Not Aussie gold!

Easylife

When I was gold prospecting in Aussie with my Minelab GPX5000 we were mostly alone in quite remote places. But once we were camped up for a couple of weeks with some other friendly prospectors who had already done the area but were cool for me to still have a go. So I did and was surprised at the amount of gold that they had missed, lots of just completely unmissable stuff! But I later found out that they were only using standard factory settings, which are kind of detuned! In fact one of them called me over as he had lost a target in a spoil heap. I scanned it with mine and pointed out three clear targets, 2 were iron but one was gold. Then I had to explain why my detector could find them but his same detector could not and tell him what adjustments to make. So I guess that there are a lot of newbies out there in Aussie not finding much gold? :? :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Like watching that programme, are the flies and the heat as bad as they look.
Quite fancy trying over there but imagine the targets of Gold would be vary scarce, also looks like a place you could get murdered.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 pm Quite fancy trying over there but imagine the targets of Gold would be vary scarce, also looks like a place you could get murdered.
Dave.
You can go on organised prospecting tours which include the hire of a suitable detector, although I doubt they would be cheap. From what I gather, if you intend to go it alone, the permit side of things can be a bit complex and it varies depending where you are and what type of land it is...

With regards to safety, while undoubtedly there are some dodgy characters in the outback, the unbelievable heat coupled with the vastness/remoteness of the terrain would be what would really worry me..Oh, and the snakes as well; definately the snakes!
Emily

Pete E wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm You can go on organised prospecting tours which include the hire of a suitable detector, although I doubt they would be cheap. From what I gather, if you intend to go it alone, the permit side of things can be a bit complex and it varies depending where you are and what type of land it is...

With regards to safety, while undoubtedly there are some dodgy characters in the outback, the unbelievable heat coupled with the vastness/remoteness of the terrain would be what would really worry me..Oh, and the snakes as well; definately the snakes!
Don’t forget the spiders too. They’re always after a bit of human flesh. Haha. 😂
Live long and prospect
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 pm Like watching that programme, are the flies and the heat as bad as they look.
Quite fancy trying over there but imagine the targets of Gold would be vary scarce, also looks like a place you could get murdered.
Dave.
Aussie winter (our summer) is the time to go, it is pretty hot though but not like the 50c + as it gets in their summer. How bad the flies are varies from year to year. There is no point in going to the well known places anymore, need to go further out to get it. Just like detecting here, the more time you put in the better the result. The main thing is to try to find a virgin patch for best results. There are cases of people getting murdered and going missing out there. In 2001 we had travelled up the middle in our campervan just a week before Peter Falconio was murdered along that same road. Another case which remains a mystery is https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-27/ ... ch/6425176 , it's very strange if you read up on the full details. Many Aussie prospectors have a gun in their car. We were once awoken in a remote spot by gunshots right outside, but it was only someone hunting the wild goats to eat. It's safe enough really though.
But quite a few people do get lost out there every year, a friend of mine did. He parked his car in the bush and had a good few hours prospecting by wandering anywhere, only later he realized that his GPS unit hadn't saved the car's location for him to find his way back to it. He walked all through the night hoping to find a road and eventually did around 9am where he waved down a road train. Some others are not so lucky and die of dehydration.
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm You can go on organised prospecting tours which include the hire of a suitable detector, although I doubt they would be cheap. From what I gather, if you intend to go it alone, the permit side of things can be a bit complex and it varies depending where you are and what type of land it is...
On the prospecting tours you still need your own vehicle and camper. Depending on which state you need to buy a Miners permit, in WA it was a fiver for life. Just like here you can't just go on any land, though some do, but it is easy to fill in a form for permission which I think lasts for 3 months. Exploration land is usually okay but not where there is active mining. Some mining companies will allow you on some of their land by a signed agreement for a percentage of gold over a certain amount. The live status of leases and up to date maps of them are available online for free. It just takes a little research to find a historically productive gold area. :thumbsup:
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 pm Oh, and the snakes as well; definately the snakes!
I saw more snakes when camped at the coast than inland where I saw a fair few crossing the road, but none at all whilst detecting. You're more likely to see a kangaroo, emu or wild goat! :D
Easylife

Emily wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:25 pm Don’t forget the spiders too. They’re always after a bit of human flesh. Haha. 😂
It's not unusual to see redback spiders in public toilets over there. Always check under the seat first! :? :D
shaggybfc

I liked the early series of the Aussie Gold Hunters - I liked Kelly and Henri - She'd get uber excited over the smallest nugget. The later series are bit too 'staged' but I still watch them. I think I'd quite easily catch gold fever if I was there doing that.
So EZ, just how much gold did you find.... really ;)
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:21 pm So EZ, just how much gold did you find.... really ;)
Over 500 nuggets, mostly very small, and some specimens too. There's 7oz in top pic, it covered the cost of the brand new GPX5000 twice over, then I sold the detector for almost what I bought it new for. :D :thumbsup:
120827 (3).JPG
1.JPG
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:35 pm Over 500 nuggets, mostly very small, and some specimens too. There's 7oz in top pic, it covered the cost of the brand new GPX5000 twice over, then I sold the detector for almost what I bought it new for. :D :thumbsup:
120827 (3).JPG
1.JPG
cor! And quite an adventure I imagine....
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 am cor! And quite an adventure I imagine....
Indeed it was during the 2 year mix of prospecting, fishing and just chilling out in nice locations, so a very easylife! :D
Then we went on to travel SE Asia by motorbike for 5 months for the cultural experience, that was a great adventure too.
I made travel movies of our time each country, a tedious task with hundreds of clips over 2 1/2 years but great end results of our memories. :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

The characters have changed but still enjoy the show and have been into Gold Rush, Gold Divers since they started.
Machines are working in extreme conditions and they are always breaking down etc, just the same in any manufacturing process.
I think those using the detectors are getting more enjoyment, lower overheads but far smaller chance of finding anything.
If anything was that simple we would all do it.
Would like nothing better than to take the Henry hoover to the baring sea and suck up the gold. Used to imagine that when i was cleaning out a binding machine on downtime, that machine was spotless, dust caused so many breakdowns, even manufactured my own attachment to get into the tiniest crevice.
We all have dreams of no debt, being able to retire and do the things we want to do. So good luck to all those in the gold hunting programmes.
Dave.
Mancaveman

I too like the programme. But I'm gonna start calling all those tiny bits of lead I find "nuggets" from now on. I mean, come on. They are minute bits of gold not large bits. Still good to watch though.
Pete E

Never really got into any of these Gold shows...Will watch snippets if they have to be showing, detecting, panning or some other small scale approach, but once they start using earth movers and dozers ect I loose interest quickly..