How long to retrieve a target?

Easylife

I guess everyone has their very own target recovery procedure maybe like the many different comical characters seen on a rally even? :Thinking:
Me, a quick X'ing, dig a plug and the target is out in about 20 secs and onto the next, maybe like most? Though I just don't get the ones who always spend ages analyzing a target that they are just going to dig out anyway, even if just out of curiosity. And then spending about 10 minutes hunting about for it in the soil before maybe calling you over to scan it, saying 'I had this really good signal and it's completely disappeared!' (In your choice of voice! :lol: ) - so you just pick it out straight away and hand it to them to see their dumbfounded confused look. But I'm not talking about newbies here, this was a well seasoned detectorist! And even recently on a dig I saw many making quite a meal out of finding the target, standing back and taking several new approaches at it, but just what is that all about? :shock:
So this just got me thinking that there must be those who actually have their detectors set up something like right and then some that just hope for the best with whatever settings but just don't really know how they work? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

I don't think I have ever failed to recover a target but some take longer that others...With me, the Recovery tends to fall into one of three scenarios:

A) Sometimes (most times?) I find the target ok,

B) Sometimes I "miss" and it's in the side wall but I soon find it, so no real harm done.

C) Lastly there are those times when things go to rat poo and the target "disappears" or for some reason my pinpointing is well off the mark and I have to dig a second hole..

The latter does not happen very often, and when it does, I think it's down to me being tired and a little careless...

When I first started, a few times I ended up asking a friend to pinpoint or otherwise help me find a target, it was just part of the learning curve...I can't remember the last time I had to do that, but even now I will sometimes ask somebody's opinion of a target before I dig...
shaggybfc

Pretty much the same as Pete, 90% of the time out within 20 seconds then their is the odd target that completely fools you. Not often, but it leaves you wondering just how the hell you missed it by so far. With the 9" round coil, I never miss a target.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:58 am With the 9" round coil, I never miss a target.
Apart from the deep ones that you don't know about! :lol:
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:42 am B) Sometimes I "miss" and it's in the side wall but I soon find it, so no real harm done.
Same with the 15" coil which is a bit offset to the right on deeper targets.
figgis

This was one of the things that bemused me at the rally I attended, but I suppose if you've gone haring off at a jog, swinging like you're swatting flies then you're going to make the most of any signals you get :lol: Of course you're going to give more than the usual amount of time to an iffy signal while you make up your mind (in my case about another two seconds) but to stand there for ages wafting about from different directions seems a waste of time.

Like everyone, my pinpointing skills vary and depend on various factors including soil conditions, concentration levels and gin consumption. Sometimes the target is hiding in the sidewall sniggering at you which is why it's good practice to run your pinpointer around it when the plug's out. Other times, usually in dry, fluffy conditions, a target disappears completely and it turns out you've flicked it away with your spade while digging. In wet conditions the thing can be hitching a ride in the mud stuck to your spade or boots.

I'm never in a rush to retrieve a target but by the same token I don't like to waste time on it.
shaggybfc

Easylife wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:27 am Apart from the deep ones that you don't know about! :lol:
That's true, but you don't use the white coils for deep targets, you use them for small targets, that are missed by the nox users who like to find iron buried at 18"+ ;)
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Steve_JT

Quick X swing over, plug out, if in the plug handfuls over the coil.
If not in the plug dig more or get the loose soil at the bottom, odd times you have something in the sidewall so that’s when the pointer and trowel comes out

Only the other day I had lost a good target, after eliminating every thing else, it was stuck to my shoe sole where I squashed the clod flat

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Steve_JT wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 am
Only the other day I had lost a good target, after eliminating every thing else, it was stuck to my shoe sole where I squashed the clod flat

Regards Steve
Never had that one :shock: The back of the spade one has thrown me a couple of times.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:07 am Never had that one :shock: The back of the spade one has thrown me a couple of times.
It was driving me bananas, checked the spade, swept where the spade was, what the heck, then thought Is it on my sole
Sure enough, it waS

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
figgis

Steve_JT wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:00 am Only the other day I had lost a good target, after eliminating every thing else, it was stuck to my shoe sole where I squashed the clod flat
+1 :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Not one for over analysing a target.
Use a lot of discrimination below 60 on the 400i is out, due to time and travel constraints.
Hearing a signal of which there is only one tone as iron is turned off due to earache, Use the inbuilt PP to see where signal is strongest and loudest and normally that`s where the target is. Occasionally can`t find a target and last week was fooled by white lead thinking it was stone.
If i get a chunk of rust and comes out quickly, often say " Quick recovery " time being of the essence..
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Metalurgy

2 minutes 😂
Jamesey1981

There's someone in my club that spends so long checking and rechecking a target to decide whether he wants to dig it that he could have dug it, filled the hole and poured a cup of tea in the same time.

Personally I check it from a couple of directions, then either walk away or pinpoint it and dig it up.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/