Great expectations – But sometimes I do like to push my luck!

Easylife

I know that saying this is maybe likely tempting some kind of fabled doomed fate for me but I am really not at all superstitious so really I just don't care at all. Well today I plan to search that new small 2 acre field in which I found that nice buckle and have a good feeling that I will hopefully find silver if not gold also, or is that just a way too bold a thing to say? But I guess that we will find out soon enough whether that is just wishful thinking or not?
So far I've only spent less than ½ hr in there and just walked across it once getting no signals at all until the far edge when a nice buckle showed and on my return around the edge I only found a single pre-decimal penny. But as said I still have a strong gut feeling about this small field so will grid it in one or two sessions out of interest as a personal project. Just imagine how mundane it will be if there are only about six targets on it in total, like just one an hour maybe? :lol: Gee, even if there is I'm just gonna stick it out for the sheer disbelief and hell of it, but am sure that will not quite be the actual case. :Thinking: Well provided that it hasn't previously been detected, and I have no reason at all to think that it has, it should be quite enjoyable to do. There is a current 1900's foot path that runs along one side of it and I did walk a single line of that with no targets at all apart from a single tombac button right at the very end. :? So maybe not looking so good? But further research shows that the earlier 1700's footpath cuts right through the middle of it and I will really be quite surprised if that is not where the better finds are either side of due to this fields location close to the heart of the village. But of course the subsequent ploughing may have spread them a little. But that nice shoe buckle was found right on the very far side well away from the footpath so maybe that was used as an unofficial shortcut in those days, just as as they generally are today really, so that area needs quite a good looking at too. This kind of thing is really quite right up my street, quiet ground with very few targets so the slightest repeatable response at all grabs your curiosity no matter how minimal. With the Nox a simple iron test is to just flick it into 10khz and if the target ID jumps to constant high 20's then it is almost certainly just that. But if it is all over the place then it is just that the single frequency is not able to provide any ID at all of the deeper target so it just needs to be dug as it is for sure a pretty deep one and normally non-ferrous. But I guess that many Noxers will still just walk away from many of those types of targets out of ignorance as they do sound really crap and are understandably very easily dismissed, but if it doesn't sound like iron then just dig the bleeder and be surprised! I take no prisoners at all unless I'm weary and just can't be bothered!
So, what have I just committed to? What if it doesn't deliver? Well what will be will be as was meant to be, and that is just it! But hey, I'm still really feeling particularly confident even though the odds are against me and boy how I am going to enjoy this one with having such a positive vibe for it - like quietly confident, but yet into the unknown at the same time? :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: Well of course I may regret saying this before the actual event but inspired by the gut! So let's just see if I was right or wrong? Will I really be doing the walk of shame of the morrow? Well I hope not, but it just is what it is and I am certainly no psychic! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

Good luck EZ. Remember when they drew up these maps, the accuracy wasn't good. The current fields I'm on have some old foot paths, and the finds so far show the paths to be a good 30 metres off.
I have a good feeling for you today as well, the 6 targets will be mind blowing - gold and silver- so much so, you'll have to change your name to Mr. Whittington :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

Some fields have that weird vibe. That vibe gives confidence and confidence improves your find rate. I therefore think you may very well find something good on that little field but I’m thinking a 17th century hoard buried along the tree line :D

Good luck Ian :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

However Ian's day goes, it can't be worse than the couple of hours I'll never get back from that awful field . :thumbdown:

Hey ho, as we say in carpetmaking.
Ladybird66

I’ve had fields like that and for good reason felt confident that there must be something to find of significance only to to disappointed. How can there be so many good reasons to find something when you don’t. It’s beyond me.
Maybe it’s because some of us have this bad habit of putting two & two together and coming up with six which equals ,,,,zilch.
One in particular keeps haunting me and I’m determined to concentrate on it when conditions are right (if I can still walk that far)

Can’t wait to see the next report EL hope you’ve got some good news and at least one interesting find :thumbsup:
Easylife

I went back on the field and gridded about half of it (1 acre) which took 4 hours. I started at the footpath side and worked in line by line and found a good spread of coins and very little trash. The oldest identifiable coin was a George II, an unmissable 32 TID was a cartwheel penny, and was pleased to see a silver 1912 sixpence. So there was silver there but I had been hoping for much older. Very little showed from the older footpath area. A surface find was a recently lost vape unit so I'll call the farmer in case it is his. A couple of toys, a tractor and a 1960's 'Rustler gem' cap gun. I wonder what the other acre will bring? :Thinking:
Attachments
P1080445.JPG
P1080446.JPG
Blackadder43

You said silver and low and behold you found silver, nice one...

Oh a vape unit...didnt TerraEnglandia lose a vape unit recently? :lol:
Oxgirl

Not bad finds at all :thumbsup:

Did you do the left hand tree line properly yet? Do it carefully please, that hoard will be deep ;)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:56 pm Did you do the left hand tree line properly yet? Do it carefully please, that hoard will be deep ;)
That hoard will stay deep because there's a wide border of super dense wilderness protecting it! :shock: :lol:
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 pm Oh a vape unit...didnt TerraEnglandia lose a vape unit recently? :lol:
Ah, poaching was he? And I have the evidence. Get orf my land!!! :lol: :lol: