The mole missed it ... . ID as Henry VI

Saffron

I went out for a very short session early yesterday evening, and as late it was on the closest permission right on the edge of the village.

After nearly having a heart attack as a person walked around the car as I took my head out of the boot and took me by surprise away I went.

This field is rather strange as all the other fields around here have brown soil which forms a reasonably solid sod when dug in this small (2.5 acre) field the soil is jet black and as soon as you get below the grass roots is very loose and falls into a heap when dug. So this makes it very easy to probe around with the pinpointer to locate the target.

Detector indicates the first target is about 6" deep so start proding around with pinpointer, suddenly it shoots into a void as I hit a moles run, turns out to be rubbish, (just inside the gate obviously used to be a rubbish dump so I normally only dig one or two targets in that area before moving on).

A some more bits of rubbish then a very nearly blank George halfpenny, then a poor quality bag seal (only has a "J" on it, so no chance of being able to identify and research it to my disappointment).

As its starting to become dusk I get a quick "was that a nice sound" between some bits of rubbish, try a few different angles and manage to get a solid TID of 11 on the Nox from in the middle of the junk. This is often lead on this site, but it gave a feeling it might just be something better for some reason. Out comes the surface sod and start the proding around with the pinpointer, for the third time in about 30 minutes it nearly disappears into another mole run. As pull the pinpointer back the loose soil falls away and I spot what I suspect is a small button (the site is full of buttons, especially silver ones which initially always make you think "hammered" then disappoint) butit is then immediately burried again. Remove a handfull of soil with the target in it and quickly locate it. But I was wrong, this WAS a hammered :Party: :Party:

Clipped, dslightly battered and well worn but more than happy with it, as although the adjacent old orchard has produced a hammered this is the first from this little field which I have frequently been on (although the grass is normally longer).

Unfortunately I am hopeless at IDing them, (sadly I do not get enough to practice on), so an ID would be much appreciated.

Evan
Attachments
DSCN0768.JPG
DSCN0765.JPG
TheFenTiger

It is a York coin, that is about as far as I can go, fairly late, probably a Henry.
Dave
Allectus

Henry VI/Archbishop John Kemp rosette-mascle - York.

A ;)
shaggybfc

That’s a nice return for your session :thumbsup:

I have a few fields like the ones you describe. Surrounding fields clay and one in the middle nice soft dark soil. I was then told by one of the locals that this field was used for the waste from a sewage treatment plant for years. That’ll explain the dark soil and also the random Durex packets I find. :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:51 pm
I have a few fields like the ones you describe. Surrounding fields clay and one in the middle nice soft dark soil. I was then told by one of the locals that this field was used for the waste from a sewage treatment plant for years. That’ll explain the dark soil and also the random Durex packets I find. :D
Could be handy if you forget your gloves! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

A great result and even more welcome where they seldom show. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

TheFenTiger wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:00 pm It is a York coin, that is about as far as I can go, fairly late, probably a Henry.
Dave, thanks for that. You were correct about it being a Henry.

Allectus wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:24 pm Henry VI/Archbishop John Kemp rosette-mascle - York.

A ;)

Allectus, brilliant as always. Very many thanks.

So we are going back to 1430-1431, its nice when when you can get an accurate date like that as with so many hammered coins they span several years.

Evan
Oxgirl

Excellent news on the hammered Saffron. Know you love your Roman most but I think you secretly have a soft spot for these little silver coins too :D

Great write up and glad you are out detecting in reasonable length grass instead of the usual impossible length you have to endure. If it was super short I bet that place would come alive!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:25 am Excellent news on the hammered Saffron. Know you love your Roman most but I think you secretly have a soft spot for these little silver coins too :D

Great write up and glad you are out detecting in reasonable length grass instead of the usual impossible length you have to endure. If it was super short I bet that place would come alive!
Its not that I "Love Roman", its more a case that my permissions do not have any and even on organised digs my record on them is so pitiful that I get more excited when I rarely find one.

Trust me I am more than happy to get the odd hammy. I know how a lot of people have never found one after many years detecting, while others have only had very few. Additionally I am not one of those lucky people with a permission where they frequently turn up so I do appreciate them.

I was very happy with this one more so as I think its my first Henry VI, and can also be dated to 1430-1431. Coincidentally Joan of Arc was captured in 1430 and burnt at the stake in 1431 - a kind of connection you can not make when the same coin design covered a much longer period.

Looking at the obverse I thought this coin had been heavily clipped as the inner circle (which probably has a proper name that I do not know) was nearly touching the one edge; but by looking at it in more detail it has just been badly struck and is the correct size for a penny. (Sorry I forgot to add a scale when I took the photos, but nice to still get a full ID unlike would have happened on some sites).

Even now the grass in that field could be a lot shorter, ideally 100 sheep on it for a month would solve my problem!. But sadly it never has any livestock on it and is only rarely topped and then not as short as I want so I am sure there is more to be found. But as its right on my doorstep maybe its a positive that I can not detect it properly as it ensures that I will always be able to go back there suspecting there are finds to be made, rather than if it had short grass and I had "done it to death" for a period then know it has little to produce in the future.

Evan
figgis

Great find, Evan. :thumbsup: