Back to the field Roman and other bits this time.

Emily

4th time out to this field.

So I was contacted by the farmer who told me that he was planting up this coming week, so I immediately grabbed my gear and headed out for a session. Husband was out for the day for his friends stag do, so I had a solid 5 hours out there.

Because of the range of stuff I’ve been finding, I’ve been trying my very best to go in in straight lines up and down, (every so often I have to go back a bit and rejoin my line as I’ve drifted. 🤦‍♀️) going very slowly and carefully. I’m sure I’ve still missed bits, but it makes me feel like I’m being thorough.

I think the spear heads partifacts were a fluke myself, but my last visit threw up quite a few medieval bits.

This time, I found big chunks of bronze. I’m finding it every time I go out. Could there have been a metal working hut on the land or something??

I’ve also come across various bits that are as heavy and dense as the bronze but are grey in colour instead of green. I’ve read that there’s such a thing as ‘white bronze’ (as they are silver underneath the tarnish not the traditional honey colour of bronze) but have no way of testing if it is that or potentially big blobs of silver. What do you think?? Any thoughts?? Does anyone knows anything about white bronze??

A good amount of lead came up too. I have a piece that has a distinct pattern on the surface. Does lead usually have some sort of surface pattern??

A good selection of buttons came up as well as 2 very worn and unreadable coins and a selection of odd items and on my last hole, a Roman!! Unlike ‘some moderators 😂’ I love romans, so was excited to see it.

I’d love ID’s on anything can can give me. ☺️
Attachments
Odd bits.
Odd bits.
8C131EC1-10DD-4855-9C54-34C6AA64AA7C.jpeg
Roman
Roman
White bronze??
White bronze??
Buttons
Buttons
Bronze
Bronze
Live long and prospect
figgis

Great set of finds :thumbsup:

Your Roman's Constantine II and I'll have to look at the rest later as me dinner's ready :lol:
Steve_JT

The bronze slag is worth keeping and showing the FLO if found near to the spear heads. It’s a good technique to go up an down in lines as you are doing, be worth doing the field or hot spots 90 degrees to what you have already done, you’ll be surprised what you find missed by your first pass

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Allectus

Modern drawer handle(top left). :thumbdown: The mount looks early. ;)
Emily

Allectus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:00 pm Modern drawer handle(top left). :thumbdown: The mount looks early. ;)
I thought it was modern. Haha.

Is the mount the thing on the top right??
Live long and prospect
Emily

Steve_JT wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:54 pm The bronze slag is worth keeping and showing the FLO if found near to the spear heads. It’s a good technique to go up an down in lines as you are doing, be worth doing the field or hot spots 90 degrees to what you have already done, you’ll be surprised what you find missed by your first pass

Regards Steve
I’ve been keeping all of it. Granted I have found lead and thought it was bronze before I cleaned it, but it’s everywhere!! Look at this map of bronze finds from the last 2 visits.
Attachments
95AB46D2-416D-4304-ADD4-25D72F8964E9.jpeg
Live long and prospect
Emily

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:46 pm Great set of finds :thumbsup:

Your Roman's Constantine II and I'll have to look at the rest later as me dinner's ready :lol:
Thanks for the ID!! I wonder if there’s more out there. Currently it’s the only coin I’ve had that’s readable. Is it bronze or silver do you think??
We had bacon with scrambled eggs on toast and a freshly made crumble for dessert. ☺️🤤
Live long and prospect
figgis

Emily wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm Is it bronze or silver do you think??
Looks bronze, but a silver foil test would confirm or deny
Emily wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:14 pm I thought it was modern. Haha.

Is the mount the thing on the top right??
I think it's bottom right, first image. Certainly looks to have some decent age to it
HolzHammer

Wow looks like you had a very satisfying day! Your husband should go on more stag dos!
Emily

HolzHammer wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:59 pm Wow looks like you had a very satisfying day! Your husband should go on more stag dos!
It’s like this every time I go. ☺️ It’s officially my favourite permission.
Live long and prospect
JohnDeus

Decent finds :thumbsup: does you farmer not allow you to detect on the planted wheat ? the one i was on today was wheat and fortunately he told me to carry on with the fields as long as i can swing my coil :thumbsup: How on earth do you walk in straight lines i never seem to manage even without any drink :lol:
Easylife

Where there is one Roman there will likely be more. The chain links are from a horse curb chain. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Emily

JohnDeus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm Decent finds :thumbsup: does you farmer not allow you to detect on the planted wheat ? the one i was on today was wheat and fortunately he told me to carry on with the fields as long as i can swing my coil :thumbsup: How on earth do you walk in straight lines i never seem to manage even without any drink :lol:
No, he prefers me not to. I get it. Each hole could be lost crop.

For me it takes real concentration. Haha. I pick a line (a plough line for example) and follow it and keep looking behind me to make sure I’m not drifting. I also put little stone markers where I start and finish so I know that I’m spacing myself correctly. ☺️
Live long and prospect
Emily

Easylife wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:31 am Where there is one Roman there will likely be more. The chain links are from a horse curb chain. :thumbsup:
I think that was said about the spearheads too and I’m just getting further away from them. 🤦‍♀️😂
Live long and prospect
Emily

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:53 pm Looks bronze, but a silver foil test would confirm or deny
I think it's bottom right, first image. Certainly looks to have some decent age to it
I don’t have any tin foil. 🤦‍♀️😂

Sorry, that’s what I meant. Haha. I might do a specific post about a few things to see if I can get ID’s. There’s an odd small thing in the first image (Next to the modern drawer handle) that I can’t work out.
Live long and prospect