Couple of tinies from today...!

HolzHammer

Evening All,

Like figgis I had a lovely morning in the sun tramping round a very well trod field with me trusty hound... I've been round it for years so didn't expect to find much though it had been turned over so "hey ho" I thought, why not give it a go I haven't been on it in a while...

After a couple of hours (a little casket key and a chewie ( a very dented musket ball looks like teeth marks!) being the only things of note I felt that was enough and with a great sense of bonhomie headed home for lunch when this happened - well first the gold and then the silver about 3 mins apart !) Its either karma or satanic soul-selling I just don't know which... I like to think the former!

I've had a quick look at me ABC ( Ancient British Coins) which, though usually excellent, has not been a help so far though it MUST be there - they all are... and I'Soonm not sure on the Short Cross cut quarter either though its in rather good nick.

Found in Herts so prob Catuevallauni or Trinovantes but standing to be corrected on the gold...

Many thanks in advance for any help.
All the B
Alexander
Attachments
AVW_5603.jpeg
AVW_5605.jpeg
Allectus

Trinovantes/Catuvellauni 'Whaddon wings'

Well done! :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Allectus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm Trinovantes/Catuvellauni 'Whaddon wings'

Well done! :thumbsup:
Thanks A - I had a feeling it might have been that one it looks the closest from my quick butchers...much appreciated as always!
Allectus

Class 4 short x farthing.

A ;)
figgis

Alexander, you're starting to get right on my ends! What next - a gold and garnet Saxon sword pommel? :lol:

Blimey, chap, your finds keep on coming, and long may that continue :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:41 pm Alexander, you're starting to get right on my ends! What next - a gold and garnet Saxon sword pommel? :lol:

Blimey, chap, your finds keep on coming, and long may that continue :thumbsup:
do you know what, I thought long and hard while I wasn't finding much this morning... it was so nice to be out I was so relaxed and 'switched off' I really didn't care much about anything least of all finding stuff... all camera equip left at home... ( went and dug it out though!)

The point is that I wouldn't have dug that little gold a year or so ago I would have walked on it was just a wispy blip... but years of using the deus has now taught me to take note and dig these.... if I fancy it.... even in "switched off" mode. You know what they say about luck and practice! And Thank God I don't have the remote; switching off would be impossible! Hope all well!
Jamesey1981

More lovely finds, well done mate.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
mattjb

Two crackers there, especially the gold! Seems like you are digging bucket listers on a weekly basis at the moment!
Well done. I’m going to have to look out for these whispy deus sounds when I’m out and about. Do you only dig them if they are two way or dig them even if you can only get them from one direction if you know what I mean?
HolzHammer

Hi Matt, it helps if they are two way definitely, but when it just a wisp its not always "solid" two way... the trick is, if you are fairly sure its not iron and that 'wisp' is most often not, then I dig... "if I fancy it".... if I get nothing at all with the pinpointer after about 9 or so inches then I tend to stop... nothing good that wispy is going to be much deeper but big iron will be even deeper...! I supect like with all detectors, after a while you just know! Hope all well with you!
Steve_JT

The best gold to find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well found and saved :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
mattjb

HolzHammer wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:43 pm Hi Matt, it helps if they are two way definitely, but when it just a wisp its not always "solid" two way... the trick is, if you are fairly sure its not iron and that 'wisp' is most often not, then I dig... "if I fancy it".... if I get nothing at all with the pinpointer after about 9 or so inches then I tend to stop... nothing good that wispy is going to be much deeper but big iron will be even deeper...! I supect like with all detectors, after a while you just know! Hope all well with you!
Thanks for that A. I’ll bear that in mind next time. I guess it will be hard to spot these whispy ones when you are getting a lot of squeaks in the irony areas. Do you tend to stick with -6 discrim in hot in heavy iron areas or raise the discrim a bit to lose a bit of noise?
All good (ish) with me, been enjoying using the deus lite and think I picked it up surprisingly quickly.I like the feedback you get from using it in hot and have found some really nice bits, including my first ever Celtic and Roman silver coins.Most of my good fields are now seeded and out of bounds now though.
Unfortunately a bad case of housemaids knee along with cellulitis in the same knee has put me out of action for a few weeks but on the mend now. Family holiday this week and a week long fishing trip the week after means no detecting for a while!
HolzHammer

Steve_JT wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm The best gold to find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well found and saved :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
Thanks Steve!
HolzHammer

mattjb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:58 pm Thanks for that A. I’ll bear that in mind next time. I guess it will be hard to spot these whispy ones when you are getting a lot of squeaks in the irony areas. Do you tend to stick with -6 discrim in hot in heavy iron areas or raise the discrim a bit to lose a bit of noise?
All good (ish) with me, been enjoying using the deus lite and think I picked it up surprisingly quickly.I like the feedback you get from using it in hot and have found some really nice bits, including my first ever Celtic and Roman silver coins.Most of my good fields are now seeded and out of bounds now though.
Unfortunately a bad case of housemaids knee along with cellulitis in the same knee has put me out of action for a few weeks but on the mend now. Family holiday this week and a week long fishing trip the week after means no detecting for a while!
I only raise it if the ground sound is driving me mad so very rarely... i'd prefer to turn the sound down a semi notch! Jealous of your fishing trip - where are you going snd what are you after?!
HolzHammer

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm More lovely finds, well done mate.
Thank you very much!
HolzHammer

Allectus wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:31 pm Class 4 short x farthing.

A ;)
Thanks A, will Spink it now!