What type of oyster shell?

coal digger

Hi guys,managed a quick flick around for an hour before the local vampires came out. Nothing much doing but with the heavy rain what I think an oyster shell presented itself. I'm 90 miles away from any sea so maybe a fresh water type or a Roman general dropped it. Any help appreciated,cd👍
Attachments
IMG_6391.JPG
IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6389.JPG
Divide and Conquer
figgis

Marcus Vettius Bolanus teatime oyster, just after 7 o'clock ;) ;)

Dunno, but it looks a bit sort of newish and fresh to have much age to it? But what do I know? I'm a prawn man, me :thumbsup:
coal digger

figgis wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 pm Marcus Vettius Bolanus teatime oyster, just after 7 o'clock ;) ;)

Dunno, but it looks a bit sort of newish and fresh to have much age to it? But what do I know? I'm a prawn man, me :thumbsup:
😂That's the chap,made his way from gaul with a bag full.

Doubt it's modern mate cos the locals only chew on broken glass as a treat round here😁
Divide and Conquer
Easylife

Oyster shell? Perhaps a dolls head with that face on it? :lol:
IMG_20211022_230608.jpg
IMG_20211022_230608.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 216 times
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Steve_JT

At one time it was a poor mans food, now a delicacy, on a recent archeological roman site dig I was on on a few oyster shells came up, some in good condition like yours
So possible as early as roman, and later too, if your finding Roman stuff nearby it’s a strong contender

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

There’s loads of fossilised ones near me, but it seems there would have been a tropical lake back a few million years ago. They don’t look like yours though! Didn’t they farm them in fish ponds back in the Roman times?
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
coal digger

Easylife wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 pm Oyster shell? Perhaps a dolls head with that face on it? :lol:
IMG_20211022_230608.jpg
😁Maybe after some mind altering substances Easy yea that's her😅
Divide and Conquer
coal digger

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:12 pm At one time it was a poor mans food, now a delicacy, on a recent archeological roman site dig I was on on a few oyster shells came up, some in good condition like yours
So possible as early as roman, and later too, if your finding Roman stuff nearby it’s a strong contender

Regards Steve
Cheers Steve,I did find a fibula a few meters away and me being the eternal optimist I attribute it to a Roman Scooby snack 🙄
Divide and Conquer
coal digger

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:20 pm There’s loads of fossilised ones near me, but it seems there would have been a tropical lake back a few million years ago. They don’t look like yours though! Didn’t they farm them in fish ponds back in the Roman times?
I've been looking at the fossilised ones Cath and as you say they don't resemble mine. Knowing the roman ingenuity I'm sure they did farm them.
Divide and Conquer
JohnDeus

I know this one m8 its the sort that had an Oyster in it :)
Jamesey1981

Your shell is a native oyster.

We overfished the native oyster and introduced the Portuguese oyster, these are the ones that are commonly eaten but the natives have recovered pretty well now.

Oyster shells have been found all over, they keep while they are alive and in their shells and have been eaten for literally millennia.

As Steve JT mentioned, oysters used to be a poor man's food and would have been common in pubs in dickensian London, another poor man's food that's now expensive is lobster, in the 18th century in New England people complained about the amount of lobster they were forced to eat.

Oysters were a good source of protein that was easily collected on the coast and they could keep for a few days without refrigeration.

Here's an 18th century recipe including oysters, I'm a former chef and obviously interested in history otherwise I probably wouldn't be a detectorist, so food history also interests me, and this youtube channel is fantastic.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Oxgirl

Been reading up about the Roman diet - the snail farming is interesting :sick: read more here

On your shell it could be anything from Roman to modern. They were eaten by all classes, not just the rich, in the 18-19th century. Working out how old yours is will be impossible visually, unless it was a pacific type (introduced in the 1960s), which it isn’t! Good find though and enjoyed the research! If you want to know more about UK oyster eating habits this article is an interesting read.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking