Scottish hammered, Rose farthing and unusual seal?

TheFenTiger

Ventured down to my main permission hoping the sun and wind had hardened it up after last weeks rain and sure enough it had. They had been working hard to get everything drilled. The talk of 3 in 1 was certainly true of one of the big fields. Bottom has had what I thought was OSR but it turns out it is actually cover crop waiting for some sheep to top it off, the top had been ploughed and has a border of rough plough with a centre drilled section. I headed over to my purse-loss corner, which when I was last here was stubble but was now perfectly flat drilled wheat. The surface was nice and firm and not sticky which made for great detecting.

I was looking for more coins to add to the purse-loss and it does amaze me that they still keep turning up. Got a nice signal, opened the small clod to see another penny. Didn't look too close at first then realised that there were stars instead of pellets. Closer look at the obverse confirmed it was an Alexander III.

Only a few feet away on the next pass was a nice little Charles Rose farthing. Always nice to find but this is probably my best condition one.

I then went down to my favourite field which has a very poor OSR crop that has more bare patches than crop so looks like a disaster this year which is not good. I found what I think is a tiny seal matrix. I wonder if it could be a religious seal with the cross? Unless it is something completely different.

Shown next to a "standard" seal

Dave
Jamesey1981

That is a nice rose farthing, I've found a few of those now and they're always grotty for me, but the last couple if trips out have yielded George 3rd half pennies with some actual detail on them so maybe it'll be my day for a nice rose farthing soon.

Some nice finds there. :thumbsup:
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
JohnDeus

Fantastic Hammy :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Those rose farthings are common finds for me but I’ve never found a lead seal and you have a beauty there! Superb finds, as already said that Scottish penny is a beauty :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Super finds there. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Has to be a seal, doesn't it? Crude, yes, but I can' t think what else it could be
Reiver

Really nice finds !
Love the hammered,
Well found and well saved :thumbsup:
Reiver
TheFenTiger

figgis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 pm Has to be a seal, doesn't it? Crude, yes, but I can' t think what else it could be
Only other thing I can think of is possibly a religious pendant but I would have thought it would be too heavy. I do wonder if it is ecclesiastical and relates to something to do with a monk or monastery.
Dave
Metalurgy

A great collection there that hammered looks in fine condition.👍
Easylife

TheFenTiger wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm Only other thing I can think of is possibly a religious pendant but I would have thought it would be too heavy. I do wonder if it is ecclesiastical and relates to something to do with a monk or monastery.
It looks like letters on the back, SC or SG? And maybe a design above them? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TheFenTiger

Easylife wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:43 pm It looks like letters on the back, SC or SG? And maybe a design above them? :Thinking:
Might be
Dave