked if he had any luck to which he replied and a rather posh accent " foof all "! or words to that effect . Made the two elderly ladies serving tea gasp in horror .
All in all a mixed bunch of various characters which makes a fun day :thumbsup:
Easylife

How about the not quite so newbie who has eventually found their first ever coin, a Vicky penny, and in the evening takes great pride in over enthusiastically showing and telling everyone all about it! :?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.